Kevin Duffy: Manuel facing decision of a lifetime on Calhoun's successor | The Boneyard

Kevin Duffy: Manuel facing decision of a lifetime on Calhoun's successor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That was well written if I don't say so myself. I like the Shaka references and Duffy seems to realize this is a Poker game. Five star article in my most humble of opinions of course. *****

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Calhoun has left Manual with one play. Manual just needs to magnanimous while he plays the cards he's been dealt.

Reaction Score
good read, and he answered the question regarding whether the coach in waiting designation was state law or not. I remember quite a few posters on here were adamant that is was a law you couldn't do it...

Reaction Score
XRM is class of 13. He could be referring to Ahmed Hill, who has spoken very highly of Ollie in the past and is around there in the rankings.

Reaction Score
Well written piece. But I can't imagine keeping Calhoun around as a "consultant" to the basketball team. Now that NEVER works. Either the head coach is the head coach or he isn't. Either he makes the decisions or he doesn't. And can you imagine the first time Ollie goes against Calhoun's "advice?" You want to make Calhoun a "consultant" make him one of those no-show consultants. Or better yet, send him to Brazil from October to May 1 to look for potential players there. When there are 2 guys in charge, nobody is in charge...I wasn't all that concerned about Calhoun's retirement. I figured we could land a top notch basketball coach, it might take a year for things to get re-organized, but they would and we'd be back in the national headlines...now I see nothing but a potential nightmare with a coach who doesn't want to coach but won't go away and wants a lackey to replace him (not a knock on Ollie who by all accounts is a good guy.It is apparently Calhoun's view of the next coach...he wants someone who will do what he tells him...). This will be a royal mess. best thing that could happen would be that Calhoun comes back this year, announces his retirement at the end of the season, maybe even at the beginning, and UConn begins to feel out other head coaches about the job.

Reaction Score
Well written piece. But I can't imagine keeping Calhoun around as a "consultant" to the basketball team. Now that NEVER works. Either the head coach is the head coach or he isn't. Either he makes the decisions or he doesn't. And can you imagine the first time Ollie goes against Calhoun's "advice?" You want to make Calhoun a "consultant" make him one of those no-show consultants. Or better yet, send him to Brazil from October to May 1 to look for potential players there. When there are 2 guys in charge, nobody is in charge...I wasn't all that concerned about Calhoun's retirement. I figured we could land a top notch basketball coach, it might take a year for things to get re-organized, but they would and we'd be back in the national headlines...now I see nothing but a potential nightmare with a coach who doesn't want to coach but won't go away and wants a lackey to replace him (not a knock on Ollie who by all accounts is a good guy.It is apparently Calhoun's view of the next coach...he wants someone who will do what he tells him...). This will be a royal mess. best thing that could happen would be that Calhoun comes back this year, announces his retirement at the end of the season, maybe even at the beginning, and UConn begins to feel out other head coaches about the job.

Do you think Calhoun's going to be in the huddle or out on the road watching AAU tournaments and telling Ollie who to go after? He wants to be "around the program" - he's not going to be making the decisions. He'll make some speeches, he'll fundraise, he'll sell the program, he may talk to an occassional recruit. He won't be calling the plays.

Reaction Score
the best thing you can do when you leave a program is go away. A few people have done that successfully.Bear Bryant is one example. Said he wanted no input on selection of his replacement but was confident they'd pick someone he would be happy with. Many haven't. they just can't bring themselves to leave. You know what, if Calhoun just makes the occassional speech to alumni, does a bit of fundraising, that's fine. But if he decides he wants or needs to "advise" his replacement, that isn't. In effect, if he's a "ceremonial" figure, that's fine. If he's involved in the actual program, it won't be. Manual needs to set clear, bright lines on that, and so does Ollie. I can see the former doing it. Can't see Ollie doing it though.

Reaction Score
Calhoun said last year on Mike Francesca's show that he wants to serve in a similar capacity that John Thompson does at Georgetown does, Thompson isn't meddling and being a nusance to the program in the manner that you're suggesting Calhoun would.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calhoun said last year on Mike Francesca's show that he wants to serve in a similar capacity that John Thompson does at Georgetown does, Thompson isn't meddling and being a nusance to the program in the manner that you're suggesting Calhoun would.

So they should hire Jeff Calhoun?

I heard that Francesa thing too. I even remember where I heard it. It stuck out because he really hadn't said things like that before. It seems to me JC is concerned about his legacy. If he was good with it, when he stepped down he would be off to Hilton Head. But he knows his legacy has been negatively affected and I wonder if this desire to stick around doesn't come from trying to get some personal closure.

Reaction Score
good read, and he answered the question regarding whether the coach in waiting designation was state law or not. I remember quite a few posters on here were adamant that is was a law you couldn't do it...
yeah... woops.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calhoun has left Manual with one play. Manual just needs to magnanimous while he plays the cards he's been dealt.

Perhaps you are right. He should just admit he isn't up to the job of major college AD before he even gets started.

Reaction Score
This reminds me a lot of when UNC coach Dean Smith was retiring, they chose Bill Guthridge, then Matt Doherty and then finally Roy Williams. For a good three years UNC became very mediocre although they managed to have stellar recruiting classes.

Warde needs to make the right call.

Reaction Score
more from Duffy on twitter:

Kevin Duffy
@KevinRDuffy
Just heard from a 2014 4-star recruit. Said he'd "more than likely" come to #UConn if Ollie got job post-Calhoun

Reaction Score
more from Duffy on twitter:

Kevin Duffy
@KevinRDuffy
Just heard from a 2014 4-star recruit. Said he'd "more than likely" come to #UConn if Ollie got job post-Calhoun

Well we wouldn't want that now would we?

Reaction Score
If done right when JC retires, and Ollie appointed HC, is Ollie could have JC, Blaney, Hobbs, & Miller to fall back regarding advice.
I doubt Calhoun hangs around Storrs like Carneseca does at St. Johns, but I can see him fundraising, and available for advice off campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom