OT: Kersosene heaters | The Boneyard

OT: Kersosene heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was nagged into buying one today along with 2 gallons of odorless kerosene. Anybody ever use them? Wondering how effective they are. Had to drive to Manchester from to get one early this morning. When I left from Southington they had 56 and when I got there they had 9.

Reaction Score
I had one years ago when they first became popular. They work very, very well. Just make sure you cool it down before adding kerosene when it runs out. We had a large 2 story house and warmed even the 2nd floor.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I went with an indoor propane heater. From what I read, they are completely safe for indoor use. I'll only use it if indoor temp gets to 50 or lower.

Reaction Score
Was nagged into buying one today along with 2 gallons of odorless kerosene. Anybody ever use them? Wondering how effective they are. Had to drive to Manchester from to get one early this morning. When I left from Southington they had 56 and when I got there they had 9.
I had one in the 70's .they were the rage. They do work but the room requies some ventilation. They suck up the oxygen.

Reaction Score
Definitely ventilate. I've used them before and they work fine ; open a window or two slightly. I'm so hoping not to lose power.

Reaction Score
I read the thread title as "Kerosene Haters" and immediately wondered why anyone would feel that strongly about kerosene. Maybe I've been on the internet too long.

Reaction Score
Stayed in a house that had one as an aux heater - for economic reasons. Not sure if it was cheaper than the orig heat plant in the house, but it smelled like hell. We thought we'd have headaches for a month.

Reaction Score
Stayed in a house that had one as an aux heater - for economic reasons. Not sure if it was cheaper than the orig heat plant in the house, but it smelled like hell. We thought we'd have headaches for a month.

It is not a cheap source of heat but very useful if your power goes off as your only source of heat. It works well.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I went with an indoor propane heater. From what I read, they are completely safe for indoor use. I'll only use it if indoor temp gets to 50 or lower.
I should have gone with one of those. I wouldn't recommend kerosene... it worked but the emissions bothered me to much, even with a window cracked. I'm going to Craig's List mine and get a propane heater.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I should have gone with one of those. I wouldn't recommend kerosene... it worked but the emissions bothered me to much, even with a window cracked. I'm going to Craig's List mine and get a propane heater.

Luckily I haven't had to use mine yet, but I have a friend who uses one in his workshop, and in his greenhouse. They work great. Be sure to get one with a built in CO monitor. It'll automatically shut off if CO levels rise.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I had one in the 70's .they were the rage. They do work but the room requies some ventilation. They suck up the oxygen.
I grew up with one shooting heat up the stairwell. Ah, that gagging smell when they run out of fuel. Memories.

Reaction Score
Fortunately the power never went out and the heater is going back to Home Depot along with 2 gallons of odorless kerosene. Thanks to all for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom