Kim Mulkey undergoes spinal fusion surgery | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey undergoes spinal fusion surgery

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ouch! Whatever one may think of her coaching abilities or her inability to put bad acts by members of her sports community into its proper perspective, the woman is a warrior. Best of luck to a tough old bird.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Best wishes on a speedy recovery to her. Sometimes her passion clouds her judgement, but sometimes mine does too. She was a fantastic player, and has a great coaching record.
For those who have commented for years about the frequent pained expressions she often has, maybe this explains a few. Don't view her in the top 3-5 coaches but feel she has consistently been in top 10. All the best Coach Kim. Your make women's basketball more interesting

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My late mother in law had this surgery twice. I wouldn't wish this surgery on anyone, but I get the impression that who does it makes all the difference. From what I know, Baylor has a really good medical school, so Kim Mulkey probably had a great surgeon. I hope she makes a speedy recovery, but don't expect her to be doing her typical antics, at least early in the season.

Reaction Score
I hope everything goes well for her. Our friend had it done and it has made a huge difference in his life.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
As much as she drives me nuts sometimes, I'm sure I would love her if she were the coach of my team. Wish her all the best. My wife had a crazy surgery called a corpectomy (spelling?) where they actually remove an entire vertebrae and put in a spacer that eventually is overgrown with bone. She was young (mid 40s) at the time and tolerated it pretty well. But recovery is challenging and living with some significant restrictions for a year can be frustrating. When we joke about it now, we talk about the first time I had to shower her after the surgery. She's not feeling great and we have the brace off, which is scary because if she moves the wrong way it can cause damage .... etc, etc.... So we are very serious and getting this done. I was outside of the tub and reaching in to wash her legs and I was just overcome with uncontrollable laughter as I had this thought that I blurted out to her and cracked her up, too: "This is very different from the memories I have of showering you when we were dating."
Anyway, nothing but the best wishes out to Coach Mulkey.

Reaction Score
This was mentioned in another thread but wanted to start this one so that Kim can receive our best wishes
Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey to undergo spinal fusion surgery

Best of luck for successful surgery and speedy recovery Kim.
Thanks Coco: This is a chance to show a tough competitor we respect good to better competition and wish her the best of health. Like many other Uconn Fans I wish her well and a speedy recovery!!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Best wishes on a speedy recovery to her. Sometimes her passion clouds her judgement, but sometimes mine does too. She was a fantastic player, and has a great coaching record.
I got a "like" on this from Broadway Va. So glad to see him back in the yard. And it is always nice to get likes from fellow Boneheads.

Reaction Score
This was mentioned in another thread but wanted to start this one so that Kim can receive our best wishes
Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey to undergo spinal fusion surgery

Best of luck for successful surgery and speedy recovery Kim.
All will be well. I had two spinal surgeries in my 60's that included the removal of discs and parts of a couple vertebrae. Although my spine is now fused from C3 through C7, my only limitation is in range of motion. Then again, before the surgery my range was limited by pain. The recovery was a pain in the butt (for example not being able to drive for two months) but not difficult. Given what Kim has been through in her life, this will be a walk in the park. Come December, she will be more feisty than ever.

JordyG

Reaction Score
All will be well. I had two spinal surgeries in my 60's that included the removal of discs and parts of a couple vertebrae. Although my spine is now fused from C3 through C7, my only limitation is in range of motion. Then again, before the surgery my range was limited by pain. The recovery was a pain in the butt (for example not being able to drive for two months) but not difficult. Given what Kim has been through in her life, this will be a walk in the park. Come December, she will be more feisty than ever.
And back to doing this in no time.

Maybe when she's better she can give it real go. The Russian judge gave this only a 5.6.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And back to doing this in no time.

Maybe when she's better she can give it real go. The Russian judge gave this only a 5.6.

I'd like to see Kim dress in a layered look by wearing several lightweight jackets. That way, she can have multiple tosses in a game. Perhaps, some call would irk her so much that it would become known as the "3-jacket technical foul."

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Kim dress in a layered look by wearing several lightweight jackets. That way, she can have multiple tosses in a game. Perhaps, some call would irk her so much that it would become known as the "3-jacket technical foul."
LOL. Always worked for me in strip poker.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Most people need to wait for the surgeon’s okay before doing things like bending to pick something up afternthis surgery. I wonder if Kim’s first words when talking about the surgery were, “How long before I’ll be able to toss my jacket?”

JordyG

Reaction Score
Most people need to wait for the surgeon’s okay before doing things like bending to pick something up afternthis surgery. I wonder if Kim’s first words when talking about the surgery were, “How long before I’ll be able to toss my jacket?”
I think it was her aide that said, "How long before I'll have to pick one up". I just hope she continues to stop at the jacket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom