Kenpom adjusted offensive and defensive metrics | The Boneyard

Kenpom adjusted offensive and defensive metrics

Reaction Score

Do these still have some residual from last season or are these statistics all from this season's games?

The offense looks great this year. The eye test tells me the defense looks to be not as good as last year so far. So I looked it up and Huskies are #2 in Adjusted Offense, which makes sense to me. Adjusted Defense is #10. So are they really that good on defense or are last season's stats still part of these stats?

Not really worried about the defense even if it's not as good as last year just yet. If there's one thing I'm most confident about with Hurley, it's improving the defense.

Reaction Score
Don't quote me on this but I remember reading a few years ago that Kenpom steadily weans off last season's stats until late December, which is when it is fully functioning with current year stats.

Reaction Score

Do these still have some residual from last season or are these statistics all from this season's games?

The offense looks great this year. The eye test tells me the defense looks to be not as good as last year so far. So I looked it up and Huskies are #2 in Adjusted Offense, which makes sense to me. Adjusted Defense is #10. So are they really that good on defense or are last season's stats still part of these stats?

Not really worried about the defense even if it's not as good as last year just yet. If there's one thing I'm most confident about with Hurley, it's improving the defense.
Don't quote me on this but I remember reading a few years ago that Kenpom steadily weans off last season's stats until late December, which is when it is fully functioning with current year stats.
Yes, but it's mid to end of January when it's all gone. From interviews and blog posts, I'd estimate about half of the rating right now is from the pre-season (5-8 games worth of weight, something like that). Given that our pre-season rank was 4th and we're 3rd now and the teams above us have improved, it's fair to say that our play has been above the pre-season rating and that it's actually pulling is down to the mean, not the other way around. But the same is true for all of the top teams, as the pre-season ratings are a bit conservative on the extremes (high and low ranks).

Reaction Score

IIRC we were either 6-8 for Adj D coming into the Texas game, so we did drop a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom