OT- Kemba Kyrie? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT- Kemba Kyrie?

Reaction Score
Warriors are better/harder to beat with Durant.

They are more fun to watch without him.

Except the Clippers beat them twice and the Rockets beat them twice with Durant playing AND the Warriors own the best regular season record without Durant playing but besides that you're right.

Reaction Score
They are not better without him you can’t seriously believe that
They play better as a team without him. It's not that crazy, the Warriors won a title without him, had the best NBA record ever without him, and would have won a second title without him had Draymond not gotten suspended and players not getting injured.

I wouldn't say they are better without him but they move the ball better without him and even though Durant is a better player than Steph, Curry is way more important to them than Durant.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Except the Clippers beat them twice and the Rockets beat them twice with Durant playing AND the Warriors own the best regular season record without Durant playing but besides that you're right.

And that team lost to a vastly inferior Cavs team. One that they steamrolled twice with Durant.

Before Durant this core lost that series. Lost a series to the spurs (pre-title) where it blew like 2 separate 20 point leads.

It also had, allegedly a historically easy path in 2015 and 16. The Chris Paul trade was a major change that only happened post Durant.

A lot of factors when you’re using such a small sample size.

Reaction Score
I think the semantics of this argument matter. I don't think anyone, even the Kemba supporters argue that Kemba's talent is superior to Kyrie's. The argument essentially (esp since they are both free agents) is which guy will generate better team performance next year. Most teams would pick Kyrie, but of course it depends on salaries and the surrounding pieces. Teams needing a PG could be better off with Kemba, teams needing star power or #1 scoring options better off with Kyrie.

I do think Kyrie proved this year that he currently is a #2 guy on a championship level team, not a #1 (maybe he changes, wouldn't bet on it though). Meanwhile, Kemba has barely scratched the playoffs as #1 guy on a bad team, so there's almost no debate that he is a complimentary piece. Can Kemba be the #2 on a championship team? Maybe, Kyrie definitely.

Reaction Score
Kyrie isn't going to be happy no matter where he plays and that screws up chemistry. Is he more talented than Kemba? Absolutely. Given the choice I'd take Kemba and his enthusiasm over a sulking Kyrie.

Reaction Score
73 win season without him
4-0 in playoffs without him
7-3 in playoffs with him

I'm just looking at numbers here.
They had a muchhhhhh better bench than they do now its not even close.

Reaction Score
Who really cares what any of us think. Most of us barely even watch the NBA. The growing sentiment from smart NBA writers is that Kemba has caught up but Kyrie is probably still a little better, culture killing aside. This was a popular debate point on the NBA podcast circuit in November/December before Kemba faded a little.

Reaction Score
Option #2. He will still be remembered as the greatest Hornet of all time if he leaves this summer.
Love Kemba but greatest Hornet of all time? Not sure. Larry Johnson, Glen Rice and Alonzo Mourning could challenge for that title. At the very least those 4 are on a Charlotte Hornets Mt. Rushmore. Hornets haven't had a heck of a lot of great players IMO. (You could make an argument for Dell Curry replacing one of those).

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
What does the draft pick have to do with it?

I thought Irving was a free agent.
He means if the Knicks only get Kyrie and their 3rd pick this year, that’s not enough. Basically saying Kyrie can’t lead a team on his own with young kids.

Reaction Score
Why is everything in free agency always linked to Kyrie Irving? You hear it over and over, if the Knicks get Kyrie they also get Durant. If the Knicks get Kyrie they get Durant and Davis. Why does all this stuff always revolve around Kyrie and never a peep about Kemba?

Kemba is almost 2 years older but Is Kyrie that much better than Kemba? I see two comparable players at this point, one of which is a great teammate and the other shows signs of being a headcase.
Id take Kemba. Kyrie isn't a guy who's going to lead anyone anywhere.

Reaction Score
Love Kemba but greatest Hornet of all time? Not sure. Larry Johnson, Glen Rice and Alonzo Mourning could challenge for that title. At the very least those 4 are on a Charlotte Hornets Mt. Rushmore. Hornets haven't had a heck of a lot of great players IMO. (You could make an argument for Dell Curry replacing one of those).
Well, none of the top 50 greatest Celtics ever would even allow Kyrie to Sherpa water on a trek up Celtics Rushmore.

Reaction Score
Kyrie is straight up a glorified version of Kemba because of one shot. He shoots a tad better but is arguably not as good of a scorer. All bias aside they are pretty equal imo.

Reaction Score
Kyrie is straight up a glorified version of Kemba because of one shot. He shoots a tad better but is arguably not as good of a scorer. All bias aside they are pretty equal imo.
Kyrie is a little bigger. Which matters in the playoffs

Reaction Score
Would only want Kyrie on the Knicks if KD is there, would rather sign no one then get Kyrie by himself, would prefer Kemba over Kyrie, would take Kemba by himself.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score

Besides Curry those players you named have spent no more than 5 seasons on the Hornets maybe? Kemba all time points leader and 3rd most games played. So yes, Kemba is the top Hornet of all time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And that team lost to a vastly inferior Cavs team. One that they steamrolled twice with Durant.

Before Durant this core lost that series. Lost a series to the spurs (pre-title) where it blew like 2 separate 20 point leads.

It also had, allegedly a historically easy path in 2015 and 16. The Chris Paul trade was a major change that only happened post Durant.

A lot of factors when you’re using such a small sample size.

GS was the best team in the league for two years in a row when Durant was still in OKC. I think it’s crazy to say that they are better without him, but their team identity was better. Just as Boston’s was better without Kyrie.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who really cares what any of us think. Most of us barely even watch the NBA. The growing sentiment from smart NBA writers is that Kemba has caught up but Kyrie is probably still a little better, culture killing aside. This was a popular debate point on the NBA podcast circuit in November/December before Kemba faded a little.

I think Kylie probably has more talent. That said, looking at a team like the Celtics, with young guys who are growing and learning, Kemba would be the better fit. He plays with a smile like Magic, he lifts the people around him. He’s actually ideal on a team with lots of good players. Kyrie needs a different situation.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
GS was the best team in the league for two years in a row when Durant was still in OKC. I think it’s crazy to say that they are better without him, but their team identity was better. Just as Boston’s was better without Kyrie.

Golden state also went 6 games against the Cavs without love and Kyrie in 2015.

If Iman shumpert hits that 3 at the end of regulation in game 1, then Kyrie doesn’t get hurt in OT...and there’s no question about KD here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom