Kevin Wolthausen also to join staff | The Boneyard

Kevin Wolthausen also to join staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
UConn: Virginia defensive line / assistant special teams coordinator Vincent Brown will join the UConn staff as co-defensive coordinator / linebackers coach, a source tells CoachingSearch. In addition, FIU special teams coordinator Kevin Wolthausen will also join Bob Diaco's staff, CoachingSearch has learned.

Reaction Score
Is he wearing a rug? In either even perhaps the Florida/recruiting connection.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He finishes the staff by being the defensive line coach. Ton's of experience at some top schools.

Good way to finish up

Reaction Score
So we have at least one spot open at WR coach. At least thats how I'm reading it.

Reaction Score
HC Bob Diaco
OC Mike Cummings*
DC Anthony Poindexter

QB Don Patterson
RB Ernest Jones
WR
TE
OL Mike Foley

DL Kevin Wolthausen
LB Vincent Brown
DB Josh Reardon

ST Wayne Lineberg

Exact roles TBD

This deserves its own thread.

Reaction Score
So we have at least one spot open at WR coach. At least thats how I'm reading it.

Some of these people may be interchangeable looking @ past experience profiles...

Reaction Score
Some of these people may be interchangeable looking @ past experience profiles...
Yeah I noticed that. Lot of Dline/LB interchangeable parts there. We're close to done, then they can focus on closing of the recruiting season. Will be interesting to see where the last few commits from.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Um, TJ Weist? And yes, I'm not serious - although I would love to see it.

These two from UVA are from a defense that allowed a ton of points last year. However their D did limit BYU to 16 points for the season opener in a win.

Reaction Score
... These two from UVA are from a defense that allowed a ton of points last year. However their D did limit BYU to 16 points for the season opener in a win.

UVA Total D ranked 65. Not horrible considering record.

Reaction Score
Isn't John Tenuta the UVA DC? He was once a Narduzzi level DC talent. No wonder that seems to be UVA's lone strength.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Is he wearing a rug? In either even perhaps the Florida/recruiting connection.

I had a hard time finding recruiting information for him, but what little I did find seems to point to his recruiting in the Ohio area. Mostly due to his time at Purdue and Louisville. The upside is that this guy has mentored a few NFL defensive linemen like Erik Flowers and Elvis Dumervil. Maybe his teaching strengths are going to be even more valuable than his recruiting strengths...

Reaction Score
I had a hard time finding recruiting information for him, but what little I did find seems to point to his recruiting in the Ohio area. Mostly due to his time at Purdue and Louisville. The upside is that this guy has mentored a few NFL defensive linemen like Erik Flowers and Elvis Dumervil. Maybe his teaching strengths are going to be even more valuable than his recruiting strengths...

Here were his areas when he was out west (ASU, UA, USCw) - Metro Phoenix, San Jose, San Francisco, Northern Arizona

This dude's pedigree is impressive.

Reaction Score

Absolute key at a program like UCONN.

Reaction Score

hmmm... think we can get a few Ohio players to come east?

Huskymedic wrote this:
Here were his areas when he was out west (ASU, UA, USCw) - Metro Phoenix, San Jose, San Francisco, Northern Arizona

Think we can start getting players from the west??

Reaction Score

Huskymedic wrote this:

If he still has any ties out there he may be able to lure one or two, but I wouldn't expect to see a pipeline and run of recruits from the left coast. Not very realistic IMO.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If he still has any ties out there he may be able to lure one or two, but I wouldn't expect to see a pipeline and run of recruits from the left coast. Not very realistic IMO.

Just like goodfellas.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Huskymedic wrote this:

Getting players from Ohio isn't unprecedented for UConn. I know that Lindsey Witten was from Ohio, and I think we had a few more over the years.

As for Wolthausen's western ties from his days at ASU, etc.; I don't know how many we can draw from those states, but I'll be interested to see how much emphasis he puts into those areas since I believe he will be the recruiting coordinator for the staff. If we see a lot of offer sheets going to kids from AR and CA, that would be pretty cool!

Reaction Score
Getting players from Ohio isn't unprecedented for UConn. I know that Lindsey Witten was from Ohio, and I think we had a few more over the years.

We actually had three guys from Ohio this season. Marquise Vann, Angelo Pruitt and Liam Sallquist are all from Cincinnati. If we could continue, or actually increase, the amount of talent we're pulling from Ohio, that would only help our recruiting in the future!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We actually had three guys from Ohio this season. Marquise Vann, Angelo Pruitt and Liam Sallquist are all from Cincinnati. If we could continue, or actually increase, the amount of talent we're pulling from Ohio, that would only help our recruiting in the future!

Good catch! Maybe I should just scan back for the last 5 years and see what we've done in Ohio. I'll come back and edit this post when I'm done. We certainly had a great deal of success in PA under Edsall (and PP), and we continue to get recruits from there to this day (Carrezola). So continuing to add a healthy dose of Ohio would be great, and Wolthausen's days at Purdue suggest he knows the area well...

EDIT: The only other players I could find in addition to the ones we've already mentioned are Teddy Jennings (2008) and Billy Cundiff (2005). Needless to say, increasing our presence in Ohio could really help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate