Kentucky Sits Atop the Most Overrated College Basketball Programs of the Last Decade | The Boneyard

Kentucky Sits Atop the Most Overrated College Basketball Programs of the Last Decade

Reaction Score
O.K. great. But look who is #2 on their list. Ugh. Not the top of list I like seeing UConn on.

Kentucky Sits Atop the Most Overrated College Basketball Programs of the Last Decade

#2 Connecticut Huskies (-101 points, 9 seasons)

Yes, Connecticut won two national titles in this span. One of those was in 2011 when they were unranked in preseason and won the title as a 3-seed on the back of Kemba Walker. But man, they have been way overrated in almost every other season. Yes, one of those included a year where they were banned from the postseason, but they weren’t that good anyway.

Connecticut has been ranked each of the last three years, and has one tournament appearance (as a #9 seed) to show for it. They were preseason #12 in 2010, and missed the tournament also. UCONN has only finished the year ranked once in the last six times they were ranked in the preseason.

Reaction Score
I just have a problem with the idea that a Final 4 finish is NOT a good year.

That sounds crazy to me.

It's dumb methodology.

Safe to ignore the results, even if for us they are perhaps accurate on the whole.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's dumb methodology.

Safe to ignore the results, even if for us they are perhaps accurate on the whole.

Very dumb methodology. All it shows is that the media is quite poor in picking its preseason top 25. That's all, and nothing else.

Reaction Score
When will people on this Board stop caring about polls, recruiting rankings etc, or give one rat's ass about what the media thinks? We won 2 NCs and made a Final Four over the last decade. Outside of Duke and Carolina, is there another team in the country that wouldn't trade places with that?? And they both did it with the wind at their backs....we did not.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Very dumb methodology. All it shows is that the media is quite poor in picking its preseason top 25. That's all, and nothing else.

Was going to reply similarly. Using preseason rankings as a means of baseline source of reference as justification for being overrated is a poor methodology. Plain and simple.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
ANOTHER stupid useless list
Win two National Championships in last 10 years and you are a disappointment
But then again this dolt has UNC and MSU up there too - but if Puke is ranked consistently in the top 4 every year and don't make it to the final four at least 60% of the time - that's OK
I have been disappointed in UConn at times but again, in last decade, how many teams won more than 1 NC?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hard to argue with this. The last 10 years have included some major disappointments under both JC (2010, 2012), and KO (2015-17).

I'll never understand why there's a difference in reaction between what's said by posters here and members of the media.

The subpar recruiting, nonexistent player development, hemorrhaging of highly-touted players via transfers, etc. are discussed constantly on this board -- and people act surprised when the players on this roster aren't mentioned in those Top ____ lists?

Reaction Score
I'll never understand why there's a difference in reaction between what's said by posters here and members of the media.

The subpar recruiting, nonexistent player development, hemorrhaging of highly-touted players via transfers, etc. are discussed constantly on this board -- and people act surprised when the players on this roster aren't mentioned in those Top ____ lists?
It's the Animal House mentality: "They can't do that to our team, only WE can do that to our team"

Reaction Score

In his article he fails to mention that UCONN won two National Championships during this 10 year period after being unranked to start the year. Has that ever happened to any other team! He also fails to mention making the final four in another year when the preseason rankings didn't predict it after losing their leading scorer halfway thru the year. As someone else pointed out,one of the years not making the tournament they were suspended but still won 20 games despite what I believe were 5 players injured by the end of the year and sitting on the bench and needing Napier to play despite his broken foot. If anything they were the most under rated team of the decade.

Reaction Score
That is a freakin dumb list. I guess the writer is sick of losing to a majority of those teams on the list.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We've missed the tourney a few times and been seeded lower that our record when we've made it. Not covered by the definition of overrated.

If you are talking about TV ratings then were are properly rated. This is a cheap shot haterade job.

Reaction Score
Just what I want to do, waste time hating Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Hard to argue with this. The last 10 years have included some major disappointments under both JC (2010, 2012), and KO (2015-17).
Two National Championships
Survival of an attempt by the NCAA to kill our program
Loss of our league
Departure of our HOF coach
This list is BS

Reaction Score
How is Duke not on the list with all their early tourney exits in that span?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Glad our members showed the national media how to do their jobs for the 43rd time this offseason. It's always them, and not us.

Hopefully someday the general fan base will wake up and start holding their beloved Huskies to the same standards that it seems everyone in "not just Husky blue" land seems to generally accept.

Reaction Score
I'd take being called "overrated" alongside Kentucky as a compliment considering how uneven the last 10 years have been and how lean the last 3 have been.

Reaction Score
Glad our members showed the national media how to do their jobs for the 43rd time this offseason. It's always them, and not us.

Hopefully someday the general fan base will wake up and start holding their beloved Huskies to the same standards that it seems everyone in "not just Husky blue" land seems to generally accept.

I actually agree with this. Too many overprotective parents around here lately.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

And what, pray tell, will that actually do to affect the trajectory of the program besides making you less Mad Online?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
two national titles and 3 final fours and UConn is overrated

:confused:

just another hater hating, Cuse grad maybe?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
And what, pray tell, will that actually do to affect the trajectory of the program besides making you less Mad Online?
Mad? Lmao.

Are you just delusional or just stupid?

I am literally here today, speaking to you all, about how the anger you all are expressing, here in this very thread is completely useless and futile.

And your response, Mr. Stairmaster, is "hey why are you so mad". Once again, you continue to miss every pivotal point, each crucial detail, each subtle nuance completely. The irony in your post is some funny stuff. Some people really don't realize they are the fool in the room.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In terms of Kentucky, I dont think the team is overrated, but the coach sure as hell is. I mean you cant deny the talent theyve had: Wall, Towns, Davis, Cousins and so on. But somehow squid can only win one ring with an nba all star roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom