Kevin Mensah: Heading for the Records Books (UConn) | The Boneyard

Kevin Mensah: Heading for the Records Books (UConn)

Reaction Score
It's pretty much the result of the coaching staff never taking him out or trying to develop another running back.

Reaction Score
It's pretty much the result of the coaching staff never taking him out or trying to develop another running back.

Asinine comment. I guess it has nothing to do with talent and hard work.

I take it you already forgot about Art Thompkins (2019), Nate Hopkins (2017), Arkeel Newsome (2017) and the rushing feats of David Pindell in 2018.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Mensah is criticized more than any other UConn back that I can remember. He isn't big like Lou Allen, he isn't fast like Todman or as explosive as Donald Brown. He doesn't have the wiggle of Newsome. But on bad teams he picks up over 1000 yards a season on teams that are constantly behind and a line that was never a real strength. He is more in line of the Andre Dixons and Cornell Brockingtons, and that isn't bad. I appreciate his hard work and willingness to not go down.

Reaction Score
Asinine comment. I guess it has nothing to do with talent and hard work.

I take it you already forgot about Art Thompkins (2019), Nate Hopkins (2017), Arkeel Newsome (2017) and the rushing feats of David Pindell in 2018.

Stupid reply. The post was about the coach not the player. Mensah has had a nice career.

I said nothing about Mensah's talent or hard work. I only mentioned playing time. Why do you think Black left the program? This is a result of Edsall refusing to put in younger player even during blowouts. The same lunacy set back Krajewski who only got a tiny bit of time as a redshirt, when there were plenty of opportunities to get him into four games and have him receive important experience.

Mensah's run at hese numbers would not be possible without Edsall nailing all the back up running backs to the bench, even during blowouts.

Reaction Score
Stupid reply. The post was about the coach not the player. Mensah has had a nice career.

I said nothing about Mensah's talent or hard work. I only mentioned playing time. Why do you think Black left the program? This is a result of Edsall refusing to put in younger player even during blowouts. The same lunacy set back Krajewski who only got a tiny bit of time as a redshirt, when there were plenty of opportunities to get him into four games and have him receive important experience.

Mensah's run at hese numbers would not be possible without Edsall nailing all the back up running backs to the bench, even during blowouts.

Thompkins was the back-up last year and he was not nailed to the bench, much of the season they alternated series.

As far as redshirt freshman Black goes I wish him luck, that said I think Edsall's best trait as a coach is talent evaluation.

Go ahead and name the players that have left Edsall teams and have gone on to great success somewhere else and made Edsall look bad in the process.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Art Thompkins 2019 highlights. It will be interesting so see how he performs at the UCONN pro-day. I could see him getting a camp invite. I wish we had him for another year.

Reaction Score
It is no secret that much PT is given by Randy from what he sees as effort in practice.
It is also no secret that many players leave a program because they were over recruited and may never see the field. Not saying that is why Black left but it could be for any number of reasons.

Not calling the quote above silly or anything like that but it flies in the face of the fact that under Randy, Todman and Dixon had over a thousand yards in the same same season. ;)

Reaction Score
Thompkins was the back-up last year and he was not nailed to the bench, much of the season they alternated series.

As far as redshirt freshman Black goes I wish him luck, that said I think Edsall's best trait as a coach is talent evaluation.

Go ahead and name the players that have left Edsall teams and have gone on to great success somewhere else and made Edsall look bad in the process.
I think Mensah is good but I wouldn’t say that hie and Thompkins alternated series. I would guess that it was more like 70/30 percent. However, I thought Thompkins did a good job on punt returns. Even when Thompkins got hurt Edsall kept Mensah in for the majority of the game. That is not how you develop the younger running backs, they need game time experience. Also, it puts a lot of pressure on Mensah. Randy might know how to evaluate talent (which is debatable) but once they get on campus all bets are off.

Reaction Score
In 2019.

Mensah got 266 carries, 69% of all carries by running backs.
Thompkins --98
Black --13
Monicon --3
O'Reilly --5

Black only saw the field in 6 games and his high carries was 3 in a game. It's impossible to develop with that workload. Given the number of blow outs the Huskies dealt, it would have been easy to get hi carries rather than run Mensah over and over. No wonder Black didn't stick around,

Reaction Score
In 2019.

Mensah got 266 carries, 69% of all carries by running backs.
Thompkins --98
Black --13
Monicon --3
O'Reilly --5

Black only saw the field in 6 games and his high carries was 3 in a game. It's impossible to develop with that workload. Given the number of blow outs the Huskies dealt, it would have been easy to get hi carries rather than run Mensah over and over. No wonder Black didn't stick around,

What was his % of carries in 2017 and 2018?

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
I think Mensah is good but I wouldn’t say that hie and Thompkins alternated series. I would guess that it was more like 70/30 percent. However, I thought Thompkins did a good job on punt returns. Even when Thompkins got hurt Edsall kept Mensah in for the majority of the game. That is not how you develop the younger running backs, they need game time experience. Also, it puts a lot of pressure on Mensah. Randy might know how to evaluate talent (which is debatable) but once they get on campus all bets are off.
Randy's talent evaluation is debatable? All those 2 stars who made it to the NFL would disagree. As would anyone who is objective in what he does. If you want to knock game management or offensive game calling, you got something to talk about. Saying things that makes you roll your eyes, you got it. But talent evaluation is not one of them.

Reaction Score
Randy's talent evaluation is debatable? All those 2 stars who made it to the NFL would disagree. As would anyone who is objective in what he does. If you want to knock game management or offensive game calling, you got something to talk about. Saying things that makes you roll your eyes, you got it. But talent evaluation is not one of them.
Yes, very debatable. You’re saying because two players went to the NFL (out of how many hundreds of recruits)? Look at what he has evaluated since his return. He’s won only six games. It would seem that someone who can effectively evaluate talent would have more wins than that.

Reaction Score
Yes, very debatable. You’re saying because two players went to the NFL (out of how many hundreds of recruits)? Look at what he has evaluated since his return. He’s won only six games. It would seem that someone who can effectively evaluate talent would have more wins than that.

Only 2 Edsall players went to the NFL?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

The silence is deafening!!!!!!

Reaction Score

Ridiculous, isn't it, how some people seem to know nothing?
You know the facts, but for their edification, in 2010 or thereabouts Edsall had more than ten guys in the NFL at one time so who knows where some people get their data. We were defensive back U at that time and the development of running backs like Brown, Dixon and Todman, and players like Beatty on the O-line and Kendall Reyes on the D-line speaks volumes about his ability to evaluate players and develop them.

Reaction Score
That was suppose to be “two star” players. My bad for not proofreading. It’s obvious we disagree about the evaluation part but you are spot on in your other assessments regarding game management and offensive game calling.

Reaction Score
KM is a good back. He has limitations which limit his upside. Can’t get to the edge, doesn’t see holes well, and goes down on contact fairly easily. All that said, he seems to find ways to rack up yardage. So, hats off.

Reaction Score
I don't think he goes down on contact too easily. He fights for yards too.

Agreed. The last two seasons he has broken plenty of tackles and been tough to bring down. He struggled his (true) freshman year and some people can't get that season out of their mind. Mensah didn't get the benefit of a redshirt year like D. Brown, and Andre Dixon did.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The last two seasons he has broken plenty of tackles and been tough to bring down. He struggled his (true) freshman year and some people can't get that season out of their mind. Mensah didn't get the benefit of a redshirt year like D. Brown, and Andre Dixon did.
Remember when people commented how jacked he looked at the 2018 spring game? He became harder to bring down after an off season hitting the weights.

Reaction Score
I don't think he goes down on contact too easily. He fights for yards too.
That’s why I used “fairly” easily. He’s not a true power back by any stretch. But, he gets the job done.

Reaction Score
Last year was the first year he began to get yards after contact. He has definitely improved in that area.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Darius Butler was a 2 star. Will Beatty was a 2 star. Donald Thomas was a 2 star(hell he was a walk on). Marcus Easley. Anthony Sherman and Deon Anderson were 3 stars but at fullback. The list goes on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom