KLS Article - Inside an Olympian's COVID-19 Heartbreak (merged threads) | The Boneyard

KLS Article - Inside an Olympian's COVID-19 Heartbreak (merged threads)

Reaction Score
Katie Lou has been plagued by a lot of bad luck. She missed the National Championship game her freshman year with a broken foot. Then two heartbreaking Final Four losses cost her a chance to play in another Nat. Champ game. And now to miss the Olympics... very sad. She seems like a great young woman... perhaps in Seattle she'll get to perform in a WNBA Championship game...

Reaction Score
I feel bad for her, but it could have been avoided if she got vaccinated.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know which vaccine she received. Many professional athletes are opting for the single-shot J&J vaccine since they don't need to set up a second shot that could interfere with their schedules. While this vaccine appears to provide good protection against severe Covid, there seems to be a lot more breakthrough infections. Take the NY Yankees for example. I have not yet seen good data comparing the different vaccines for breakthrough infections. This is in part because the US stopped recording breakthrough cases except for hospitalization and death.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know which vaccine she received. Many professional athletes are opting for the single-shot J&J vaccine since they don't need to set up a second shot that could interfere with their schedules. While this vaccine appears to provide good protection against severe Covid, there seems to be a lot more breakthrough infections. Take the NY Yankees for example. I have not yet seen good data comparing the different vaccines for breakthrough infections. This is in part because the US stopped recording breakthrough cases except for hospitalization and death.
I think whenever you use the term "fully vaccinated", the implication is pretty clear that it is the 2 shot vaccine.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nope - J&J plus two weeks time = fully vaccinated
I suppose that is possible but I would be very very surprised.

I guess someone going that route is as happy shooting 50% from the FT line as than 80%. And I doubt that shortcut argument would fly in Storrs.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I feel bad for her, but it could have been avoided if she got vaccinated.
She had been vaccinated since April.

Reaction Score
Nope - J&J plus two weeks time = fully vaccinated
The VA told me 45 days minimum and to keep a low profile for sixty days if at all possible. Of course with the VA here it could have been the J&V, (V for Vinny in the white van) so mileage may vary.

Reaction Score
2 weeks post-injection was used as the point where efficacy against infection was measured in the clinical trials for the J&J vaccine. The results showed only 66.3% protection starting 2 weeks after the second injection vs the mRNA vaccines that showed >90% protection 2 weeks after the second injection. Since that was how the trial was designed, 2 weeks was accepted by the FDA. But even in the trials, it was noticed that suppression of deaths was not complete until 4 weeks post-injection. Since then it has been observed that antibody levels continue to increase over a longer period of time with the J&J vaccine. That's why some providers (like Vinny) are now recommending waiting longer before you are considered fully protected.

In any case, while protection against severe disease, hospitalization, and death has been holding up for at least 6 months. But there seems to be overall less protection against infection and mild/moderate Covid relative to the mRNA vaccines.

KLS came down with Covid a little more than 2 months after she was vaccinated, which should have been near the peak of protection if she indeed got the J&J vaccine. The Delta variant seems to be causing more breakthrough infection regardless of the vaccine or prior infection status. She contracted what appears to be a mild case of Covid. This is what happens in the majority of breakthrough cases.

High-level athletes are set up emotionally to deal with injuries. They know that if they follow rehab protocols and work hard they can come back. But something like KLS's situation must be much harder on her mentally. There is nothing she can do except wait and see how things turn out. Let's hope that it does not have long-term consequences for her career and overall health.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Katie Lou putting all her energy into the Storm

Katie Lou Samuelson opens up on disappointment of missing Olympics with COVID-19, how she coped and how she’s ready to move forward - Hartford Courant

“She’s looked amazing,” Quinn said of Samuelson. “She’s looked dynamic, shots flowing, understanding what we want her to do, very confident and things of that nature. So I think this is going to be just like the reset and refresh that she may need to just get her mind moving forward and in a good space that we need her to be in for us to be successful as a team.

“I get this chance to play on Thursday, and you never know when the game will be taken away from you again,” Samuelson said. “[I’m] making sure you make the most out of every single day.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom