KenPom and the NCAAs | The Boneyard

KenPom and the NCAAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember a few years ago everyone talking about the fact that every year since Pomeroy rankings started, the championship team was in the Top 20 of both offensive and defensive efficiency.

There were 2 exceptions: 2009, UNC had a defense ranked 21.
Last year, UConn had an offense ranked 39. I think last year's team had the problem, though, of Daniels being injured through late-January into mid-to-late-February. That pulled down those numbers.

This year, the remaining teams that qualify:

Team: Offense, Defense
Kentucky: 6, 1
Arizona: 7, 3
Utah: 16, 7
Wichita State: 18, 13

That's it.

Wisconsin, Duke, and Gonzaga have top ranked offenses (1, 2, and 4 respectively), and 2014-UConn offense level-rankings for their D (39, 44, and 35 respectively). Oklahoma looks like 2014 UConn (46, 6), but without Shabazz.

That's half the S16. But it does tell you that Utah-Duke might be closer than the casual observer would expect. It would suggest taking Wichita State over Notre Dame (which I did in my pool). And it suggests Wichita State might be able to give Kentucky a game.

Lastly, I'd say it suggests whoever comes out of the South will likely play--and lose to--Kentucky or Arizona in the title game.

Let's go Arizona.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love that Utah team. They could blow the whole half of the bracket up on Friday.
With that bracket, we might have either a rematch of the 1998 title (UK-Utah), or a rematch of the 1998 West regional (Arizona-Utah), for the title.

I'm frankly picking whoever comes out of that Duke-Utah match as one finals team.

Reaction Score
I'm feeling pretty good about my Arizona pick to win it all. Since moving to California I've seen a lot of PAC-12 games. They're better than Kentucky 1-3 and I think Ashley and Tarczewski can matchup with their bigs just enough.

Reaction Score
I remember a few years ago everyone talking about the fact that every year since Pomeroy rankings started, the championship team was in the Top 20 of both offensive and defensive efficiency.

There were 2 exceptions: 2009, UNC had a defense ranked 21.
Last year, UConn had an offense ranked 39. I think last year's team had the problem, though, of Daniels being injured through late-January into mid-to-late-February. That pulled down those numbers.

This year, the remaining teams that qualify:

Team: Offense, Defense
Kentucky: 6, 1
Arizona: 7, 3
Utah: 16, 7
Wichita State: 18, 13

That's it.

Wisconsin, Duke, and Gonzaga have top ranked offenses (1, 2, and 4 respectively), and 2014-UConn offense level-rankings for their D (39, 44, and 35 respectively). Oklahoma looks like 2014 UConn (46, 6), but without Shabazz.

That's half the S16. But it does tell you that Utah-Duke might be closer than the casual observer would expect. It would suggest taking Wichita State over Notre Dame (which I did in my pool). And it suggests Wichita State might be able to give Kentucky a game.

Lastly, I'd say it suggests whoever comes out of the South will likely play--and lose to--Kentucky or Arizona in the title game.

Let's go Arizona.

Agree with everything. I have Wichita St to lose to Ky, but i think they can give them a real game. I have Gonzaga in the title game and feel pretty good about it. They have experience, guards, size, shooting, depth everything you could want. Duke just doesn't have any depth which could eventually kill them. Gonzaga definitely has the potential to beat anyone (including Ky and Az.)

I picked Wisconsin simply because I will never pick Ky ( or Cal) to win, but I'm not feeling so good about it. I didn't realize their pg broke his foot. Arizona will probably take them down, but I don't think they have enough shooting, or a good enough backcourt to beat Ky (Johnson is a wing and not a 2 imo).

Reaction Score
What about Izzo and Michigan St? Their D must be close to top 20 but probably not too high on the offense rating.

They are a #7 seed. Just like another team who won it all. I've got them going to the Final Four along with Duke, Arizona, and Kentcky.

Reaction Score
What about Izzo and Michigan St? Their D must be close to top 20 but probably not too high on the offense rating.

They are a #7 seed. Just like another team who won it all. I've got them going to the Final Four along with Duke, Arizona, and Kentcky.
O 14 and D 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky