Kismet, Destiny: For this UConn WBB team!? | The Boneyard

Kismet, Destiny: For this UConn WBB team!?

Reaction Score
Chaotic year that could easily have been discouraging, spinning into a collapse.
But as one or more key players were out, another or more produced - newcomer and/or veteran to keep the season afloat.
The team was never able to settle on a rotation, least of all the expected one, throughout the season....unable to refine team play or even how they would play with the constant changes in mix of players available to practice, never mind to play.....
By some miracle, the team became whole as the regular season was coming to a close but with oh so short a time to work on team play and settling on the rotation for the tournaments
Azzi finally gets a run of games to show what she brings to the team, the seniors start to play better with the urgency demanded by their dwindling time with the team.....their last chance to define their legacy
The final important piece returns but oh so tentative, showing only flashes of what defined her as the player of the year before....
After an easy Big East tournament run, the crucible began with surviving UCF....then flashes of brilliance against Indiana
Suddenly Paige returns, snaps into the player she is and carries the team to the FF against NCState....
But, before that, just as the team had become whole, Dorka, the insurance and potential difference-maker in the post for this Big Dance goes down....the insurance gone!.....this team embraced her in spirit for that resolute regional final win to reserve their place in the FF.
As they start in foul trouble against Stanford in the SF, with Aaliyah and Azzi taking a seat, the young ones brought energy and Momma E played like Cool Hand Luke - steely nerves.
Who would have expected Nika, the shortest in the team, to grab 8 rebounds in 18 minutes and was all over the floor covering whoever; Caroline too, played good defense.....
Ah, the defense.....confused and harried Stanford into missing badly from distance!
As Azzi sat, Evina cooly delivered a trifecta of 3 pointers in the first half
Cold-shooting Christyn delivers a crucial 3 pointer as Stanford closes in late in the game, shooting without hesitation
Perfect foul-shooting from Azzi was expected but the rest of the team delivered as never before, including Olivia and Aaliyah!
And then they survived the last minutes of careless play that narrowed the score for some nervous moments, perhaps to test the depth of their resolve?
And, Paige was Paige for the 2nd game in a row....
Time stood still for a few seconds, no exuberant celebration at the buzzer....
Finally, the team declaring "One More" in a huddle at the end before they faced the world, post game.
Oh yes, they have rendered their Coach speechless, now repeating what he has said before about them....

If this is not Destiny, Kismet, then what is?

And for it to happen again where the string of 11 NCs began; what could be more poetic than that? (Never mind that it is Paige's home city!)

UConn WBB fandom.....all together now, wish it to be true!

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chaotic year that could easily have been discouraging, spinning into a collapse.
But as one or more key players were out, another or more produced - newcomer and/or veteran to keep the season afloat.
The team was never able to settle on a rotation, least of all the expected one, throughout the season....unable to refine team play or even how they would play with the constant changes in mix of players available to practice, never mind to play.....
By some miracle, the team became whole as the regular season was coming to a close but with oh so short a time to work on team play and settling on the rotation for the tournaments
Azzi finally gets a run of games to show what she brings to the team, the seniors start to play better with the urgency demanded by their dwindling time with the team.....their last chance to define their legacy
The final important piece returns but oh so tentative, showing only flashes of what defined her as the player of the year before....
After an easy Big East tournament run, the crucible began with surviving UCF....then flashes of brilliance against Indiana
Suddenly Paige returns, snaps into the player she is and carries the team to the FF against NCState....
But, before that, just as the team was to become whole, Dorka, the insurance and potential difference-maker in the post for this Big Dance goes down....the insurance gone!.....such this team embraced her in spirit for that resolute regional final win to reserve their place in the FF.
As they start in foul trouble against Stanford in the SF, with Aaliyah and Azzi taking a seat, the young ones brought energy and Momma E played like Cool Hand Luke - steely nerves.
Who would have expected Nika, the shortest in the team, to grab 8 rebounds in 18 minutes and was all over the floor covering whoever; Caroline too, played good defense.....
Ah, the defense.....confused and harried Stanford into missing badly from distance!
As Azzi sat, Evina cooly delivered a trifecta of 3 pointers in the first half
Cold-shooting Christyn delivers a crucial 3 pointer as Stanford closes in late in the game, shooting without hesitation
Perfect foul-shooting from Azzi was expected but the rest of the team delivered as never before, including Olivia and Aaliyah!
And then they survived the last minutes of careless play that narrowed the score for some nervous moments, perhaps to test the depth of their resolve?
And, Paige was Paige for the 2nd game in a row....
Time stood still for a few seconds, no exuberant celebration at the buzzer....
Finally, the team declaring "One More" in a huddle at the end before they faced the world, post game.
Oh yes, they have rendered their Coach speechless, now repeating what he has said before about them....

If this is not Destiny, Kismet, then what is?

And for it to happen again where the string of 11 NCs began; what could be more poetic than that? (Never mind that it is Paige's home city!)

Don't forget the mystical similarities between this NC run and 1995. The only thing missing is Stanford Coach Vanderveer telling the press UConn does not have a chance to win the NC after beating Stanford. ;)
at least as far as I know.

Reaction Score
Don't forget the mystical similarities between this NC run and 1995. The only thing missing is Stanford Coach Vanderveer telling the press UConn does not have a chance to win the NC after beating Stanford. ;)
at least as far as I know.
I had edited to add that in just before your comment. But yes, definitely.....you are more specific about the mystical element....just because they beat Stanford in the SFs.

As some else said:

It's the exact same city where, on the exact same day in 1995, UConn beat Stanford in the Final Four en route to the Huskies' first national championship. That history repeated itself on Friday night.

Reaction Score
My reason say Gamecocks; my heart says UCONN.
My Prognostication is UCONN 65 USC 62
May all the stars align properly in Minneapolis and,
as Geno says, " we get a little help from the other team"!
Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
My reason say Gamecocks; my heart says UCONN.
My Prognostication is UCONN 65 USC 62
May all the stars align properly in Minneapolis and,
as Geno says, " we get a little help from the other team"!
Go Huskies!!
It is easy to think that way. ESPN experts did too because of the dominant post play of both Stanford and SC. SC's is even stronger than Stanford's, though less mobile and they really don't have an equivalent of Ms. H. Jones but they do have fast guards.

After watching how the surviving UConn post players Olivia and Aaliyah managed through the past two games in a sea of foul trouble, I am reassured in my long held view that this UConn team will hoist NC12. Just a feeling before but they continue to give more and more reasons to believe that it will happen, despite the fact that their expected rotation has had limited time to be together.....and yet, they are all playing well enough to win these big games.

I am even thinking that both Nika and Caroline will end up playing key roles again in this NC game. But, it doesn't matter, as long as they win.

Reaction Score
Does anybody else think it's ludicrous that Geno is getting no coaching awards this year? To have his team not only in the FF but now advanced to the title game, given the depths that significant injury took them to this year? All those streaks broken (first loss to an unranked team in some ridiculously high number of games, a Conference loss for the first time in 9 yrs., etc.), but the FF streak intact, and now playing for the national championship. It's amazing, but he generally doesn't get the credit he and his coaching staff deserve -- because this level of sustained excellence is just somehow always expected of UConn. Staley is the COY??? What??? Was her key player out for 3 months??

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can see it now if they win on Sunday. They will in a way have two parades, the first in Minneapolis where the hometown fans line the street to send Paige off and then the official one in Connecticut.;)

Reaction Score
Destiny versus Unfinished Business! Uconn
nation thinks they are the former and Gamecock nation thinks they are the latter. Each team is entitled to their belief in the own “specialness”, but only one can be right! Time will tell!!

Reaction Score
Destiny versus Unfinished Business! Uconn
nation thinks they are the former and Gamecock nation thinks they are the latter. Each team is entitled to their belief in the own “specialness”, but only one can be right! Time will tell!!
Actually, Unfinished Business was what brought Evina back for another year.....this, too, is part of this UConn team's mantra.

They started the year with this....

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Expectations can be a funny thing. I came into this tournament thinking an E8 run would be satisfying and anything beyond that a pleasant surprise. Although we believed that they could, the Huskies had not shown this season that they could compete with the top seeds. Maybe I was just providing myself an emotional cushion against disappointment, but I was prepared to see the FF streak end. After seeing them outwill NC State and outplay Stanford, I've come back to my senses. I think Liv and AE will do enough to keep us in the game, and our backcourt outplays theirs for the Husky win.

Reaction Score
Does anybody else think it's ludicrous that Geno is getting no coaching awards this year? To have his team not only in the FF but now advanced to the title game, given the depths that significant injury took them to this year? All those streaks broken (first loss to an unranked team in some ridiculously high number of games, a Conference loss for the first time in 9 yrs., etc.), but the FF streak intact, and now playing for the national championship. It's amazing, but he generally doesn't get the credit he and his coaching staff deserve -- because this level of sustained excellence is just somehow always expected of UConn. Staley is the COY??? What??? Was her key player out for 3 months??
Actually, from the way he sounds and the way he looks after the last two games, I believe that to him the best reward has been how his players have responded to the most unique year of misfortunes that were visited upon his team during his whole coaching life. He looks absolutely happy with it....looking more relaxed in the sidelines than ever before.....trusting that whoever he puts in will deliver. So far, they have.

Reaction Score
We have always had SC's number.8 wins 2 losses. their sole champion win was courtesy of Mississippi State who beat UCONN in OT by 2 points. At that time SC had never beat UCONN. SC had already beat MISS ST 3 times in league play. Yes they are a powerhouse now and yes they have the NO.1 player in Boston, BUT, Geno has always been prepared for them and he will be this game also. This is our destiny and our NC. GO HUSKIES!!! ONE MORE!

Reaction Score
IMO UConn, thanks to its very difficult regular season, has something they have lacked the last few seasons and that is mental toughness. They've been through it all this season: injuries, illnesses, you name it they've had to deal with it.

Their game may not always be pretty but they know how to gut it out and win. That matters when you're going for a National Championship.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
IMO UConn, thanks to its very difficult regular season, has something they have lacked the last few seasons and that is mental toughness. They've been through it all this season: injuries, illnesses, you name it they've had to deal with it.

Their game may not always be pretty but they know how to gut it out and win. That matters when you're going for a National Championship.
If there can be a "best" part of this, is that all four classes have experienced this season, so there will be 3 classes going forward that can pull from this experience and hopefully teach the rookies coming in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom