Kelsey Plum breaks all-time Pac-12 scoring record | The Boneyard

Kelsey Plum breaks all-time Pac-12 scoring record

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue likes Kelsey. At 29.7 ppg, Kelsey leads the nation. She was efficient today: 15-26 overall, 5-12 from the arc, and 9-9 from the line. Kelsey also had 9 boards, 4 assists, 5 steals, and 1 block.

Jackie Stiles's career record is 3,397 points. Kelsey has 2,759 I believe. The Huskies are 11-1. If they play 35 games and she averages 30 ppg, she will add 690 points to her total. That would get her to 3,449. If she stays healthy, Kelsey seems like a lock to pass Griner's 3,283. What's the over/under for Kelsey? I'm guessing about 3,397, depending on how far the team's season goes.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sue likes Kelsey. At 29.7 ppg, Kelsey leads the nation. She was efficient today: 15-26 overall, 5-12 from the arc, and 9-9 from the line. Kelsey also had 9 boards, 4 assists, 5 steals, and 1 block.

Jackie Stiles's career record is 3,397 points. Kelsey has 2,759 I believe. The Huskies are 11-1. If they play 35 games and she averages 30 ppg, she will add 690 points to her total. That would get her to 3,449. If she stays healthy, Kelsey seems like a lock to pass Griner's 3,283. What's the over/under for Kelsey? I'm guessing about 3,397, depending on how far the team's season goes.

It will be difficult for her to maintain her current pace of 30 ppg, IMO, because UW's Pac-12 schedule is a lot tougher than its OOC schedule. Last year as of Christmas Day she led the country in scoring at 27.6 ppg, but she finished the season 4th at 25.9 ppg. If my math is correct, and assuming that UW still has 24 games left (and this will depend on results in the conference and NCAA tournaments), Plum would need to average 26.6 ppg to overtake Jackie Stiles. Very possible but it'll be close.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I would expect they will add about of 7 post season games to their regular season schedule so 35 games should be about right. If this was a few years ago and the Pac12 was Stanford and some chopped liver, I would say she had a chance to break the record, but I think it will be difficult to maintain 30 ppg in conference play and post season.

What is impressing me so far is that she is scoring as efficiently as she is - she was around 5th on the list of D1 players that was posted in another thread - to be that efficient and prolific is pretty rare.

Reaction Score
I like her game and would much rather see her alongside Moriah or Stewie than a few potential others, if they choose to leave school early. Having said that I see her as the same liability that Kelsey Mitchell is for Ohio. Stop her and you've stopped their offense.

Reaction Score
20 regular season games left plus 2 or 3 likely in conf tournament plus 3 if they make it to sweet 16 (and lose). Call that 25 or 26. At 25 she needs to average 25.6, a coin flip IMO. At 26 she needs to average 24.6. If she stays healthy I like her chances of doing that.

It will probably come down to how deep they go in tournaments but at even money I would bet on Kelsey.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
20 regular season games left plus 2 or 3 likely in conf tournament plus 3 if they make it to sweet 16 (and lose). Call that 25 or 26. At 25 she needs to average 25.6, a coin flip IMO. At 26 she needs to average 24.6. If she stays healthy I like her chances of doing that.

It will probably come down to how deep they go in tournaments but at even money I would bet on Kelsey.
She has the ball in her hands a lot, so she can create her shot. She can't afford a minor injury or a shooting slump, but I think it will be close.

Reaction Score

Btw I was not trying to be cute by using first name only. Could be interpreted as "Plum or Mitchell". But I was only referring to Plum. That said we may well have the same discussion all over again next year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I like her game and would much rather see her alongside Moriah or Stewie than a few potential others, if they choose to leave school early. Having said that I see her as the same liability that Kelsey Mitchell is for Ohio. Stop her and you've stopped their offense.
To a degree. I would argue that Washington's offense is more sophisticated that Ohio State's. So at the least, she may be harder to stop.

I'm too lazy to check the connections, but did Kevin Mc. recruit Plum when he was still at Washington or did she come after he headed to Ohio State? Because we miss a lot of games at Arizona I only saw Kevin coach Washington once, in fact we talked to him briefly after he did a radio interview, referencing the BE connection.

Reaction Score
To a degree. I would argue that Washington's offense is more sophisticated that Ohio State's. So at the least, she may be harder to stop.

I'm too lazy to check the connections, but did Kevin Mc. recruit Plum when he was still at Washington or did she come after he headed to Ohio State? Because we miss a lot of games at Arizona I only saw Kevin coach Washington once, in fact we talked to him briefly after he did a radio interview, referencing the BE connection.
Didn't Neighbors and Plum develop a strong recruiting relationship while he was still an assistant at WA? Then he got promoted and his first year as HC was her freshman year...?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Didn't Neighbors and Plum develop a strong recruiting relationship while he was still an assistant at WA? Then he got promoted and his first year as HC was her freshman year...?

Yes. The broadcasters have told the story numerous times about how they texted each other soon after McGuff left, both of them knowing that Plum had the option of reopening her recruiting, and Plum told Neighbors, "You stay I stay."

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

McGuff recruited Plum to UW. When he left for tOSU Plum told Neighbors if you stay I stay, if you go I go( or something similar to that.)
UW has played short handed so much over her career, that she really cant get much rest. But she is a bulldog that lasts all day, even under pressure.
By the way, in UW's last game the big girl, Oshahor(Ekmarks HS teammate) got hit in the head, I think with the ball, and didnt finish the game. Hopefully it is minor and she returns soon.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
McGuff recruited Plum to UW. When he left for tOSU Plum told Neighbors if you stay I stay, if you go I go( or something similar to that.)
UW has played short handed so much over her career, that she really cant get much rest. But she is a bulldog that lasts all day, even under pressure.
By the way, in UW's last game the big girl, Oshahor(Ekmarks HS teammate) got hit in the head, I think with the ball, and didnt finish the game. Hopefully it is minor and she returns soon.
It was not the ball that hit her. Also, I saw Sue Bird in the stands with another former great player.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum will likely be a high draft pic in the WNBA. I would like to see her at Seattle if for nothing else than fan support. She is known in the area. However I think Seattle is looking for a post player. Should be an interesting draft.

Reaction Score
Previous record holder was Chiney Ogwumike.

Plum had 44 points (to go with 9 rebounds, 5 steals, and 4 assists) against previously undefeated Boise State.

Kelsey Plum becomes Pac-12 all-time leading scorer

Congrats to Kelsey on her achievement. She's a very good player and she could be special at the next level. I like her game as she doesn't get flustered or anything. Once again, congrats to Kelsy Plum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom