Kevin Ollie has forgiven UConn, focused on coaching at Overtime Elite: 'I'm doing great over here' (Borges) | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie has forgiven UConn, focused on coaching at Overtime Elite: 'I'm doing great over here' (Borges)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

-> Overtime Elite (OTE) is based in Atlanta, at a temporary site for the next month until its state-of-the-art facility in the trendy Atlantic Station area of the city is ready. The league hasn’t released a schedule yet, but plans to start playing games in late-October. It will feature interleague games, with three teams of eight players each playing each other, as well as games against prep schools from around the country.

How will that work? Overtime Elite will bring its three teams to different schools to play games against the two teams that most prep schools feature, in a jamboree-style event. The league is also planning overseas trips for next year, once COVID-19 travel restrictions loosen. <-

-> There’s also an academic program that includes courses in math, science, humanities, social studies and other subjects. Three days a week, the athletes tend to academics in the morning, then begin practice around 1 p.m. Twice a week, they’ll practice early, then move on to their academics. And three times a week, at night, the players will return to the gym for skills development. <-

->Ollie has tried to remain positive throughout his now 31/2-year battle with UConn. A new arbitrator is on the case. Win or lose, Ollie hopes that one day, he will again be embraced by UConn Nation.

“I’ve forgiven, hopefully they’ve forgiven,” he said. “I’m going on with my life, I’m doing great over here with OTE. I wish Dan Hurley, all those guys, as much success as possible. Hopefully, one day we could possibly (reconcile). But I’m gonna take care of today.” And today, for Kevin Ollie, means Overtime Elite. Level 120.

“I’ll let my lawyers take care of the arbitration,” he added. “Hopefully, that’s over soon, that’s all behind us, and we can move forward.” <-

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wine Oysters GIF by Williamsburg Winery

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I know I'm more than likely in the minority here, but I wish Kevin well & am happy to hear that both sides have found success post-firing. It may have been Calhoun's recruits that brought us that 2014 title, but he was a heck of a motivator during that run & instilled a lot of confidence in the kids.

Like many of us, I believe that he had personal issues that weighed him down & he shifted his priorities to things outside of the team in order to cope. Not saying that was a wise decision & not saying his on-court/recruiting performance was acceptable in the least, but he is human & he is a Husky. I hope this lawsuit nonsense gets situated so that all parties can reconcile & move forward.

Reaction Score
I don't dislike KO but his quotes remind me of Chance the Gardener

Reaction Score
Not sure why we need to post general Instagram posts from Ollie. I mean do we post everything every former player or coach posts to social media that has nothing to do with UConn?

Reaction Score
The 2014 defensive game plans in March belong in the hall of fame. Wish he didn’t turn out to be such an a hole…thanks for the championship but I don’t think he’ll be welcomed back anytime soon lol

Reaction Score
Like KO or not, OTE and KO are part of the college basketball landscape. We better understand how he tries to motivate - I found it very interesting. Using the pace they would play at vs. how much they invested in their conditioning but KO wants to run. Makes Chief think of discussions a few months ago about UConn’s pace. Kids want to run. Does UConn do that? KO is selling that.
I recognize the part about academics is BS but having probably 10-15 potential first round picks in one gym - has its appeal from a scouting efficiency standpoint.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well we'll see if he's moved on after the arbitration concludes. If he tries to sue UConn even though the time for filing has lapsed (as his lawyers suggested that he would), we will know that the desire for "reconciliation" was more KO BS.

@husky429 nailed this. Forgive UConn for what? Firing your ass when you got caught cheating, lied to your boss to cover it up and lied to the NCAA resulting in kids losing game eligibility and the university losing scholarships and you getting a 3 year show cause order?

"I've accused UConn of racism and tried to smear the reputation of HOF coach who put himself on the line to get me my first head coaching job... but I forgive UConn"

STFU Kevin.

Reaction Score
He did kinda get screwed over, though ultimately it was his poor performance that led to it. Should’ve been handled better on both sides, but whatever it’s in the past.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This sounds like a bad sit-com.

"You forgive me? I don't even forgive you yet!" <laugh track>

Reaction Score
ok ok ... I get it

Kevin Ollie won us a National Championship in 2014. NOOOO. Shabazz Napier did NOT coach that team - Waquoit

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He did kinda get screwed over, though ultimately it was his poor performance that led to it. Should’ve been handled better on both sides, but whatever it’s in the past.
Respectfully I disagree. When you do something your bosses told you specifically not to do, get caught and lie about it, and then double down on those lies to a regulating authority causing the place that hired you to be punished, you get fired. There is no one’s fault but your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom