Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
" . . . .No boards for you !! "

Soup-Nazi_Kia.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Kiah was THE factor that turned this game around. Her cleaning up the boards in such a dominating fashion, and shutting down the dribble drives, freed up Morgan to be more aggressive on the offensive side. Tremendous game Kiah!!!

Reaction Score
I'm also starting to suspect that her reputation as a shot-blocker is helping her out with the refs. Although she was called for one foul on a play that could have just as easily been not called, there were a couple of close no-calls where Lloyd was none to pleased.

Reaction Score
I'm also starting to suspect that her reputation as a shot-blocker is helping her out with the refs. Although she was called for one foul on a play that could have just as easily been not called, there were a couple of close no-calls where Lloyd was none to pleased.

So who IS pleased to have their shot blocked?

Reaction Score
Of course she got all those rebounds, but this game turned around when Kiah came into the game. With her in the paint, everybody can play much tighter defense, knowing that if somebody is beat on the dribble that Kiah will block the shot. It's really curious, but she is so much better a player when she comes off the bench; she seems much less inhibited and more aggressive, knowing that she has to do it for only 20 minutes instead of 30. That set with Stewie at the three and Kaleena at the two is the best team UConn put on the floor today.

HGN

Reaction Score
It wasn't just her rebounds , it was the fact that most of those rebounds came on the defensive end.... Holding ND to one and done. ND has a great team and we will most likely see them again in the Tournament. But getting this big win , on their home court , will be a big psychological advantage for UConn if we do see them in March/ April.

GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
Maybe Kiah just wanted to impress her family which was sitting behind the UConn bench. You know avoid getting yelled at and embarrassed by coach.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
A highlight for me:

The ND crowd was loud and raucous. They yelled obnoxious things at whichever UConn player was about to take a foul shot. They booed every call they didn't like, even if the call was unquestionable.

And then they booed because Kiah Stokes is an absolutely phenomenal defensive player and there was nothing to call against her as she made spectacular plays.

And then everybody shut up.

Reaction Score
I know that Tuck will get most of the kudos for this game (deserved) but for me the real story was Stokes. She turned the game around.

I will never criticize her lack of offense again.
What people need to realize is that really good defense, in other words taking away points the other team would have scored if some one else were in the game, is good offense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of course she got all those rebounds, but this game turned around when Kiah came into the game. With her in the paint, everybody can play much tighter defense, knowing that if somebody is beat on the dribble that Kiah will block the shot. It's really curious, but she is so much better a player when she comes off the bench; she seems much less inhibited and more aggressive, knowing that she has to do it for only 20 minutes instead of 30. That set with Stewie at the three and Kaleena at the two is the best team UConn put on the floor today.
The big lineup with KML at the SG position was a defensive force last year as well.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm also trying to track Kiah's +/- in this game. Not sure about the second half, but she was +18 in the first half alone. Yes, that swing happened because of the poise and composure a bunch of kids showed today, but Kiah's rebounding absolutely reduced the number of second-chance opportunities ND had been getting.

Bottom line, Kiah is great at what she does, and the kind of stuff she does was just what the doctor ordered today.

Reaction Score
I know that Tuck will get most of the kudos for this game (deserved) but for me the real story was Stokes. She turned the game around.

Yes you will. We all will because we believe this incredible physical specimen has the tools to be a force on BOTH ends.

Reaction Score
I'm also trying to track Kiah's +/- in this game. Not sure about the second half, but she was +18 in the first half alone. Yes, that swing happened because of the poise and composure a bunch of kids showed today, but Kiah's rebounding absolutely reduced the number of second-chance opportunities ND had been getting.

Bottom line, Kiah is great at what she does, and the kind of stuff she does was just what the doctor ordered today.
Today was not the first time Kiah entered a game and swung the lead and momentum to the other side. At this point there is plenty of statistical evidence to prove that she is a huge game changer even if she won't ever score 20. ND was pulling away when Stokes came into the game. Basically UConn spotted ND a 10 point lead and still won by nearly 20, and that was because of Kiah. Yeah Morgan had the game of her life, but she's a starter, and it took until Kiah came in to the game to shift things.

Reaction Score
A highlight for me:

The ND crowd was loud and raucous. They yelled obnoxious things at whichever UConn player was about to take a foul shot. They booed every call they didn't like, even if the call was unquestionable.

And then they booed because Kiah Stokes is an absolutely phenomenal defensive player and there was nothing to call against her as she made spectacular plays.

So true, ND fans have no class with other team players.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Maybe Kiah just wanted to impress her family which was sitting behind the UConn bench. You know avoid getting yelled at and embarrassed by coach.

Yeah. That's it. :rolleyes:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
A highlight for me:

my favorite part. And every time something went right for ND and the crowd got fired up, UConn has an answer...and yes, shut them up.

Loved it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I said to some friends earlier today that the difference maker in the game will be Stokes. ND has no post player to match up with her, and she is a force in the paint. I love watching teams put the breaks on when she is in their path. LOVE IT!

(I'm a fan of this kid...can you tell?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul