Kia drafted ahead of Gabby? | The Boneyard

Kia drafted ahead of Gabby?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think it is a real possibility as of now.

Why Kia may get selected before Gabby in the WNBA draft.
  • The WNBA folks know her position. Kia can be drafted for her position, guard. Not a project to figure out where or how to play her. She fits existing systems.
  • Has a WNBA body. Heck she has a NHL body.
  • Has a consistent shot from anywhere on the court.
  • Has become a high percentage 3 point shot maker.
  • Has a very good handle.
  • Is a very tough physical defender who potentially will be a better defender at the WNBA level.
  • Has become a leader.
  • She is a tall guard at 6’.

Reaction Score
Not a chance, i doubt she goes in the first round. Great players can go to their left and she can't.

Reaction Score
I don't think so, although I'm increasingly optimistic that she could make first team All American, and I think for sure she'll get picked up either late in the first round or early in the second.

Kia is clearly better than she was last season, and getting better every game!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The year is young. One difficulty in analysis of UConn players is they are surrounded with such talent that the opportunity to shine every game is simply not there but for a few super stars. By like token Kia would not have all those 3 opportunities without the spacing and passing that is a UConn hallmark. Both will be drafted into the WNBA and will play abroad as well. What they make of it on and off the court, time will tell. I'm just going to enjoy the Hades out of their senior year.

Reaction Score
I don't think so, but that's not because I have any negative opinion of her either. 8 for 8 from downtown. Kia you monster!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it is a real possibility as of now.
Why Kia may get selected before Gabby in the WNBA draft.
  • The WNBA folks know her position. Kia can be drafted for her position, guard. Not a project to figure out where or how to play her. She fits existing systems.
  • Has a WNBA body. Heck she has a NHL body.
  • Has a consistent shot from anywhere on the court.
  • Has become a high percentage 3 point shot maker.
  • Has a very good handle.
  • Is a very tough physical defender who potentially will be a better defender at the WNBA level.
  • Has become a leader.
  • She is a tall guard at 6’.
Made a similar argument in a different post that Kia was a better WNBA GUARD prospect than Canada or Lexie Brown that was refuted by @bballnut90 and some others.
When comparing Kia to Gabby though you definitely want to delete this one. Gabby's body is going to hold up much better in the WNBA than Kia's.
  • Has a WNBA body.
Considering adding these Kia credentials to the list.
  • WNBA runs complex offenses, Kia knows complex offenses
  • WNBA full of international players, Kia knows international ball.
  • WNBA team needs marketing, Kia can be marketed as an Olympian.
The year is young. One difficulty in analysis of UConn players is they are surrounded with such talent that the opportunity to shine every game is simply not there but for a few super stars. By like token Kia would not have all those 3 opportunities without the spacing and passing that is a UConn hallmark. Both will be drafted into the WNBA and will play abroad as well. What they make of it on and off the court, time will tell. I'm just going to enjoy the Hades out of their senior year.
I actually drew the opposite conclusion from these same statement: Kia would make a better ( than Lexie Brown & Jordan Canada) WNBA prospect because she was a UCONN role players surrounded by superstars. That describes the situation of the vast majority of WNBA draftees. While most WNBA draftees might have been the best player on their college teams they will mostly likely not be anywhere near the best player on the WNBA team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kia's 3-point shooting has been much better in college than in international play. Her shot can be flat at times so I wonder if the FIBA/WNBA distance affects her shot. The WNBA/FIBA arc is 22 ft/1.75 inches while the NCAA arc is 20 feet/9 inches. For those who think it doesn't matter, see Whalen, Lindsay after the WNBA moved its 3-pt line back to match FIBA's before the 2013 season.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
she'll get picked up either late in the first round or early in the second.

During the UCLA game it was stated there were several WNBA folks in attendance. One of the WNBA folks was reputed to have said this game has 4 players who could/will go in the first round. Could/will? I don't remember the verb. So yeah, at least one WNBA rep agrees with you.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I recall one WNBA rep saying he liked UCONN players because they come ready to play and the are not taught plays but how to understand and know basketball. They can quickly understand and play any scheme.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did you see that rebound where Gabby skyed and grabbed the ball with one hand? You could hear the awe in the crowd. That's why Gabby will go first.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did you see that rebound where Gabby skyed and grabbed the ball with one hand? You could hear the awe in the crowd. That's why Gabby will go first.
Did you see the video clip of Sue Bird biggin up A'ja Wilson, Sue called her a beast?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

The first player to be drafted will be Wilson.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Then perhaps saying Gabby will go "before" Kia would have been more clear, then nobody would care-maybe.
Ummm that's what this thread is. ??? Hello McFly??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Gabby goes before Kia, but Kia would be a good choice. Exactly how many Olympians and NCAA champions will there be in the WNBA draft??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kia's 3-point shooting has been much better in college than in international play. Her shot can be flat at times so I wonder if the FIBA/WNBA distance affects her shot. The WNBA/FIBA arc is 22 ft/1.75 inches while the NCAA arc is 20 feet/9 inches. For those who think it doesn't matter, see Whalen, Lindsay after the WNBA moved its 3-pt line back to match FIBA's before the 2013 season.
The difference in distance shouldn't be an issue for Dangerfield. :D

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I miss Oldecoach on these threads, his basketball insight and eloquence...

I think he might mention Kia's lateral quickness and speed may be in the lower band for WNBA guards.

This affects her ability to create her own shot and perhaps guarding quicker pro guards...

Her excellent basketball instincts, toughness and passion would balance out some of this...

On fleetness of foot, it may depend on the team that drafts her if they like to run...

I need some help from others on the board to assess what impact this may have in the WNBA...

I believe Gabby goes in the TOP 3 in the draft purely athleticism and ability to impact the game in so many ways...

Kia also goes 1st rd, 12th pick Lynx...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Made a similar argument in a different post that Kia was a better WNBA GUARD prospect than Canada or Lexie Brown that was refuted by @bballnut90 and some others.
When comparing Kia to Gabby though you definitely want to delete this one. Gabby's body is going to hold up much better in the WNBA than Kia's.
  • Has a WNBA body.
Considering adding these Kia credentials to the list.
  • WNBA runs complex offenses, Kia knows complex offenses
  • WNBA full of international players, Kia knows international ball.
  • WNBA team needs marketing, Kia can be marketed as an Olympian.

I actually drew the opposite conclusion from these same statement: Kia would make a better ( than Lexie Brown & Jordan Canada) WNBA prospect because she was a UCONN role players surrounded by superstars. That describes the situation of the vast majority of WNBA draftees. While most WNBA draftees might have been the best player on their college teams they will mostly likely not be anywhere near the best player on the WNBA team.

She has potential to be a good role player in the pros. Kia does a great job of hustling, hitting open shots and playing pesky defense. She also has a good build and strength as a big 2 guard in the pros. I think the UCONN pedigree definitely helps her, but at the same time GMs will recognize that playmaking isn’t part of her arsenal. Most UCONN role players have better numbers collegiately than what pans out for them in the pros due to the system UCONN runs and the quality of looks they get. Kia was fantastic last night and shot great, but at another program she won’t be getting those cleans looks like she’s getting at Connecticut. My guess is GMs aren’t going to view her as a huge 3pt prospect despite shooting for a high percentage since almost all of her triples are catch and shoot wide open looks right on the line. Compare that to Kelsey Mitchell who doesn’t shoot as high of a percentage, but she hits threes off the dribble and hits more contested triples. Most GMs will value Mitchell as a stronger 3pt prospect than Nurse IMO. I could be wrong, but that’s my guess.

Aside from thatD Gabby is the much much more desirable prospect. She has great handles, is a fantastic passer and facilitator, good finisher and is the best defender in college basketball. She’s a fantastic rebounder and has improved immensely every year. Perhaps most significant, she is very high energy which allows her to impact the game in so many ways, whether it’s her intense full court press, deflecting passes, or tipping rebounds. Kia works hard and hustles but isn’t the same caliber of athlete or player than Williams has evolved into.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kia has become a good shooter. Here are her shooting percentages by year:

Overall .486/.443/.481/.569

3-point .408/.370/.462/.586

FTs .722/.754/.855/.778

Assists 108/104/128/19 and counting

TOs 61/53/50/12 and counting

PPG 10.2/9.3/12.2/16.2

I like her stats.

Online statistics