Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
according to a tweet from John A

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is disappointing for Saniya but not surprising - many of us predicted Kia would be the starting 2 guard, if not at the start of the season, certainly by the end. Apparently Geno feels she's that much better than Saniya already. I knew Kia would be a star for UCONN.

Certainly beyond her years in BBIQ, intelligence, defense, etc. I hope she has "room to grow" and is not close to reaching the peak of her skills/abilities. She's already so terrific - I know she certainly can improve on her 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
@jaltavilla: Geno says decision to start @KayNurse11 based on tightening defense #uconnwomen

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
@jaltavilla: Geno says decision to start @KayNurse11 based on tightening defense #uconnwomen
I'm stunned he's not benching KML in favor of Nurse - after all, we all know KML can't guard a chair... :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So it's possible we'll see both Nurse and Tuck in the starting lineup.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
tweetys:

1. 4:57 PM - 21 Nov 2014 · Details
    " data-you-follow="true" data-you-block="false" style="position: relative; min-height: 51px; padding: 9px 12px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(225, 232, 237); cursor: pointer; background-color: rgb(245, 248, 250);">
    Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 7m7 minutes ago
    Kia Nurse to start for UConn against Creighton

2. Rich Elliott ‏@elliottctpost 8m8 minutes ago
    Geno said @KayNurse11 will start Sunday vs Creighton. @_saniyaaa will come off bench. #UConn
  3. Rich Elliott ‏@elliottctpost 2m2 minutes ago
    Geno on @M_Tuck3: ``I would say in the last 3 weeks Tuck has been at a whole other level. She's playing great right now.'' #UConn

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
More
Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 26m26 minutes ago
Breanna Stewart and UConn trying to learn for Stanford loss http://www.tout.com/m/xxuqa8?ref=twfs2dde…
John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 20m20 minutes agoStorrs, CT
Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis is sick and did not practice on Friday #UnreportedWorld
John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 18m18 minutes agoStorrs, CT
Geno says @Kaleena23 has a touch of the flu. did not practice Thursday, either #uconnwomen
Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 27m27 minutes ago
Breanna Stewart and UConn trying to learn for Stanford loss http://www.tout.com/m/xxuqa8?ref=twfs2dde…

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Chong will give them a dynamite chg of pace of the bench. Instant offense and maybe a quick couple of threes. This was easy to see coming, and it's not a knock on Chong. We just had a thread about this, and a blind man could see this coming. Tuck will step up & Stokes may become the player who spells Stewie and Tuck and possibly even KML.

Reaction Score
Maybe also to bring more scoring off the bench. Its sad to see this happen because Chong played great.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Chong is a soph and has been around the block a bit. Her defensive presence is so non- existent --- it is a huge liability. Easy transition baskets, or constant blow by's take the heart out of a team. We've been doing this to everyone else in our double digit wins. If we score 70+, we are supposed to win! We scored almost 90 and lost.

Reaction Score
This is disappointing for Saniya but not surprising - many of us predicted Kia would be the starting 2 guard, if not at the start of the season, certainly by the end. Apparently Geno feels she's that much better than Saniya already. I knew Kia would be a star for UCONN.

Certainly beyond her years in BBIQ, intelligence, defense, etc. I hope she has "room to grow" and is not close to reaching the peak of her skills/abilities. She's already so terrific - I know she certainly can improve on her 3 point shooting.
I'm thinking Geno wants offensive firepower coming off of the bench. Doesn't really matter who starts the game. Imo

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised. The best team is Stewie, Tuck, KML, Mo, and Nurse. That might not equal a ton of height, but that is the best talent right now.

My concern is Mo and Nurse don't appear to be consistent outside shooters, and frankly Nurse looked like she never saw a pick and roll in her life. Several of her fouls were on pick and roll

Reaction Score
My concern is Mo and Nurse don't appear to be consistent outside shooters, and frankly Nurse looked like she never saw a pick and roll in her life. Several of her fouls were on pick and roll
There is some difference between the U.S. game and Canadian game. I've always considered Chong a great option off the bench. Nurse is a STARTER for a NATIONAL team. There is only so long you can keep such a player on the bench.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Thursday's practice was open to Gampel season ticket holders, so I was at Gampel for a chunk of it. KML was participating in practice while I was there.
U r correct. She practiced. She wore a heavy long sleeve gray shirt, even when she scrimmaged with the blue or white team. I'm glad to hear she has the flu. She did not look enthused at the Thursday practice. And really did not have any energy. I think she was pulled out of many drills and scrimmages and spelled a bit. I love KML. And I purposely did not mention this in my open practice thread. Would not be surprised if she was not herself for the game either. But I am relieved.

Reaction Score
There is some difference between the U.S. game and Canadian game. I've always considered Chong a great option off the bench. Nurse is a STARTER for a NATIONAL team. There is only so long you can keep such a player on the bench.

I notice Geno was working with her specifically on the pick and roll in practice, so she should be fine soon.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Didn't Nurse have something like a 29% record on 3's in HS and for the Canadian National Team?

Reaction Score
Didn't Nurse have something like a 29% record on 3's in HS and for the Canadian National Team?
Her shot isn't very pretty... she'll work on it. Very aggressive defender, and used to much more physical games than college refs will allow. She'll need to adjust a bit there too.

Reaction Score
I think back to the Stanford NC game of 2010...... when we started the game shooting 5 for 35, and were still less than 10 points behind..... it was because of our great defense......that we were able to weather the storm.....and eventually win..... defense is vital and of primary concern...... i am glad for the addition of her defense

but of course, we need to improve the offense.... and will miss Saniya's shot.... at least we will get it off the bench..... ala vinnie johnson..

Reaction Score
The kid with the highest shooting percentage and third in scoring is getting benched when a majority of the starters played poor defense the other night! Chong's finally going to the basket, her confidence is building ...what a time to sit her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom