Kia Nurse | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USA Basketball vs. Canada tonight in Bridgeport resulted in a 76 -51 USA victory. There was a great moment before the tip off of a photo taken with the two current Huskies (Breanna and Kia0 and the alums( Stef, Sue, Tina) with Geno.

Kia did not start either half but played good minutes. She had to guard in succession Sue Bird, Skylar Diggins , Odyessy Sims. For the most part she held her own with a solid defensive effort; giving up only a sweet drive by Odyessy in the second half. In the fourth quarter she got caught in a pick and roll guarding Stewie who easily scored on her down low and shortly there after she was double teamed by Skylar and Odyssey, turned the ball over, for an easy two by USA.

Kia had two three's, a nice mid range jumper and a few missed shots. She looked solid and not at all out classed or overwhelmed by the level of competition. Seeing her now at a freshman I can only imagine how great she will development over the years at UConn. Exciting to welcome Kia to our team!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that Kia showed that she belongs. She was neither the best nor the worst player on the team. She brings nice competitiveness and has more height than Sue, Whalen, Sims, or Diggins. She is an energetic and tenacious defender, and she took the right shots, making some.

Based on players standing near her, Kia looks to be very close to 6'.

I think the group photo may have included Jen Rizzotti. I know it included the WNBA MVP, Maya Moore.

Reaction Score
I thought that Kia showed that she belongs. She was neither the best nor the worst player on the team. She brings nice competitiveness and has more height than Sue, Whalen, Sims, or Diggins. She is an energetic and tenacious defender, and she took the right shots, making some.

I think the group photo may have included Jen Rizzotti. I know it included the WNBA MVP, Maya Moore.

holy moly Kia and MoJeff on defense....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
from Jim Fuller's blog: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/09/special-night-for-future-uconn-teammates.html

Dolson mentioned that more than one player on the U.S. bench raved about what they saw from the 18-year-old Nurse.

"She is definitely a big guard, she brings a lot and is skilled player," U.S. guard Lindsay Whalen said. "She has a very big future, it will be fun to see her grow and continue to get better. She is going to have a chance her with the national team to keep getting better and play against some great competition."

Reaction Score
Did Stewie grow an inch or two recently? While watching the recent two USA games She seemed to be as tall or taller than Dolson, (although it is tough to tell with her Purple Pompadour ) and at least an inch taller than Tina. It looks like it from this picture.

[/QUOTE]

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Stewie is about 6'4". Tina is about 6'3". Kia Nurse is 6'0".

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse is going to show that she is a lot better than most people think in her freshman year at UConn.
Just think of putting any other collegiate freshman point guard out there tonight competing against the US
squad and see how overwhelmed they would be. Kia looks solid overall.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Stewie, Maya, Tina, Kia, Sue, Stef, and Jenn. It boggles the mind to try to mentally tabulate all the honors, awards and championships the people in this pic have earned.

And Kia looks like she fits right in.

Simply amazing.

She stands really well, almost like a dancer.

Reaction Score
Stewie, Maya, Tina, Kia, Sue, Stef, and Jenn. It boggles the mind to try to mentally tabulate all the honors, awards and championships the people in this pic have earned.

And Kia looks like she fits right in.

Simply amazing.
And DT isn't even in the mix.

Yet.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kia played confidently and she played well. But if anyone were to ask her this morning, "Did you learn anything?," I have an idea what her answer might be:

"I learned one thing the hard way, for sure. Back in Ontario, playing against Canadian high school kids, I could casually pick up my dribble anytime I want. But at this level, I picked up my dribble once just after I crossed the mid-court line -- and by the sideline yet! -- and immediately out of nowhere I got trapped by two defenders imitating windmills and I had to give the ball up. Yup, I learned a good lesson."​

T

TroyHouse66

We were end court & saw KNurse flash a through the legs and cross over around OSimms at the far end. Nice move! Very quick surprise over a pro..
Also sank a corner 3 at our end as one USA descended upon her... cool, calm, and collected. I didn't catch any measure of her wingspan, but thin/wirey/fast arms and legs on a lean-solid frame. She does like to drop the ball off when a team mate has scoring opportunity... a point guard mentality. But, the corner three shows range and she did shoot where open.
I also commented to wife that Stewie appeared at least an inch taller since last seen. Amazed at her smooth, flowing, 3-different-dimension, catch-sky-switch-score layup in front of us. Tepid early shooting &, then, effortless swoosh (maybe 17') from just off the key.
Ditto... Maya's snake-like flash around the defender for a reverse layup.
Geno appears MUCH taller than DawnS, but don't think e'd take her in an even game.
Noted: TCharles was a constant bopping/dancing machine along the bench when the music was up. But had an unfair advantage, it appears that Steph had been struck by lightning... but a good lightning.

T

TroyHouse66

Also... almost forgot
Tina got low inna paint and, easily, flipped in a baby hook.
Canada, suffering under heat conditions (over 40 degrees F), didn't note the move... and TC pulled the same move'n-shoot an instant later. [You teach 'em, woman!]
Take that you (maple)syrup-sucking, red devils!.. eh!

G

genosguy

Kia Nurse is still a High School Senior--no college ball yet--so from that stand point, she was fantastic--Yes sir she belongs with those Pros.When Geno gets his hands on her she'll become another Sue Bird,Rene, MoJo. She is great on the open floor. Attacks the basket easily, passes well, is a good teammate, shoots the 3 well. For a High School senior with pros--Geno and Uconn fans have to be thrilled. Kia Nurse stand 1.84 meters in height. I love her basketball body and motion.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So to carry that on just a little - when DT joins in France the Uconn contingent will count the following:
9 NPOY award/years (Jen 1, Bird 1, DT 2, Moore 3, Charles 1, Stewart 1)
5 Lieberman awards (Bird 3, DT 2)
3 WNBA MVPs (DT, Moore, Charles)
4 USA POY (Charles, DT, Stewart 2)
and
7 NCOY (Geno)
3 USA COY (Geno 2, Jen 1)

In addition:
12 NCAA championships
9 WNBA championships
8 Olympic Golds
5 WC golds (and two bronzes)

And coaching: 9 NCAAs, 1 Olympic and 1 WC gold.
2 WBHOF inductees and 1 Naismith HOF inductee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom