Kid everybody wanted commits!!! | The Boneyard

Kid everybody wanted commits!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Slow day.

37668122.jpg

Reaction Score
So he repeated 8th grade and will be 19 in March of his senior year. Did he stay back due to grades or to be older when he plays in high school? Let's all ponder.

Hey, at least Donald Brown got a mention.

Reaction Score
So he repeated 8th grade and will be 19 in March of his senior year. Did he stay back due to grades or to be older when he plays in high school? Let's all ponder.

Hey, at least Donald Brown got a mention.
do you know a good percentage of high school athletes stay back its called reclassifying

Reaction Score
do you know a good percentage of high school athletes stay back its called reclassifying

Um, yes I do know that HIGH SCHOOL kids will reclassify. I guess, since I never follow pre high school recruiting, I was wondering what the intention was.

Reaction Score
Another sign that the apocalypse is near.

A good percentage of high school athletes do not reclassify. Kids that typically reclassify are more likely than not to play basketball and either have high Division 1 talent or boarder on that line where a reclassification will help push them over the edge. I can assure you that the guy or girl that's going to play basketball or softball at insert your favorite D3 college here do not reclassify and that is the vast majority of high school athletes, in fact the majority of high school athletes don't go on to play at any level beyond high school so there is no need to reclassify.

Reaction Score
Apocalypse is near indeed. There are "rating services" ranking 8th graders is. Wow. Fishy, Tom, Nan...perhaps there's a new recruiting site you can start up - ScoutBoys.com. You'll have to be sure to keep the NAMBLA folks at bay though.

Reaction Score
He's a 15 year old 8th grader. WTF. By the time he's eligible for the draft (providing he's good, and doesn't "reclassify" again) he'll be nearly 24. That seems like a little much

Reaction Score
This news story basically threw napalm on the smoldering embers of the taking place within New Jersey between the public high schools and the private/Catholics. The public are trying for a complete break from the Catholics, especially in football and wrestling (Mr. McKenzie also happens to be the #1 rated 8th grade wrestler in NJ also, they rate wrestlers in 8th grade!?) while the Catholics are fighting it due to travel costs. And, of course the Catholics say they don't recruit, though several Bergen Catholic coaches 'saw' him play in Wall, which is 70 miles away from Bergen Catholic, which is in Oradell. I hope the kid is moving as that is a 2 hour commute each way during rush hour.

Reaction Score
Good for New Jersey if they go that way. For the life of me, I don't understand why public schools in Connecticut are willing to play Catholics who can and do recruit athletes. Why do taxpayers have to make life easier for private schools who play by different rules?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Aw heck... since the thread is going off the track anyways....

Basketball/hockey centric but the discussion is on-going. Can't forget the Magnet schools (and Co-Ops)...

As CIAC crowns champions, Public School vs. Private and ‘Choice’ School debate rages on
http://www.gametimect.com/ciac-crowns-champions-public-school-vs-private-choice-school-debate-rages/

Nothing against the Catholics in CT; but, its a different world in North Jersey with schools like Don Bosco and Bergen Catholic pulling students from a big circle from the Jersey Shore, east NYC, north up the Hudson Valley, and west out to the Poconos. As their exposure grows, that circle grows. The is some talk now of a 'Super' Catholic conference being formed by the big North Jersey Catholics (Don Bosco, St Joe's Montvale, Bergen Catholic, Paramus Catholic, St. Peter's and maybe DePaul and Delbarton) along with a few from NY, PA, DE, MD & DC. The only comparable environment I have seen in New England is with the Boston area Catholics and high school hockey where French Canadian is a popular language at Malden Catholic, BC Prep, St. John's, Xavier, and Catholic Memorial.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I've always had a problem with private schools that recruit playing in CT public leagues.

My sophomore year of high school my hockey team went to the state division 1 final four. We lost in the semi-final 1-0 to Notre Dame of Fairfield. The finals that year were decided between Notre Dame of Fairfield and Notre Dame of West Haven. And the fourth team in the final four that year was Fairfield Prep. BS. We were a public school representing one HALF of one town and they were private schools recruiting in like a 25 mile radius.

As far as I'm concerned we won the state title that year.

Reaction Score
I've always had a problem with private schools that recruit playing in CT public leagues.

My sophomore year of high school my hockey team went to the state division 1 final four. We lost in the semi-final 1-0 to Notre Dame of Fairfield. The finals that year were decided between Notre Dame of Fairfield and Notre Dame of West Haven. And the fourth team in the final four that year was Fairfield Prep. BS. We were a public school representing one HALF of one town and they were private schools recruiting in like a 25 mile radius.

uh...no you didn't. And so you were out-recruited but were you recruited by those same schools? It sounds like sour grapes to me. Furthermore, I know private schools in FL that actually recruit the entire country. They do it mostly for football but you know what is so awesome about this? FL is recognized as the hot bed of talent. Perhaps this is a start to CT being one of "The Hotspots" for Hockey.

Reaction Score

I Mass, the Catholics actually "enroll' students from Quebec and the Canadian Maritimes and cherry pick the second level talent from metro Boston, NH, RI and Maine (1st level goes to the OHL & other leagues). Needless to say, that has made it difficult for the public to compete. So, in 1990, Mass created the 'Super 8' (also called the Catholic Memorial invitation as they won it 8 of 10 times between 1995 and 2005) to give the publics a better shot at winning a title. the Super 8 selects the 10 best hockey teams in Mass regardless of division to have a separate playoff from the regular state tournaments. 6 teams are seeded while 4 teams play a single elimination play-in to get to 8 teams. Those 8 teams then play a best of 3 series to start followed by single elimination semi-finals and finals. There have been 25 Super 8 Champions to date, 23 have been from the Catholic Central (Large), which only has 5 teams. The publics have made it to the final 5 times (out of 50 available slots), winning twice - Reading '08, Hingham '10, which was also the last public to make a final.

Reaction Score
In wisconsin, the Catholics play in their own leagues. I thought it was odd when I moved out here that Notre Dame WH would beat Hamden after recruiting all of Hamden's best 8th graders (along with the best 8th graders from all the other surrounding towns) and act like they accomplished anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom