Kerry Bascomb | The Boneyard

Kerry Bascomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
John A's blog has her remembrance. You'll want to click on, for it's a really touching story.
What a heart our coach has.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually I remember working out on the universal while WBB games were going on. If someone else was using a station, I'd walk over and look through the curtain at the game. That was before Geno and Chris though.

This quote interested me:

What few people remember though, is that Chris Dailey coached us to that victory (as due to a scheduling conflict Geno was banned from even being in the gymnasium at Seton Hall University for the game).

Anyone know the full story? Was Geno "banned" or was it just a scheduling conflict?

The blog post is a great read and shows the side of Geno that you rarely see in public.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Actually I remember working out on the universal while WBB games were going on. If someone else was using a station, I'd walk over and look through the curtain at the game. That was before Geno and Chris though.

This quote interested me:

Anyone know the full story? Was Geno "banned" or was it just a scheduling conflict?

The blog post is a great read and shows the side of Geno that you rarely see in public.
In 1989 Geno paid a favor to a friend who was the Eastern Connecticut coach and had UConn "scrimmage" against them, but Big East later ruled that had to be counted as an actual game, which would have put UConn over the limit for maximum games played. Syracuse paid a favor by agreeing to drop its scheduled game with UConn so that UConn could get into the BEast tourney. Geno was suspended and CD coached UConn to its first BEast tourney championship.

Reaction Score
It was Ms Bascom's development as a three point shooter that made Coach Auriemma fall in love with the three point shot and incorporate it into his offensive scheme. It is far from an overstatement to say that Ms Bascom developed into a three point shooter. She only took three 3 pointers in her freshman year, missing them all, and made 60 her sophomore year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bascom. Kerry Bascom :)

You are absolutely right.

Ms Bascom tells the story of the team attending her mother's wake in the CPTV DVD "UConn Women's Basketball Biography & History Collection." Very compelling. Reminded me of a similar story when Juwan Howard's grandmother passed away the very afternoon she had signed off on his letter of intent to Michigan earlier that morning. At the funeral, he watched the stream of mourners passing by the coffin, then spotted two white guys in the corner of his eye, coach Steve Fisher and assistant coach Brian Dutcher; an entire year before he would play a game for the Wolverines and make unforgettable basketball history. Twenty three years later, Fisher and Dutcher are still a coaching tandem building a very nice program at San Diego State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom