Kemba: Eastern Conference Player of the Week | The Boneyard

Kemba: Eastern Conference Player of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember the exact first time I saw film of Kemba. It was right after he committed and the BY was chatting about him. Frankly, I'm crap for scouting talent. Never really followed HS players. Just waited for arrival at Storrs. But the clip of Kemba in some sort of informal all star game inspired me. The kid was non-stop and played D just as hard as O. That's when I said to myself - that's a UConn player, can't wait til he gets here. 3 years later and the kid I saw playing every play like it was his last in HS didn't break stride - not even one damn time - in his time with us. Love every other player who came through Storrs, and I give a nod out to Donny Marshall, but no other player ever kept the accelerator floored like Kemba from day one to day finito. Literally made 2011 a great year all by his lonesome. Thanks man.

Reaction Score
I remember the exact first time I saw film of Kemba. It was right after he committed and the BY was chatting about him. Frankly, I'm crap for scouting talent. Never really followed HS players. Just waited for arrival at Storrs. But the clip of Kemba in some sort of informal all star game inspired me. The kid was non-stop and played D just as hard as O. That's when I said to myself - that's a UConn player, can't wait til he gets here. 3 years later and the kid I saw playing every play like it was his last in HS didn't break stride - not even one damn time - in his time with us. Love every other player who came through Storrs, and I give a nod out to Donny Marshall, but no other player ever kept the accelerator floored like Kemba from day one to day finito. Literally made 2011 a great year all by his lonesome. Thanks man.
Best end-to-end transition play in UConn history?

Reaction Score
Kemba is easily my favorite husky. Even went out of my way to draft him early in my fantasy league and he making me look like a genius. I said once I drafted him there is no way I can trade him because of the magic he carries with himself. Hope he gets a ring before he retires.

Reaction Score
Kemba is easily my favorite husky. Even went out of my way to draft him early in my fantasy league and he making me look like a genius. I said once I drafted him there is no way I can trade him because of the magic he carries with himself. Hope he gets a ring before he retires.

I agree, I traded for him last year (roster got demolished with injuries and had to swap the best I had for 2 guys), and he performed like a beast in the 2nd half of the year. This year's draft, he fell to me as best available, and I picked CP3 first, so I considered grabbing a big, but I cant say no to Kemba. I'm out of state now, so in my work fantasy league, I'm "the UConn guy" so everyone made fun of me, but now they just hope Charlotte only plays 2 games in the week I face them.

This week is gonna be tough with only 2 games for him, so I hope he can get over the 30pt mark both times.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
In September of Kemba's freshman year, before I had a chance to see him play, I was having a new large screen TV installed. The installers were two guys from the Bronx, one of whom followed Bronx and NYC high school bball.

When I mentioned that UConn Hoops was a major reason for getting the new TV, he said, "Oooooh. You're gonna like Kemba Walker." Man was he right.

Reaction Score
I remember we lost out on Brandon Jennings to Arizona and had to settle with Kemba Walker as a consolation prize. After watching him dunk on Jrue Holiday in the McD AA game I knew he'd be a great player for us, but never did I expect him to blow up the way he did his junior season. You could feel that that year was going to be special even after the 1st game of the season when Kemba carried us to a win over Whichita State

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Sometimes when a kid is an underclassmen he has a stellar game where he shows poise, leadership, unwillingness to accept defeat, and unbelievable skill. Kemba had a great freshmen season and was on track to be a great point guard for us. But when he took over that Missouri Elite Eight game, I knew he was going to be one of the best.

EDIT: Shabazz's game vs. WVU in the Big East Tournament 2012 also sparked the same thought.

2-2.

Reaction Score
Sometimes when a kid is an underclassmen he has a stellar game where he shows poise, leadership, unwillingness to accept defeat, and unbelievable skill. Kemba had a great freshmen season and was on track to be a great point guard for us. But when he took over that Missouri Elite Eight game, I knew he was going to be one of the best.

EDIT: Shabazz's game vs. WVU in the Big East Tournament 2012 also sparked the same thought.

2-2.
I hear what you're saying, and to me Shabazz was showing signs even as a freshman in that run that he would be something special. Had the poise and confidence of a grown man. With these types of players the one question you have is will their clearly big ego be able to be reeled in and act as the leader by example to set the tone for a younger team, or will they get too high on themselves in a way and cause the team to implode. We've been massively lucky in that these guys have put the team first. So many coaches preach that "its not about the name on the back of the jersey" thing, but our guys seem to live that year after year, here's to hoping Ollie can continue to find these types of kids to wear the blue and white

Reaction Score
I remember being upset at losing Brandon Jennings in recruiting as he was the best pg coming out of high school. I didn't realize that Kemba would be so much better later on and one of my fave Huskies of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom