KLS for HoH? | The Boneyard

KLS for HoH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think it's time we had this discussion. Sometimes, a Husky guarantees herself a spot on the HoH wall as a sophomore. Bria did so in 2012, as did KML in 2013. In 2016-17, KLS is looking like the MVP of a team that may be ranked #1 by the conclusion of the regular season. If she can keep scoring about 20 per game, she'd probably even be a candidate for NPOY as well. I won't get greedy, but of course it'd be great to see.

The WBCA panel is watching, and she's a no-brainer for WBCA if she keeps playing at this clip.

Indeed, it's time to say hell yes about KLS again. HoH Wall for Katie Lou? Hell yes! Good times are ahead...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She is playing with a lot of confidence on offense and her defense is solid as well - using her long arms to deflect lots of passes and intimidate jump shooters.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
KLS is a significantly better player then she was last year. Besides her defense, she's playing so much like Stewie did on the offensive end. She can drive to the basket, pull up to make jump shots off the curl and then of course her 3 point shot. She's playing defense better then last year, she's just not at Stewie's level YET. If she continues she will definitely make WBCA All American Team and maybe a couple of others. If UConn ends up as the overall #1 seed has a shot at NPOY. Kelsey Plum and A'ja Wilson may currently lead for the award today. Only thinking that because of the publicity those two players have received prior to the start of the season and it has continued.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Collier is the MVP. Not all that close IMO. But kls will be on HoH too
It is an interesting question - I think the real team MVP is probably Kia in her 'quiet' way, but you could argue for any one of Gabby, Kia, Napheesa, and Lou - And I think if you look at the team needs Lou presents the consistent scoring threat outside in that is unique - Gabby and Napheesa cover for each other somewhat with their interior play and neither is really dangerous beyond 15-18' - they can threaten there like Morgan did last year, but in general teams are willing to let them take those shots rather than have them driving inside or posting.

Reaction Score
It is an interesting question - I think the real team MVP is probably Kia in her 'quiet' way, but you could argue for any one of Gabby, Kia, Napheesa, and Lou - And I think if you look at the team needs Lou presents the consistent scoring threat outside in that is unique - Gabby and Napheesa cover for each other somewhat with their interior play and neither is really dangerous beyond 15-18' - they can threaten there like Morgan did last year, but in general teams are willing to let them take those shots rather than have them driving inside or posting.
This is quite the interesting conundrum that we've found ourselves in... :oops: Our Returning 4 are so good, a case for any one of them could be made!

I would like to suggest MVP and MOP to solve this situation we've found ourselves in. To much talent to limit it to one title.

MVP - Kia and Gabby. Kia for her quietness, drive, and for being the leader and glue that is really keeping this team together. This is, for all intents and purposes, her team. Gabby for her ability to get better and better, and be whatever this team needs of her. Those two are incredibly valuable to this team for these reasons. They play hard, they work hard, and they love this team with everything they've got. That's invaluable.

MOP - KLS and Pheesa. Both are having stellar seasons thus far, and they have emerged as two resilient and ridiculously talented players. KLS is toeing the line of Stewie territory, in my opinion. Pheesa came out of the gate like a wrecking ball, and while some predicted that, it was completely unexpected for me. Put the ball in either of their hands and, more often than not, great things will happen. I can't wait to see how they progress through not only this season, but the rest of their careers at UConn as well.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion. They don't pay me the bucks to vote on these things :cool:

Reaction Score
Both Katie Lou and Napheeesa should be NPOY ccandidates.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think the truth is Lou and Pheesa as seniors are going to be playing on such a high level we may be talking transcendent players. Lou is an interesting player in that she plays every position on the floor. She's also the only player Geno isolates at the elbow. She's the biggest match up nightmare on the squad. Pheesa on the other hand gets the nod for posting on the block and is nasty off the pick and roll. She's the player with the most variety of shots and has the best footwork in the post. She also has the best cut moves laterally and to the basket.

Forced to pick one, I'll take the one with the ball.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The criterion for the HoH is being named All-American by WBCA or (IIRC) AP. When that happens (post-season) up go numbers of new AA's. But not until that criterion is met. (Expectations don't count.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Lou will be a HOH member. I think AA is likely this year. In terms of NPOY, things look open: Turner's and Wilson's stats are down, Mitchell is a chucker, Plum is a possibility, Napheesa and Lou are in the mix.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I forgot one thing. Lou is also the only player Geno consistently calls for a play off the curl. Money in the bank.

Reaction Score
More importantly, it is quite possible that the first three picks in the 2019 draft will again be UConn players. Right now, though, it is way too early to even guess what the order will be. Too many things can happen between now and then.

Reaction Score
This thread has got me thinking of just how loaded next year's team is going to be. IMHO I can see Nurse, Williams, Stevens, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield, and Walker as future All Americans. That would make 7 HOH on one team with the possibility of more in Coombs/Gordon/Espinoza-Hunter.

Reaction Score
[I think the truth is Lou and Pheesa as seniors are going to be playing on such a high level we may be talking transcendent players.]

"Transcendant players" number maybe three or four every decade. Uconn's three - Diana, Maya, and Breanna - are the only Huskies who won NPOYs in multiple years. Others include Parker, Griner. In my opinion, if UConn had a transcendant talent at this time, both Lou and Napheesa would not be putting up quite the PPG numbers they are recording. I would be happy if they could develop to be the quality players that Svet and Swin were. We have a huge truckload of talent coming in next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom