Kelsey Mitchell BTN Player of the Year | The Boneyard

Kelsey Mitchell BTN Player of the Year

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...df/2016-17/misc_non_event/2017All-B1GTeam.pdf

Freshmen of the Year: Destiny Slocum
Coach of the Year: Kim Barnes Arico Michigan
Thanks for posting. Didn't see many surprises. Interesting that Mavunga only made 2nd team, but surely that's because of all the games she missed. My only notable omission is Gadiva Hubbard (Minnesota's 3rd-leading scorer) from the all-freshman team. But I can't say that any of those freshmen named are undeserving.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't follow many of the BTN teams. Just thought there must have been a player who played more games and had an average better then 8 points a game. Not really a knock on Linnae as she is a good player and coaches must think so. Just wondering if there was a player coming off the bench with better stats. Is it a case she plays for OSU and that was enough?

Did you have a different player in mind?

Reaction Score
Don't follow many of the BTN teams. Just thought there must have been a player who played more games and had an average better then 8 points a game. Not really a knock on Linnae as she is a good player and coaches must think so. Just wondering if there was a player coming off the bench with better stats. Is it a case she plays for OSU and that was enough?

Harper's forte is defense(rebounds & steals).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
According the official AAC website, TODAY is the last day of the regular season for AAC women's basketball. I guess we can expect to see their release of the All conference selections in a day or two.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, I'm glad to see no one is going crazy about Mitchell's game. Served Ohio so well. Yeah, yeah, tied #1 regular season in the down B10. I know it is said Geno likes their coach, I don't. He's just not good or strong enough.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, I'm glad to see no one is going crazy about Mitchell's game. Served Ohio so well. Yeah, yeah, tied #1 regular season in the down B10. I know it is said Geno likes their coach, I don't. He's just not good or strong enough.

I agree with the assessment of McGuff but I think Mitchell is very good and talented. In their run and gun system, she is their engine and it is undeniable that she will make a good pro. Of course, against UConn and intelligent and high intensity defensive schemes, she looked like a school yard chucker but what could she do if know one else is helping and they don't run real sets. She is not averse to passing but if no one can do anything with the pass, desperation sets in.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree with the assessment of McGuff but I think Mitchell is very good and talented. In their run and gun system, she is their engine and it is undeniable that she will make a good pro. Of course, against UConn and intelligent and high intensity defensive schemes, she looked like a school yard chucker but what could she do if know one else is helping and they don't run real sets. She is not averse to passing but if no one can do anything with the pass, desperation sets in.

That's one point of view. Trouble I have: Is he that stupid or is she that intractable/coachable. Ohio has put plenty of talent on the floor.

Reaction Score
That's one point of view. Trouble I have: Is he that stupid or is she that intractable/coachable. Ohio has put plenty of talent on the floor.

I've watched Kelsey Mitchell a couple of times a year since she was a freshman in high school. Her mentality hasn't changed. She throws up a lot of shots and sometimes they go in. Not very interesting basketball to me.

You guys have pretty much nailed it with McGuff. Either he can't coach, or his players aren't coachable. Sometimes it looks like maybe OSU has turned a corner, as in the recent win over Maryland, but they always revert to form. They kind of share the ball, but it's more like taking turns going one-on-one.

Will Mitchell make a good pro? I wouldn't want her, because if she hasn't learned how to meld her skills into something that will help a team win by now, I don't see it ever happening.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I've watched Kelsey Mitchell a couple of times a year since she was a freshman in high school. Her mentality hasn't changed. She throws up a lot of shots and sometimes they go in. Not very interesting basketball to me.

You guys have pretty much nailed it with McGuff. Either he can't coach, or his players aren't coachable. Sometimes it looks like maybe OSU has turned a corner, as in the recent win over Maryland, but they always revert to form. They kind of share the ball, but it's more like taking turns going one-on-one.

Will Mitchell make a good pro? I wouldn't want her, because if she hasn't learned how to meld her skills into something that will help a team win by now, I don't see it ever happening.

Maybe I am naive, but I think if a coach knows what he/she is doing, can express their concepts in simple terms, is always fair and honest, then most players will buy in. Yes, many of today's players may be more "me" than "team" and want minutes given to them but if you show players a better way, I think most would adapt.

So unless I am proven wrong, when a player plays mostly 1-1 street ball, I will put the blame on the coaching.

Reaction Score

I never loved Mitchell's game but I thought she played a great all around game against Maryland.........she shot really well from inside and out...........more then 50% from the floor and had at least 6 assists................that said, should she be national player of the year? No way.................

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Linnae was in the running for DPOY in the B1G, her contribution is more than just points, she usually draws the assignment on the opposing teams top non-post player. She is content not getting a lot of touches on offense, with the other talent that they have.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Freshmen of the Year: Destiny Slocum
Coach of the Year: Kim Barnes Arico Michigan

12 first team players?! 8 2nd team players?! 20 all-league players? Have the soccer moms taken over WCB? Why not have 12 or so all-league teams so everyone can be all-league? Maybe there should be 10-12 players starting every game so they can say they are starters? Let's have an all-league participation trophy for everyone. A 1st and a 2nd team of 5 players each is sufficient. Skip honorable mention as well. The meaning and feeling of accomplishment is lost if so many are named. Where is the incentive to strive to be better if so many can be all-league? Set the bar high and the rewards higher.

Sorry! It is a pet peeve still lingering from my business management life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom