Keyer Tweet | The Boneyard

Keyer Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/MHver3/status/304626072106967041

"What's the value of 5 2nd tier UNC basketball games? According to The BTN and Delany it's about 15 million per year in advertising alone."

If this is true, then what's the value of 12 UConn home basketball games to the BTN? Probably $20 mn/year. It doesn't take much from football and other sports plus the value of other B1G teams penetrating the NE/NY markets to push UConn's value over the top.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
http://www.google.com/trends/explor...ball, North Carolina basketball&geo=US&cmpt=q

Over the last 8 years, google trends suggests an average Interest level of 45:21 for Carolina vs Uconn basketball.

If you use that as a (very) simple indicator of a market viewership index and therefore a tv revenue value indicator UNC's per game value would be slightly more valuable than 2x Uconn's. (15/5)/2 = ~1.5 m per game for Uconn * 12 games = 18m. Who knows how strong google searches correlate to TV revenue. But it's as good an indicator as we've got.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
Exactly my math OkaForPrez. I've been thinking for months now that if you're estimating revenue for a network, basketball is crucial. Just so much more inventory, the season goes 6 months vs 4 for football, and you have games every night of the week, not just on weekends. Football was ruling the roost when playoff revenue was the goal, since the NCAA redistributes bball tourney revenue among 300 schools, but with network formation basketball becomes roughly equal in importance to football, and markets become extremely important. UConn wins on basketball and markets. We must be very high in the B1G's value estimates.

Basketball is what made ESPN rich, and the BTN and other networks are trying to steal ESPN's cash cow. They have to go for basketball.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
One other thing to note on the google stuff is UNC looks to be getting a halo effect from Duke basketball. Uconn gets one from the women's program.

Reaction Score
This sounds great and is the first thing in a while to get me excited, but why does everyone downplay the importance of basketball compared to football if it is this clear to see how much UConn basketball teams are actually worth?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This sounds great and is the first thing in a while to get me excited, but why does everyone downplay the importance of basketball compared to football if it is this clear to see how much UConn basketball teams are actually worth?
I think this is a result of the last ACC expansion. The ACC is clearly more basketball centered than the other conferences but they still went with Louisville because the few FB first schools overruled them (allegedly). Everyone thought UConn's basketball teams would make them a shoe in for the ACC over any remaining schools but that didn't happen.

pj

Reaction Score
With the current set of TV contracts, football is the only marginal source of revenue. Basketball revenue is spoken for, the biggest revenue is from the postseason tournament and the NCAA collects and redistributes that. The new football playoff system generates big money, so do conference championships, and conferences are reconfiguring themselves to capture more of this new revenue.

But once that is done, the next round of marginal revenue will be the creation of conference networks, with the B1G in the lead and Pac and SEC following. These networks need year-round inventory, TV markets, and enough schools to create sufficient inventory. That's driving the emerging interest in 20-team super conferences.

In the first round of realignment driven by football playoff money, UConn offered little value. In the next round, UConn is a major prize due to bball and markets.

Reaction Score
What does Rutgers basketball bring into the BTN? Do you think it's more than ten dollars?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What does Rutgers basketball bring into the BTN? Do you think it's more than ten dollars?

I think they were looking for someone who would play like Northwestern but bring a large new market of cable boxes too.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
nyc cable boxes seem to be worth about 20mil a year to the b10 network if they can get nyc. rutgers seems to be worth around 40-45mil. when u add the 2 it makes them a easy add. but the question is outside of the nj part of nyc how much can they get cable box wise. but, even if they didn' capture much they still are a profit $ wise and not a dreg to the b10n....

uconn bball programs and other sports total seem to be worth 23-27mil as is today. the fball program as is today but playing a b10 schedule i have heard is worth 10-15mil depending on who is expanded with them(cough uva/unc/gt). as u can see a ballpark figure today for uconn worth wise to the b10 comes in at 33-42mil. so we either are under the 40mil tossed around # or just over. but, the kicker for us is 2 things not 1. #1 of course is the nyc cable boxes. we know we bring fc/wc so atleast we have some worth of that 20mil a year nyc worth to the b10n. maybe thats 2-4mil of that. the question is combined with rutgers and then mich/psu/tosu is all of nyc on board and if so then our worth is spoke for with nyc added to our pot just like rutgers(w/e the actual # split doesn't matter...). but we have a wilcard 2nd aspect. we are young as fruck and full of potential. so we are untapped compared to just about every other school in a power 5 conf. name 1 school in a power 5 right now younger then uconn? name 1 school that will end up in a power 4 younger? we are the ne blood amazing story in bball and fresh out the oven in fball. the untapped potential is not money in hand for the b10, but the kicker in our resume in down the road our worth which will rise a lot.

i wish @frankthetank would redo his 2010 analysis on b10 possible schools. he has cuse with nyc which just is not close to uconn with nyc. he has ruty with nyc also. if u give ruty 70% of nyc and uconn 30% which considering the land seems realistic the numbers would surprise B1G time.

then hopefully he does a new list
texas/ok/kan/mizzu/ist/pitt/cuse/ruty/md/uconn/bc/umass/unc/uva/vt/gtech/fsu/miami/duke...

Reactions: pj
U

UConn9604

One other thing to note on the google stuff is UNC looks to be getting a halo effect from Duke basketball. Uconn gets one from the women's program.

Also, the words North Carolina basketball are obviously associated with NC State, too (second on the list of their related terms).

Reaction Score
Also, the words North Carolina basketball are obviously associated with NC State, too (second on the list of their related terms).
You do have a point there. So we're all pretty much equal? UConn is an elite basketball program. That likely should not change under Ollie. He is a perfect replacement for Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think there is an impression that while Ollie may be an adequate replacement for Calhoun, that there was nothing before Calhoun and could be nothing again. Therefore, it would be a big risk to take on a basketball product that could go away again. Tack on no more tourney in the MSG and (if we were in the B1G) games in lincoln and iowa city instead of pittsburgh, st. john's and cuse and its going to be a little harder to recruit even if Ollie is a homerun. Unfortunately, no one thinks UNC is going to fall off (or Kansas) I mean, if Matt Doherty can't kill a progra...

Reaction Score
UConn has the resources to stay elite now. 3 championships is not easy to achieve. One of those was with our new head coach.

Reaction Score
UConn has the resources to stay elite now. 3 championships is not easy to achieve. One of those was with our new head coach.

I completely agree, although crediting Ollie with an NC seems generous. But I think some might see the potential for a little post Snyder (before he came back) KSU. Especially with the probation issue, as it could be further speculated that Ollie will have a lesser green light with that side of things than Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom