Kelsey Plum Early Season Report Card (of sorts) | The Boneyard

Kelsey Plum Early Season Report Card (of sorts)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Storm head to San Antonio, where Kelsey Plum has struggled to adjust to WNBA play

“It’s like going hunting and you’re a deer, but you’re a glow-in-the-dark deer and everyone else is just a deer."

In college, every single play was ran for me,” Plum said. “And I was super aggressive. I was always attacking. In this case, I’m a point guard. I’m running the offense and getting my team involved. It’s just a different role."

“To be able to play against Sue Bird tomorrow night is one of the coolest things that can happen for me,” Plum said.

Reaction Score
...The Stars will play three guards...

Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic: You have the number one pick and the "NCAA WCBB"all time leading scorer is on the table do you draft her or do you pass and get the center that you need?

I've been patiently watching and waiting to see how this pans out. I really think that the Stars should have had a good draft+trade deal worked out before draft day.

I have a sneaky feeling that someone (Jefferson or Plum) may not be starting by the middle of the season.

Now what is really crazy to me is that I believe the Stars have the number one pick next year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I really hope some of her struggles are related to the ankle injury. I wasn't exactly expecting her to set the league on fire, but didn't think she would start so slowly. Still really early, hopefully she'll get it going at some point this season.

Even if it's a worst case scenario and she ends up being a flop, I'll always be a big fan and appreciate the fantastic college career she had.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In college Kelsey had a team dedicated to feeding her as she acknowledges in the article. She's strong, but many people guarding her will be quicker. Now she's being asked to play a different game at a higher level and her ankle still bothers her.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I haven't seen them play but based on her comments... Why is Kelsey Plum playing PG? She's a shooter. Jefferson should be PG.
I agree. Harrison is good but could use a little help inside. Plum I think will be a good player. I just think it just will take a little time.

Reaction Score
Much like James Harden (rockets) can't play with a real point guard, the same could be said for Plum, she's use to having the ball in her hands and her game will need some adjusting if she's going to play off the ball, in the end I think her or Jefferson will be traded.

Reaction Score
Much like James Harden (rockets) can't play with a real point guard, the same could be said for Plum, she's use to having the ball in her hands and her game will need some adjusting if she's going to play off the ball, in the end I think her or Jefferson will be traded.
I believe that every team in the league would line up for a chance to get once in a lifetime guard MJ.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic: You have the number one pick and the "NCAA WCBB"all time leading scorer is on the table do you draft her or do you pass and get the center that you need?

It looks like they made the right choice. It was a guard-heavy draft class this year. Next year it is a post-heavy draft class. They can get a quality post player whether or not they make the playoffs (which isn't looking good now).

What's the report card for this year's post players?
#2 Coates: Looks like an WNBA-ready player but she hasn't played this year because of injury.
#3 Akhator: Doesn't look WNBA-ready and has played very little supposedly because of injury. Thorn stepping up means Akhator doesn't need to be rushed back.
#5 Coffey: Played post in college but is built like a SF (think Maya).
#8 Brionna Jones: Gets sparse minutes not related to injury.
#17 McCall: Gets sparse minutes not related to injury.
#21 Osahor: Disappeared off the face of the planet.

Who was this difference-making post player that San Antonio should have drafted instead of Plum?

Could San Antonio have traded the #1 pick for a difference-making veteran post player? Possibly, but not likely. Most well-run teams aren't likely to trade their difference-making vet post players for a player who may be the #1 pick but hasn't proven anything at the WNBA level and represents a gamble regardless of her college accolades.

I've been patiently watching and waiting to see how this pans out. I really think that the Stars should have had a good draft+trade deal worked out before draft day.

It was rumored San Antonio were offered #3 & #10 from Dallas. In hindsight it's looking like San Antonio should have taken that deal, although it's still early. It's also rumored that Washington offered #6 and their first round pick in 2018. Personally being very high on the 2018 draft, I would have jumped on that deal, but I understand why they didn't. San Antonio wanted to make a splash this year. Ruth Riley only gave the new coach Vickie Johnson a one year deal. It would appear Johnson needs to make a good impression in that one year. Would it be fair for Ruth Riley to not draft and keep the best perceived player available to put Johnson in a position to win this year instead of making a trade that had a better long term outlook?

I have a sneaky feeling that someone (Jefferson or Plum) may not be starting by the middle of the season.

That's happening now. When Jefferson has started, Plum hasn't been starting. Now that Plum is starting, Jefferson hasn't been starting. Supposedly Plum is healthier than Jefferson now and that's she's starting.

Bottom line, guard depth is important. Look at Minnesota and Los Angeles. If fans, players, and agents can't set aside egos and do what's best for team success, that team's not going to suceed. Plum should be a backup unless proven otherwise. She's not entitled to anything just because she was the #1 pick.

Now what is really crazy to me is that I believe the Stars have the number one pick next year.

They could have the #1 pick. They probably deserve it since Seattle kinda swiped the juicy #1 pick in 2016 from them. Wilson is the easy #1 choice for me at this point. She'll help any team.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This wasn't a good draft for post players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom