Kia Nurse in NCAA's weekly "Starting Five" | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse in NCAA's weekly "Starting Five"

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Women's basketball: UConn's Kia Nurse leads top players with 13 straight three-pointers

With 13 consecutive three-pointers over a three-game stretch, UConn senior guard Kia Nurse came up just short of the NCAA record, while the Huskies continued to roll.

Connecting on 14-of-16 field goal attempts, Nurse averaged 20 points over two games last week as UConn improved to 7-0 on the season with wins at Nevada and over No. 3 Notre Dame.​

Nurse is joined on the Starting Five by:
  • Dyandria Anderson, Sr., G, Florida
  • Tiana Mangakahia, Soph., G, Syracuse
  • Shakayla Thomas, Sr., F, Florida State
  • Erica Ogwumike, Soph., G, Rice

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia has been playing like an AA so far this year. If she continues to do so, she’ll bump one of her teammates off an AA team or two. I would love to see Kia’s name up on the wall in Gampel at the end of the season.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Kia has been playing like an AA so far this year. If she continues to do so, she’ll bump one of her teammates off an AA team or two. I would love to see Kia’s name up on the wall in Gampel at the end of the season.
As would I. It would be a shame for her to miss out on what she could get if she played anywhere else. Imagine her whole career placing fourth on her team and top five in the country

Reaction Score
Can we petition the WBCA for an exemption, to nominate 6 players for AA this year?

Reaction Score
She's going to bump Collier or KLS.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Kia is underrated by the national media because she's such a team player. Most of what she does doesn't show up in a box score, so the only way she'll be recognized is by scoring a lot. So much of what she does defensively is before her mark can get the ball, so it never shows up in a box score.

Two things I like about Kia: She is as tough a basketball player as I've ever seen. And she's a great spokeswoman/interview -- she's so well spoken; I don't think I've ever seen her misspeak even a syllable in an interview.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia is underrated by the national media because she's such a team player. Most of what she does doesn't show up in a box score, so the only way she'll be recognized is by scoring a lot. So much of what she does defensively is before her mark can get the ball, so it never shows up in a box score.

Two things I like about Kia: She is as tough a basketball player as I've ever seen. And she's a great spokeswoman/interview -- she's so well spoken; I don't think I've ever seen her misspeak even a syllable in an interview.
I said before the season that Kia would lead the nation in 3-pt shooting. Right now she’s 2nd at 60.6% (20 made 3’s). If she does lead the nation in 3-pt shooting, and UConn runs the table, that might just put Kia on an AA team.

Reaction Score
Women's basketball: UConn's Kia Nurse leads top players with 13 straight three-pointers

With 13 consecutive three-pointers over a three-game stretch, UConn senior guard Kia Nurse came up just short of the NCAA record, while the Huskies continued to roll.

Connecting on 14-of-16 field goal attempts, Nurse averaged 20 points over two games last week as UConn improved to 7-0 on the season with wins at Nevada and over No. 3 Notre Dame.​

Nurse is joined on the Starting Five by:
  • Dyandria Anderson, Sr., G, Florida
  • Tiana Mangakahia, Soph., G, Syracuse
  • Shakayla Thomas, Sr., F, Florida State
  • Erica Ogwumike, Soph., G, Rice
In reading some of the BY's assessments of the 4th quarter of the ND game, and more precisely who deserves the most credit for the win (same nonsense as last year), I'm amazed how often Kia's contribution seems to be dismissed. This writer gets her.....as does her coach:

The Bristol Press - Nurse settling into leading role for UConn women's basketball in early part of season

Reaction Score
When running all star teams. I had a rule seniors bump younger classes.
When if ever did a team have 3 All-Americans, and fail to get to the championship game? Great players need to come up big in important games.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
What would be more interesting is that they all negate each other and you end up with a national Championship :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Now THAT would be interesting.
Nurse, Dangerfield, Stevens bumping AA's Williams, Collier, KLS off the list. :eek:
A true embarrassment of riches. :)

Reaction Score
Kia keeps the Keys song on repeat in my head. “This girl is on fire”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky