Kia Nurse - recruitment heating up? | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse - recruitment heating up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't recall anything recent here on this recruit. In checking Nan's daily link to UCONN Recruits the last few days (I still miss seeing the pix there of kids who have signed up to become national champs), it seems to me that Kia's name there is a recent addition? A couple days ago, in that class, I thought I saw only Wilson in addition to our three commits, whereas today Nurse is there... but could be wrong.

Am wondering if things are heating up between UCONN and Kia?
From all that I can find to read about her, I am HOPING that is the case. She sounds like she possesses all the traits we associate with the Husky prototype: nice person, good teammate, unassuming, hard working, leader, smart, talented, and from a family which provides good guidance. Looks like an ideal fit to me.

Also, how nice would it be to start each day in the 2014-15 season with a healthy helping of UCONN's blend of Special K: Kia, Kaleena, and Kia?

Reaction Score
... how nice would it be to start each day in the 2014-15 season with a helping of UCONN's blend of Special K: Kia, Kaleena, and Kia?
Errrr, and what about Miss Kiah?

Reaction Score
Errrr, and what about Miss Kiah?[/quote

WONK{ That "Errrrr" is as in "error" I presume. Mine. If you know how to "edit," feel free to pop the "h" onto one of the "Kia's" in the initial post....I was thinking of Stokes with the first one listed. Who knows, if I'd had that Special K, might have been sharp enough to catch it myself.

Reaction Score
Don't recall anything recent here on this recruit. In checking Nan's daily link to UCONN Recruits the last few days (I still miss seeing the pix there of kids who have signed up to become national champs), it seems to me that Kia's name there is a recent addition? A couple days ago, in that class, I thought I saw only Wilson in addition to our three commits, whereas today Nurse is there... but could be wrong.

Am wondering if things are heating up between UCONN and Kia?
From all that I can find to read about her, I am HOPING that is the case. She sounds like she possesses all the traits we associate with the Husky prototype: nice person, good teammate, unassuming, hard working, leader, smart, talented, and from a family which provides good guidance. Looks like an ideal fit to me.

Also, how nice would it be to start each day in the 2014-15 season with a healthy helping of UCONN's blend of Special K: Kia, Kaleena, and Kia?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Don't we already have the killer B's? Bria, Breanna and Brianna, not to mention a promising walk-on also named Brianna.

You've gotta think that Mr. Joyce (radio play-by-play) must be drooling at the thought of the various vocal permutations that will be available on air during the, um, rising season.

Reaction Score
KIB: no doubt he must be. (But drooling is something a lot of us have to guard against these days.)
No body has any tidbits of info on what sort of interest there is on our part or on Nurse's part re her recruitment? Or on what sort of player she is?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
No body has any tidbits of info on what sort of interest there is on our part or on Nurse's part re her recruitment? Or on what sort of player she is?

She is Canadian, so (ALERT: tidbit coming!:rolleyes: ) a little understanding of Canadian history and culture may provide a modicum of insight. (or maybe probably not)

When Canada became established as a sovereign country a little over a century ago, their founding fathers had the golden opportunity to have: (1) British government; (2) French culture; and (3) American efficiency.:)

Alas, what has resulted is more like: (1) French government; (2) British efficiency; and (3) American culture.:(

Reaction Score
She is Canadian, so (ALERT: tidbit coming!:rolleyes: ) a little understanding of Canadian history and culture may provide a modicum of insight. (or maybe probably not)

When Canada became established as a sovereign country a little over a century ago, their founding fathers had the golden opportunity to have: (1) British government; (2) French culture; and (3) American efficiency.:)

Alas, what has resulted is more like: (1) French government; (2) British efficiency; and (3) American culture.:([/quote

KIB: always love the faces, and enjoyed your ones, twos, and threes. But, alas, your were correct again; your tidbit, though welcome, did not give this reader much insight into either the level of mutual interest or her ability/personality.

(Off the topic FYI Sky Soldier, a close cousin of mine was a waist gunner/radioman on a B-26 Martin Marauder...the "flying coffin"....a lot of missions into Germany. Thought that would be of interest to you. Will be talking to him later today. Stay well. )

Reaction Score
Leading contenders: Kentucky, Penn St, Tenn, UConn, Indiana

http://www.swishappeal.com/2013/9/24/4763668/ncaa-womens-basketball-recruiting-kia-nurse[/quote]

VOW: very interesting - thanks. From what I can gather, she is related in some way to Donovan McNabb, the Eagles QB and soup eater. I think Geno taught him how to eat minestrone and how to throw a spiral. Given that, and the pathway blazed to Gampel from Canada by one of my all-time Husky favorites, Kelly Schumacher, seems to me the Wildcats, Nits, Orange, and Hoosiers are bringing up the rear on this one? .

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
From what I can gather, she is related in some way to Donovan McNabb, the Eagles QB and soup eater.
Niece. And her brother plays hockey for Edmonton. Sister played for Oregon. Father played in CFL and mother played basketball at college (McMaster University). Quite the athletic family.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno is in Mexico where Kia Nurse is playing with Team Canada in the Fiba Americas championship (trying to qualify for next year's World Championships). Geno gets to watch a recruit and scout potential future opponents.

Tweets on his arrival:

Geno Auriemma@genoauriemma 1h
Just landed in Mexico. They X-ray ur bag then empty ur suitcase go thru every item. Meanwhile u can by a kilo of coke right outside.

@allyauriemma people here are great but how do u say ATM in Spanish lol should've paid more attention in HS

@allyauriemma if I get in a jam I'm gonna say KML #23

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hilarious exchange of tweets between Geno and Rebecca at CD's expense:

Rebecca Lobo@RebeccaLobo 7h
Immediately upon landing at BDL, state police boarded the plane with a dog and cuffed a passenger. A woman. pic.twitter.com/pH8ngBFDPV

Geno Auriemma@genoauriemma 6h
@RebeccaLobo was CD throwing a fit again for not getting upgraded ? Lol.
Rebecca Lobo@RebeccaLobo 56m

@genoauriemma Yes. She was especially angry that some that were in 1st class were wearing jeans.

Geno Auriemma@genoauriemma 40m
@RebeccaLobo and headphones.

Reaction Score
UC CAT: VERY interesting stuff on Coach's trip to see Nurse etc. Thanks for sending that news along. You know, this on top of the Geno-McNabb minestrone/spiral-Schumacher musings, makes me think we'll soon have a new Nurse to fill in for nurse Buck. Exciting

Reaction Score
“We’re trying to have her take three (visits), it might be two, or it could be one,” said Richard Nurse. “If she goes to a place and she says, ‘Dad, I’m good,’ we’re not (taking) anymore (visits).”

http://www.swishappeal.com/2013/9/24/4763668/ncaa-womens-basketball-recruiting-kia-nurse

Is it fair to say that based on this statement, it appears she might be taking official visits based on how she has the various schools ranked, with the highest being visited first? At the very least, the schools being visited first have a decided advantage over the schools she is scheduled to visit last.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is it fair to say that based on this statement, it appears she might be taking official visits based on how she has the various schools ranked, with the highest being visited first? At the very least, the schools being visited first have a decided advantage over the schools she is scheduled to visit last.
Good point. I hope we are early.

Reaction Score
We have the "Killer B's" now, nothing wrong with adding a few "Killer K's".
I just feel sorry for the play-by-play guys !
I like the young lady out of New Mexico, Danni Williams.

Reaction Score
Lets see, where do I start !
Player of the year as a soph. Took her team to the state championship. Her stats went UP during the playoffs. No 1 in her graduating class and a member of the Nat. honor society !
Thats about it !

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Nurse has already visited one of the schools on her list: Indiana. That visit was last year so it wouldn't preclude another. Kia's older sister transferred from Oregon to Bowling Green where she played for current Indiana coach Curt Miller. Among her final schools, Miller and Indiana have been recruiting her the longest. The earliest Nurse would be in a position to take a visit (after the fiba tournament) would be the weekend of Oct 5-6 but we know she won't be at UConn that weekend as Geno will be with Team USA in Vegas. I'm sure the coaches would like to get her to Storrs for Midnight Madness which is Oct 18, though I'm sure Kentucky's Mitchell has the same thing in mind.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller writes about Nurse in his latest blog. Nothing new except her impressive stats from the Fiba Americas championship. Canada is currently 4-0 (won Group A) and Nurse is the second leading scorer (10.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, and 2.5 apg) which is really impressive for a high school senior.

Jim will look to follow up and find out about a visit to Storrs.

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown