Kim Mulkey on Miss State Win | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey on Miss State Win

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have no idea why this showed up now.

"Q: Was it good for women’s basketball to have Mississippi State upset Connecticut in the Women’s Final Four semifinals? (Note: State beat Baylor in the regional final as well.)

A: I don’t know. I’ve been part of a dynasty when I was at Louisiana Tech. It’s hard for me to think what Connecticut is doing is bad. I’ve heard it. I’ve read it. It may be to people who have never been part of a dynasty. We were that dynasty in the early ’80s. I never thought it was bad as a coach and a player, and I don’t think it’s bad today. But when a Mississippi State does that for the first time, it brings extra excitement for their fans and that school — maybe more so than at a Connecticut that does it continually and is expected to do it. Sometimes you get spoiled at a school when you have so many (titles)."

Sort of unMulkey like seems to me. Maybe her hoof in mouth days are behind her or at least on summer hiatus.

Kramer Robertson's mom (and Baylor women's basketball coach) Kim Mulkey on life, sports and Kramer's hair

Reaction Score

"Q: Was it good for women’s basketball to have Mississippi State upset Connecticut in the Women’s Final Four semifinals? (Note: State beat Baylor in the regional final as well.)

A: I don’t know. I’ve been part of a dynasty when I was at Louisiana Tech. It’s hard for me to think what Connecticut is doing is bad. I’ve heard it. I’ve read it. It may be to people who have never been part of a dynasty. We were that dynasty in the early ’80s. I never thought it was bad as a coach and a player, and I don’t think it’s bad today. But when a Mississippi State does that for the first time, it brings extra excitement for their fans and that school — maybe more so than at a Connecticut that does it continually and is expected to do it. Sometimes you get spoiled at a school when you have so many (titles)."

Sort of unMulkey like seems to me. Maybe her hoof in mouth days are behind her or at least on summer hiatus.

Kramer Robertson's mom (and Baylor women's basketball coach) Kim Mulkey on life, sports and Kramer's hair
A very good perspective IMO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mulkey is a competitor who has been there and done that. She recognizes and respects greatness. She wants to be the UCONN of the future and you can bet that if she could win every champion she would do it and say "pooey" on those who say it's bad for the game. And look what it does for every school when UCONN comes to play on their campus. Ticket sales skyrocket and the other program gets exposure that they would not have received otherwise.

I wish Baylor and UCONN were playing this season but at least the series resumes next season. I'll be making a trip to Waco for that one. I think Kalani Brown will be in competition to be the number player drafted after her senior season. Her numbers are going to be crazy next season now that Mompremier will not be getting any of her minutes.

Reaction Score

Kim Mulkey --seemed to have it exactly correct. Mississippi St has bragging right--and their fans and the school should make the most they can of this--it won't last long (that isn't sour grapes, it's a fact). I do disagree with Ms Mulkey in that Uconn does not think ONLY National Championship--and that it is an expectation for ALL Uconn fans--certainly, as any other top 20 team--Uconn would be pleased should an NC fill their Xmas stocking each year--we all know it's an expectation, not a guarantee. (I hope)
All in all --a very Un Kim comment--and i applaude her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

She has said some of the same before, so I'm not surprised. I've made some wrongheaded remarks about Mulkey in this area which I've since disowned. I've also said as a mother, a friend and a warrior I'd share a foxhole with her anytime.

My feelings toward her ankle mouth habits remain the same however.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mulkey is a competitor who has been there and done that. She recognizes and respects greatness. She wants to be the UConn of the future and you can bet that if she could win every champion she would do it and say "pooey" on those who say it's bad for the game. And look what it does for every school when UConn comes to play on their campus. Ticket sales skyrocket and the other program gets exposure that they would not have received otherwise.

I wish Baylor and UConn were playing this season but at least the series resumes next season. I'll be making a trip to Waco for that one. I think Kalani Brown will be in competition to be the number player drafted after her senior season. Her numbers are going to be crazy next season now that Mompremier will not be getting any of her minutes.
Double like. Frankly an improved, healthier and hopefully trimmer Cox will be eating (!?) plenty of minutes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

What Kim said back in February was flat out wrong and how she handled the aftermath was severely poor, however that incident aside, she has always been competitive and respectful of perennial powers like Tenn, ND and UConn and her own team Baylor. After this past seasons UConn-Baylor game, I thought she was very gracious and well spoken. Her clock will always be wound a tad tight and let's face it, we will always be in awe of her outfits wanting to see the next jacket toss! I will cringe at times with her but I would be glad to shake her hand and thank her for what she has done for women's basketball as a player, Asst Coach and head coach. But mostly, I will laud her for her commitment to both her children's sports efforts and her willingness to put herself out there first and foremost like a proud parent. Kudos to Kim.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

IF the powers that be at Louisiana Tech were smart, they would have hired Mulkey to replace Barmore when he resigned.
She'd be doing for Tech what's she's doing for Baylor. A Tech player from 1980 to 1984, Mulkey was on the Louisiana Tech staff for 15 years, the associate head coach for four years.

Baylor (during Mulkey's watch) has become a consistent top 5 team in Division 1 WCBB, in addition to winning two national championships (2005, 2012). Tech has not been a top 25 team consistently for some time. Tech's last championship was in 1988 (Leon Barmore). Their only other one was in 1982 coached by Sonjia Hogg.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
IF the powers that be at Louisiana Tech were smart, they would have hired Mulkey to replace Barmore when he resigned.
She'd be doing for Tech what's she's doing for Baylor. A Tech player from 1980 to 1984, Mulkey was on the Louisiana Tech staff for 15 years, the associate head coach for four years.

Baylor (during Mulkey's watch) has become a consistent top 5 team in Division 1 WCBB, in addition to winning two national championships (2005, 2012). Tech has not been a top 25 team consistently for some time. Tech's last championship was in 1988 (Leon Barmore). Their only other one was in 1982 coached by Sonjia Hogg.

Well, the powers that be would probably claim they tried to hire Mulkey; they offered her a four-year contract. Problem is, Mulkey was asking for a five-year contract, which IMO was not an unreasonable request. The dimwitted AD at the time dug in his heels, and Mulkey was stolen away by Baylor, which was coming off a 7-20 season. Mulkey then led Baylor to the NCAA tournament in her first season as head coach, truly one of the great single-year turnarounds.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with those who indicate that Mulkey's comments are thoughtful and appropriate. Thinking about the times when she puts her foot in her mouth, it's almost always right after a game when her emotions are running high. In those instances she needs to pause and take a deep breath "before she hits send."

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A more reflective Kim - it seems to me. She's getting a chance to sit back and be a Mom. She's rooting for her son to succeed. A NCAA head coach doesn't always get a chance to do that.

Her comments are well thought out and balanced. Good for her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well, the powers that be would probably claim they tried to hire Mulkey; they offered her a four-year contract. Problem is, Mulkey was asking for a five-year contract, which IMO was not an unreasonable request. The dimwitted AD at the time dug in his heels, and Mulkey was stolen away by Baylor, which was coming off a 7-20 season. Mulkey then led Baylor to the NCAA tournament in her first season as head coach, truly one of the great single-year turnarounds.

Thanks Plebe, that is information I didn't have before. I didn't know BOTH sides where playing hardball. Too bad they could not have found a way to split the difference. Most players will welcome the opportunity to return to their Alma mater.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
College coaches always want five year deals, for the simple fact that they can always tell a recruit that they plan t be around for all four years that a recruit would play for them. Successful coaches routinely have their contract renegotiated to a minimum 5 yr deal, just like Geno did this past year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thanks Plebe, that is information I didn't have before. I didn't know BOTH sides where playing hardball. Too bad they could not have found a way to split the difference. Most players will welcome the opportunity to return to their Alma mater.

What's even worse is that Mulkey didn't have to "return"; she was already there for 15 years (!) as an assistant under Leon Barmore until his retirement. It was always presumed that she would take over the reins when Barmore stepped down, and it seems that the AD took Kim for granted by throwing her a minimum contract.

Carnac

Reaction Score
What's even worse is that Mulkey didn't have to "return"; she was already there for 15 years (!) as an assistant under Leon Barmore until his retirement. It was always presumed that she would take over the reins when Barmore stepped down, and it seems that the AD took Kim for granted by throwing her a minimum contract.

I agree with your observation. I believe in fate. Wherever you are, that's where you are suppose to be. Even if you don't think so. For whatever reason(s), Mulkey was not suppose to be the head coach at Louisiana Tech. Unlike Tony Bennett, she left her heart in Ruston, because her next coaching assignment was waiting for her in Waco Texas. She ended up exactly where she was suppose to be.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suspect Kim would have been stolen away from LaTech eventually as she is a good coach and they would never have kept up with the change in WCBB salary structure.
Every coach makes some mistakes with live mikes and she was slow to get out of the way of the avalanche but she is smart and insightful when she stays on the subject of basketball.

I have some reservations on her coaching - I think she would have better results if she could temper her emotions in tight games - works when they are rolling, but seems to hurt when things wobble. That said, I think she is easily in the top 5 as a WCBB coach. (If you could cross Kim with Muffet and form a hybrid ... watch out!)

Reaction Score
I don't always care for Mulkeys attitude, but she isn't a bad coach. She's a fierce competitor who has made Baylor a national power. they will be competitive as long as she coaches there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom