Kicking Game | The Boneyard

Kicking Game

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Missing Puyol and Wain. Money.
Tarbutt has missed a couple of important kicks. Give Rishell a shot?
And Graham. Seems to have a dead leg imo. Is the roll out Aussie Magliozzi an option? Have not heard much since the beginning of the year.

Reaction Score
And Graham. Seems to have a dead leg imo. Is the roll out Aussie Magliozzi an option? Have not heard much since the beginning of the year.

Reported this week that Magliozzi is redshirting.

From Tuesday:
>>Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 33s 33 seconds ago
Luke Magliozzi, punter from Australia, will redshirt. "Pretty much all the freshman you haven't see will be redshirted," edsall said.<<

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Tarbutt has been disappointing. I will give Graham credit- he shanked 2 in the 4th qtr and then bombed a 51 yarder which changed field position. That was a huge kick that gave the D a little more room to work with.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Well, they are young. Trust they will improve. Would like to see Rishell get a shot at a mid range FG. Tarbutt can bomb 'em.., but is not accurate at @ 35 yds.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Tarbutt probably is a head case now. It's hard getting these guys back when they go wrong and get into the no self confidence cycle.

Edsall realizes that as well... Tarbutt was right in front of me @ Linc. Right before kick (third down) Edsall came all the way over the MT @ the kick cage and talked to him... he then walked away, turned back to MT and yelled something else (couldn’t read lips).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Graham has performed decently - I think some of the criticism he gets here is a little over the top.

As for K, I would like to see some cutthroat competition in practice this week between Tarbutt and Rishell.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Edsall realizes that as well... Tarbutt was right in front of me @ Linc. Right before kick (third down) Edsall came all the way over the MT @ the kick cage and talked to him... he then walked away, turned back to MT and yelled something else (couldn’t read lips).
Let Rishell kick

Alum86

Reaction Score
Graham has performed decently - I think some of the criticism he gets here is a little over the top.

As for K, I would like to see some cutthroat competition in practice this week between Tarbutt and Rishell.
Not many boomers in his arsenal.
That is not over the top

Reaction Score
Not many boomers in his arsenal.
That is not over the top
He kicks pretty well in warm-ups. In pre-game at the Tent before Memphis I was watching and he was kicking the hell out of the ball for height and distance. Take look the next time. For some reason in game he must be rushing or doing something different when under time pressure.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Graham kicks a dead ball vice an exploding ball.

Not much for hang time.

Meh overall.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Graham had his best game of the year.. 2 50+ yd punts, unsung hero from today's game.
Graham averaged 42.4 today (exactly what my son averaged his senior year in high school). For the year, I think he's at 39 or 40. It's not horrible, but it's in the bottom half of FBS.

He's just a redshirt freshman; he'll get better.

Reaction Score
Graham averaged 42.4 today (exactly what my son averaged his senior year in high school). For the year, I think he's at 39 or 40. It's not horrible, but it's in the bottom half of FBS.

cfbstats.com - 2017 National Player Leaders (Punters)

The two over 50 today were beauties...

Reaction Score
Tarbutt has been disappointing. I will give Graham credit- he shanked 2 in the 4th qtr and then bombed a 51 yarder which changed field position. That was a huge kick that gave the D a little more room to work with.
Huge when it really counted.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
cfbstats.com - 2017 National Player Leaders (Punters)

The two over 50 today were beauties...
Thanks. I was looking for that last night. He had 19 punts going into yesterday and I think 7 yesterday. His average will probably go up to about 39.4. #100 in the nation right now is nothing to brag about. That number will get better this week after the Temple game is included, maybe up to #92. And it should get better in 2018, 2019, and 2020.

It's not the 50 yarders that are most important; it's avoiding the damaging punts under 35 (unless you're on the opponent's side of the field).

Reaction Score
Tarbutt has the length but always misses wide right from the left hash mark if the kick is more than 25 but less than 35 or so. He can't kick it at that angle, at least not yet.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the problem is that nearly every attempt is a clutch one. For years out kickers had plenty of 7 into 3 attempts. This kid missed an early game winner and it's in his head. He hasn't learned to just trust his routine and kick it. He is far from a lost cause but needs to get it together.

Every win counts this season. The team needs to get used to winning. I'd rather not wait until they are better next season and drop a couple while still "learning to win"

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Judging from his kickoffs, he does not have a dead leg. Confidence on fg attempts must be awful right now. BTW, he didn’t miss a game winner. He missed getting a tie against ECU that prevented us from a shot at an OT win. Might have lost anyway.

Punter not that bad. A freshman who will probably improve. Other than the one blocked punt, our punting game hasn’t been the problem. He could be averaging 55 yards and our pass D would bring the average down to 40 yards in one play.

Reaction Score

His short punts are not good either. When kicking from the 50, too many that land at the 25 instead of the 15.

Reaction Score
His short punts are not good either. When kicking from the 50, too many that land at the 25 instead of the 15.
I would like them to give Rishell a chance for distances within his range. The only way to determine how good he is is to see him kick under the pressure of a game and and important field goal attempts.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, gotta make makeable FGs in big spots... If you keep showing that you can't it just proves that there should be more competition at the position...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The way he kicks from the left hash reminds me of how my bowling looked when I first started trying to hook. Going all the way to the right and overcompensating into the left gutter.

Alum86

Reaction Score
And redshirting a punter. Isn't the Aussie old to begin with?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom