Kimani podcast | The Boneyard

Kimani podcast

Reaction Score
I have also heard that Dan and his father may be getting on the Basketball Immersion podcast soon. My favorite coaching podcast by a long shot

Reaction Score
Really good conversation. We're lucky to have Kimani

Talked about his hardships through his life. How much help he had coming up through the ranks. Mentioned Cronin, Pitino, Wright, etc. And his path coming up through grassroots AAU starting with 6th-graders.

Apparently didn't think about coaching college at all at first. Just focused on helping the kids get to good high schools and colleges.

Says that he is 100% focused on finding players with values. And that he's never won a recruiting battle with a player who doesn't have similar values to him.

Total family man. He can't stop bringing the conversation back to his kids.

Called out some grad transfer anonymously... says he averaged 25 mins a game on a good team but left. Didn't seem to make sense. Red flag to our coaching staff.

Says that he looks for character when recruiting--even how the parents act at AAU events. Says a kid with a concerning attitude has never, ever paid off in his coaching career.

They also look for "talent" of course. Then they look for the intangibles... seriousness, commitment to improving, etc. What are the "people" around him like--mentors, family, etc. They take kids on upside only if they have a good support system around them. Doesn't want the kind of family that will complain about the coach for stuff and the kid--wants a family that supports the program.

Reaction Score

Talked about his hardships through his life. How much help he had coming up through the ranks. Mentioned Cronin, Pitino, Wright, etc. And his path coming up through grassroots AAU starting with 6th-graders.

Apparently didn't think about coaching college at all at first. Just focused on helping the kids get to good high schools and colleges.

Says that he is 100% focused on finding players with values. And that he's never won a recruiting battle with a player who doesn't have similar values to him.

Called out some grad transfer anonymously... says he averaged 25 mins a game on a good team but left. Didn't seem to make sense. Red flag to our coaching staff.

Says that he looks for character when recruiting--even how the parents act at AAU events. Says a kid with a concerning attitude has never, ever paid off in his coaching career.

They also look for "talent" of course. Then they look for the intangibles... seriousness, commitment to improving, etc. What are the "people" around him like--mentors, family, etc. They take kids on upside only if they have a good support system around them. Doesn't want the kind of family that will complain about the coach for stuff and the kid--wants a family that supports the program.
Sounds exactly how Jay Wright recruits.

Reaction Score
If Hurley wants to build a high quality program for 10+ years it's what you have to do. There are plenty of teams that are a flash in the pan with a couple good recruits. I'd much prefer the long road, even if it means we take longer building something special.
Are you kidding me, I love it. Jay Wright has culrivated the best system in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Modern Villanova on steroids? Not sure that’s possible . I love Hurley, but let’s relax a little and enjoy the climb without unrealistically high expectations.
Modern Villanova on steroids is prime UConn...

Reaction Score
Modern Villanova on steroids is prime UConn...
Tough to say on steroids . Nova has won 2 of the past 4 championships . Winning more than that seems unrealistic for anyone , but I would love for you to be right for sure.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Doesn't want the kind of family that will complain about the coach for stuff and the kid--wants a family that supports the program.
So he favors Kemba's and Bazz's moms over Jackson's and Oriakhi's dads. Sounds reasonable.

There are plenty of teams that are a flash in the pan with a couple good recruits. I'd much prefer the long road, even if it means we take longer building something special.
Building something special is great. But retaining something special is more greaterer. Nothing lasts forever, but UConn under Jim Calhoun was special. Looking forward to a similar path under Hurley.
The absolute, top tier HS player is pretty much a one and done these days. Having ONE player of that caliber every now and may not kill you, but trying to build your team around top 20 players is becoming a losing battle. Many of them really aren't 1&D players, but they (and their support groups) think they are the next Zion. Problem with the next Zion is, if you have three of them, none of them will be happy. If you have one with a decent supporting cast, when he's gone after that first year, you have a remaining team that may have been a great supporting cast for a superstar, but founders without the dominant force on the court.

I love Hurley, but let’s relax a little and enjoy the climb without unrealistically high expectations.
You need a pair of national flag blue tinted glasses son. Unrealistically high expectations are the heart and soul of college basketball fandom!

C

Chief00

If anyone is looking to kill some time in quarantine like me, this could be an option later

Some big time AAU programs - great idea. Got to adjust with the times.

C

Chief00

I agree, #ChiefCertified

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom