OT- Khan vs Peterson | The Boneyard

OT- Khan vs Peterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What you guys think? Thought Khan won a close fight, but the home guy got the decision. If Peterson won a close fight in the UK he wouldn't get the decision either.

Reaction Score
It was a great close fight, they both looked pretty gassed the last couple of rounds as expected. I thought Khan was clutching too much and then pushing Peterson away but to deduct 2 points for that was BS. Peterson was coming in low a lot so I could see a bit where Khan was coming from. The ref also called one of Peterson's slip/trips a knock down in the first round so it sort of evened out. Khan still should have won a close decision, he won the last 2 rounds, that's boxing for you. A rematch at a neutral site is in order, happy for Peterson though he has a good story and seems like a great guy. Now could we please get somebody to fight Sergio Martinez.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything you said. Really am happy for Peterson has a great story and seems like a great guy. He said he would be willing to go to the UK to fight him, I hope he doesn't do that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I actually thought Khan won the fight comfortably. Really entertaining and I thought Peterson did well, but Khan looked better to me.

Peterson definitely kept leading with his head and he was also pushing Khan, but apparently the ref didn't mind how he was doing it.

Really good fight, but as boxing tends to, it gets it wrong even when it almost gets it right.

Reaction Score
To me once Khan gets hit some his punches really lose their power. However I thought Khan did win tonight. Obviously he is not ready for Mayweather, and I am not sure he could beat Berto or Ortiz.

Reaction Score
Khan would destroy Berto, I think Ortiz @ 147 would be a very tough fight if Ortiz comes in with the same mindset to fight inside like he did against Berto. If a rematch doesn't happen with Peterson, a fight against Ortiz is definitely who I would like to see next. Peterson did much better than I expected him to, I didn't score the fight while watching so I really don't know how I would've had it on the cards but I don't think its crazy to have Peterson get the win given the point deductions. The KO in the 1st was actually a pushdown from Khan's elbow after a glancing blow so I didn't really have a problem with the 1st point deduction, I think the 2nd should've been let go though. On another note, Tim Bradley looks even worse for ducking Khan because Peterson basically fought a low budget version of how Bradley fights and he was successful with it. Bradley would apply even more pressure and be more active on the inside while not just basically allowing Khan to score easy points with the combos to the head that Peterson was giving up. For him to pass up that Khan fight and then fight a washed up Casamayor he better have a clause in his contract to fight Pac and get that payday.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I think Peterson won the fight. He landed the harder, most effective shots and tore up Khan with body shots. The body shots were the key and I think if he landed even more he could have stopped Khan. Khan was all flash and as usual a primadona after the fight. I think the issue of the points taken from Khan was a non-factor as he should have lost points throughout the fight for putting Peterson in headlocks. I hope they have a rematch but I hope it's not in England so it can be a true rematch on the fighters' merits without the crazy crowd scene common with fights there. I actually think Peterson can win easier the next time as he can use the brawling strategy from the start instead of after three rounds.

Reaction Score
I don't think Khan destroys Berto. To me once Khan gets touched up he loses all his power. He lands flashy combinations that don't hurt his opponent. Khan isn't going to be moving up to 147 for a little while now. That loss was a big step back for him. Ortiz Berto rematch I believe is set for Jan 28th. It seems as though Khan Peterson rematch is all but set.

Reaction Score
Agreed Khan wouldn't destroy Berto. Also agree that Khan is a slick fighter but he's more flash than substance. He does lose his power when he gets touched up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Has Khan lined up a fight against Yancy Gates?

Reaction Score
I'm just not sure Khan could take Berto or Ortiz's best shot.

Gates is fighting the Klitchko's

Reaction Score
Kahn allowed Peterson to get him on the ropes way too much. For a guy with his footwork & speed this is unacceptable. I did think Kahn won, however.
Somehow, when a championship fight is staged in an area which doesn't get many fights of this callibre, a "national" ref should be choosen. This local ref really factored in the verdict, unfairly. It wasn't his hometown bias as much as his inexperience in such a fight.

Reaction Score
To me once Khan gets hit some his punches really lose their power. However I thought Khan did win tonight. Obviously he is not ready for Mayweather, and I am not sure he could beat Berto or Ortiz.

Which one plays for the Bearcats?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where that ref came from, I've never even seen him ref before, pretty surprising to have him reffing a big fight, you would figure with Golden Boy co-promoting this fight they would've secured a more known ref. As far as Berto, I'm not sure what you guys see in him. Terrible defense, awful footwork with his "karate stance", bad conditioning and stamina, I've long since given up on him as he hasn't improved on any of his flaws and he's long moved past the prospect stage. Me saying Khan would blow thru him has more to do with my lack of confidence in Berto than it has to do with Khan. Only way I could see Berto making it a fight is if he fought a Peterson/Maidana fight and I think he lacks the discipline to do so, and given how corner has managed him in fights I doubt they would follow that gameplan anyway.

Reaction Score
Ive seen a few khan fights and while he has nice hand speed and footwork his defense lacks and he doesnt have a lot of pop in his punches. at 147 he`ll have even less power and power keeps your opponents honest. he is not strong enough to outbox fighters like bradley,ortiz or berto nevermind floyd or manny. khan is a very good fighter but he`s not beating the big boys. i think bradley would demolish him easy.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big Berto fan for all the reasons you said. However like I said I'm not sure Khan beats him. Peterson isn't a big puncher and his shots had an effect on Khan. I think Berto could hurt Khan when he lands his power shots. After last night Khan took a real step back and isn't a legit opponent for Mayweather. The winner of Berto vs Ortiz rematch would be a good match for Khan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom