Kia Nurse's hop before shooting | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse's hop before shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I've noticed this year that on open looks, Kia Nurse will usually take a mini hop to get into rhythm before releasing the shot. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure this is a travel each time both feet leave the ground. Has this ever been called on her or brought up on the BY?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've noticed this year that on open looks, Kia Nurse will usually take a mini hop to get into rhythm before releasing the shot. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure this is a travel each time both feet leave the ground. Has this ever been called on her or brought up on the BY?

Not a travel if the hop is initiated before picking up her dribble or catching the pass.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not a travel if the hop is initiated before picking up her dribble or catching the pass.

It's usually off of catching a pass. In the games I've seen this year, sometimes she starts the hop before she catches the pass, other times it is after the catch.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's usually off of catching a pass. In the games I've seen this year, sometimes she starts the hop before she catches the pass, other times it is after the catch.

To be honest that initial hop as a player catches the pass is one instance where a play that is technically a travel is usually let go by the refs if it's close. A lot like a player driving to the hoop often technically takes two full steps after picking up their dribble, which should be a travel, and gets away with it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
There was a fair amount of discussion on here last year about Lou's hop.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thought this was a topic last year with a few of our players and if memory serves me correctly the consensus was the move was legal. If it is a travel then officials are looking the other way and not making it a point of emphasis with men or women.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Last year's "Lou hop" was dissected to see if she had one foot off the floor when she caught the pass. IIRC, I felt that the replay showed she did have one foot off the ground (barely), which made all the difference.

Each instance needs instant replay to be sure. If a player has possession with both feet on the floor and has picked up the dribble then yeah, hopping is a no-no but I'd have to see each play individually to see if there was anything missed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This season it is supposed to be a point of emphasis. However, I rarely see it called. Hopping after catching a ball is traveling. Doris Burke also talked about it last season and wondered why it was not called.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am not sure I have every seen a ref call a travel on that 'hop' shot and a lot of players use it - not sure if there is some school of shooting that teaches it or what. I have seen travels called before shots, but never one on that hop-shot, they are called on more deliberate shuffles or steps. Technically I believe the toes are not supposed to leave the ground on the hop, but I don't think we have ever seen slo-mo to make sure.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kia's hops were discussed the year before KLS hops were... ETT bought it up a few years back, and I agreed with him

Reaction Score
What I noticed was a slightly higher trajectory on her shots. Her shots had been very flat.

Reaction Score
Yes, I've noticed it as well on Kia and Lou. Really, since no one ever calls "palming" anymore, traveling is only called when it's completely egregious; mostly when one moves the pivot foot. So, let's call the little hop before the jumper a "Euro-hop".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom