Kelsey Plum on reading the ESPN comments section about herself | The Boneyard

Kelsey Plum on reading the ESPN comments section about herself

Reaction Score
No. 1 Pick Kelsey Plum Talks Sexism, Launching T-Shirts & Beating Markelle Fultz

I tell people, I don't play women's basketball, I play basketball. Putting the "women's" next to it shouldn't be an asterisk, like it's "less than." I have been given a little bit of a spotlight, and I hope to show that we can keep moving forward in convincing people that women are just as capable as men.

We'll think we're getting there because one thing changes, but then we're actually further behind. Like, when ESPN posted something about my breaking the scoring record, I remember reading the comments section—which I know you should never do—but it was all like, "Why isn't she in the kitchen?" Or sexual comments. Or like, "It's women's basketball, of course she can break the record." People's perspectives need to be challenged, and if I'm able to help change people's idea of what it means to be a female and play basketball, then, shoot, I want to by all means.

Like, you have to fight so hard to just get your foot in the door while so-and-so over there is just eating cheeseburgers and he's already in the room, just because. Like, why? We could go on about this all day, but basically I always try to ask questions and push and push. What's the worst they're gonna say? "No?"

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I like she said I just play basketball. One thing Pat said when asked about coaching women's basketball. Don't worry about teaching women's basketball, just coach basketball.

Reaction Score
upload_2017-5-12_20-10-25.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sorta OT, but bummer she's out w/ an ankle sprain to start her WNBA career. Never missed a game in 4 years at UW, including close to 1/2 of her soph year w/ a bum knee. Doctors said it wouldn't get worse if she continued to play, so she toughed it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom