Kia on HOH? | The Boneyard

Kia on HOH?

Reaction Score
It occurs to me that, it ain't strictly necessary to be an AA to be on HOH. E.g., Geno and CD are up there.

I'm thinking of a scenario wherein Kia's Team Canada coach shows up on Senior Night, marches over to Geno and CD, they hold a brief (for theatrical purposes) conversation, they all nod heads, and a mask gets pulled up from Kia's jersey number.

Gotta be a tear-jerker, and she certainly deserves it.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I don't generally ascribe to the "everybody gets a trophy" concept, but this does work for me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like it, but I'm sure we will soon have a poster saying where does it end and what about X, Y and Z. There is some validity to that "bright line" argument. I really like Kia a lot and refuse to be logical about it. So, heck yes.

Reaction Score
It occurs to me that, it ain't strictly necessary to be an AA to be on HOH. E.g., Geno and CD are up there.

I'm thinking of a scenario wherein Kia's Team Canada coach shows up on Senior Night, marches over to Geno and CD, they hold a brief (for theatrical purposes) conversation, they all nod heads, and a mask gets pulled up from Kia's jersey number.

Gotta be a tear-jerker, and she certainly deserves it.

Thoughts?
Just the thought brings wet eyes with me--Kia Nurse, a Canadian All American (in my book), deserves anything that can be bestoed upon her.
To get real (ok almost) for a minute--wouldn't it be nice if her Team Canada and or The Coach shows up for Senior nite---I'm pretty sure they shall all be at her home coming game. What would be nice if 50 percent of the By showed up for that game too--with Uconn and maybe State banners too--just don't steal them--that's dangerous.

I like it, but I'm sure we will soon have a poster saying where does it end and what about X, Y and Z. There is some validity to that "bright line" argument. I really like Kia a lot and refuse to be logical about it. So, heck yes.
A
Apparently--your thoughts are not just a Canadian thing--Kia struck a nerve with a ton of nationalities--a special young woman--and CANADIAN

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Isn't there was a spot (not the HOH) that honors huskies that have been Olympians. That is where Kia belongs without making any exemptions whatsoever. If there is not such a place they should make one. BTW Kia would not be the only non HOH on this wall.

14 UCONN WBB OLYMPIANS Svetlana Abrosimova (Russian Olympic Team - 2000, 2008), Sue Bird - 2004, 2008, 2012, Swin Cash - 2004, 2012, Tina Charles - 2012, Asjha Jones - 2012, Rebecca Lobo - 1996, Jess McCormack (New Zealand Olympic Team - 2008), Maya Moore - 2012, Kia Nurse (Canadian Olympic Team - 2016), Rashidat Sadiq (Nigerian Olympic Team - 2004), Nykesha Sales - 2000 (alternate), Breanna Stewart - 2016, Diana Taurasi - 2004, 2008, 2012, Kara Wolters - 1996 (alternate), 2000. Per the Media Guide.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There was no exception made for Kelly Faris. There will be no exception made for Kia Nurse. She will have to earn it.

Sorry, but you are talking Apples and Oranges there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How so?
Faris was a really good player that did not make HOH mainly because, like Kia, she was surrounded by AA teammates every year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How so?
Faris was a really good player that did not make HOH mainly because, like Kia, she was surrounded by AA teammates every year.

Kelly was one of the if not the top defender in UConn's storied history, but her maddening refusal to let her offense loose, self-admitted at the end of her senior year, made her less than a complete player. Kia's contribution has been significantly greater for that reason as I see it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kelly was one of the if not the top defender in UConn's storied history, but her maddening refusal to let her offense loose, self-admitted at the end of her senior year, made her less than a complete player. Kia's contribution has been significantly greater for that reason as I see it.
It is close, don't think you could go wrong with either. Personally I would take Kelly because of her defensive versatility. She guarded AA PGs (Diggins) and AA PF (Alyssa Thomas) equally well. If not for the presence of Griner in the same class Kelly could easily have been multiple time DPOY. She might have been a reluctant shooter but her Defense was always great.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is true that Kelly tanked/clanked less lay ups than our exuberant Canuck. But Kia's overall offensive contribution/numbers and floor generalship give her a very definite edge for me. Remember when she could not play for a few games how things went?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Don't agree. No way does Nurse belong on the HOH without meeting the qualifications. If it were to happen, it would greatly cheap the accomplishment of all the players who properly earned the HOH. Are you a soccer mom? :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
upload_2017-6-27_0-49-37.jpeg

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
If anybody deserve and has earned a spot on the wall of HOH, it is Gabby. Gabby has played out of her mind, and she has been a joy to watch. Geno called Gabby his "center", and she played like one.
Gabby is the true definition of team mate. She motivates her team mates and cook for them :).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If anybody deserve and has earned a spot on the wall of HOH, it is Gabby. Gabby has played out of her mind, and she has been a joy to watch. Geno called Gabby his "center", and she played like one.
Gabby is the true definition of team mate. She motivates her team mates and cook for them :).
Gabby has earned a spot on the HOH by being designated AA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
At this point I suspect a current player who doesn't get first team AA status would feel a little strange being placed on the wall. When the HOH was started they didn't really know what they would use as criteria - the FT AA status was a good place to start but would it then provide an appropriate stream of additional players or would they need to go back and create new criteria. To date it has provided one or two per year consistently so it has become pretty set in stone. Some time in the future they might set up a 'veterans' committee should the flow of new names diminish.
Right now the HOH represents somewhere between 10-20 % of the total alumni of the program - that is pretty high for what is a hall of fame in any sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom