Kent State Freshman Football Player Dies After Practice | The Boneyard

Kent State Freshman Football Player Dies After Practice

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Extremely sad news. Thoughts and prayers to his family and the Kent State football family.

Drew

Reaction Score
Statement on the Tragic Loss of Tyler Heintz | Kent State University

Today, the Kent State University family mourns the tragic loss of one of our student-athletes, freshman football player Tyler Heintz. Tyler was transported to a local hospital by paramedics this morning following football conditioning drills at Dix Stadium. The cause of death is not yet known.

Tyler was from Kenton, Ohio, and planned to study marketing and entrepreneurship in the College of Business Administration. Tyler was recruited as a rising star on our offensive line.

Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with Tyler’s family and friends, as well as Coach Haynes and the team, our athletics staff and our student-athletes.

Drew

Reaction Score
Kent St.: Procedures obeyed before player died

Kent State's athletic department says its trainers and coaches followed the right procedures during an offseason workout after which a freshman football player died.

The school in northeast Ohio did say Monday that it has fired a football strength and conditioning coach who was at the workout because it found he had given false information about his certification.

Kent State officials say the other staff members overseeing the conditioning session were properly certified.

Reaction Score
I'd like to think they could do more to ferret out these heart problems in advance. I still think they are killing these kids with over the top conditioning exercises. It would be better if the NCAA required these kids to be in camp conditioning a few weeks earlier with graduated intensity. Those first few days are hell, even back in my day. It took a good two weeks to feel even remotely adjusted. I was never sufficiently in shape walking into camp for the sudden intensity, even if I thought I was. Too much bravado and not enough common sense.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I'd like to think they could do more to ferret out these heart problems in advance. I still think they are killing these kids with over the top conditioning exercises. It would be better if the NCAA required these kids to be in camp conditioning a few weeks earlier with graduated intensity. Those first few days are hell, even back in my day. It took a good two weeks to feel even remotely adjusted. I was never sufficiently in shape walking into camp for the sudden intensity, even if I thought I was. Too much bravado and not enough common sense.

this was an out of season workout, I.E. conditioning that happened in june

Reaction Score
this was an out of season workout, I.E. conditioning that happened in june
I stand by the commentary that graduated conditioning is key with more effective pre screening.

Reaction Score
IMG_3877.JPG
Statement on the Tragic Loss of Tyler Heintz | Kent State University

Today, the Kent State University family mourns the tragic loss of one of our student-athletes, freshman football player Tyler Heintz. Tyler was transported to a local hospital by paramedics this morning following football conditioning drills at Dix Stadium. The cause of death is not yet known.

Tyler was from Kenton, Ohio, and planned to study marketing and entrepreneurship in the College of Business Administration. Tyler was recruited as a rising star on our offensive line.

Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with Tyler’s family and friends, as well as Coach Haynes and the team, our athletics staff and our student-athletes.

Tragic news. Prayers go out to his family and friends that they can get through this extremely difficult time. Nothing worse than losing a child! I lost my nephew Brian age 19 several months ago. I brought him to signing day in Feb. 2016. I see what my sister is going through. Miss him terribly as I know Tyler's family will. Very sad. You never know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Well said. Having experienced Hellish practices at the high school and college level, I agree. I believe the safe guards are light years ahead of my day but still an over zealous coach can be toxic. Not saying in this case but in general.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom