Kelly the commentator | The Boneyard

Kelly the commentator

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Was watching all the stuff I could find on the team today and came across an interview or two with Kelly on SNY. She is so amazingly articulate and smart...I love to listen to the things she says and the ways she says them. I think she will be a great commentator on BB some day, and a strong coach...after she finishes her pro-career. She is really good, and doesn't speak in cliches, as so many players do. Kudos!

Reaction Score
I've been impressed too. I love listening to what she has to say.

Reaction Score
Extremely articulate, poised, and wonderful to see and listen to - something worth saying and the ability to communicate those thoughts! :)

Her speaking achievements are substantial accomplishments in light of her more silent (shy) "Omnu" days (remember the nickname given to her by Kalana Greene?). I'm sure many of us can appreciate how hard that leap is to make. Congrats to you Kelly!!!

Reaction Score
She is/was shy, but she was always intelligent. poised, and articulate when dealing with media questions even in high school. That's part of what made me describe her as the perfect UConn player before she even played a minute at UConn. There's a difference between the desire to speak and the ability to speak. Kelly always had the ability to speak and her desire to speak to her teammates as a leader has changed, but her speaking to the media really hasn't changed much. Ask a question and get a great answer. The press conferences Maya and Kelly would do together were usually exceptional.

Omnu wasn't really born out of a comment on her shyness or because she wasn't articulate. It was born out of a national championship banquet and Kelly as the only new freshman having to constantly introduce herself to people in the mixer.

Sorry if this is nitpicking. Kelly has been my favorite player since the first time I saw her play in high school, and as someone that majored in history I'm especially sensitive to the myth making that happens to Kelly. People naturally want to fit her into a traditional narrative, and I feel an urge to protect the real story. No, Kelly wasn't a recruit that no one wanted and Geno found it out of no where. Kelly was nationally ranked as a recruit in both basketball and volleyball even when she was a freshman in high school. No, she wasn't a low ranked recruit. Multiple recruiting services had her in their top ten. No, she's not just a product of hard work and hustle. Kelly is an athlete with an elite combination of strength, speed, quickness, and jumping ability. I find the true story even better than the myth in part because the true story is completely unique.

Extremely articulate, poised, and wonderful to see and listen to - something worth saying and the ability to communicate those thoughts! :)

Her speaking achievements are substantial accomplishments in light of her more silent (shy) "Omnu" days (remember the nickname given to her by Kalana Greene?). I'm sure many of us can appreciate how hard that leap is to make. Congrats to you Kelly!!!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Great post Scatter. It's too bad more people don't understand and appreciate Kelly as much as you do.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm not sure of Kelly's rankings in HS but I do recall there was a time when Kelly and her father both said publicly that the schools that inquired about Kelly later in the process were "too late." UConn was certainly among those schools. Fortunately, Kelly remained open to being recruited by UConn and the rest is history.

Here's a link to the story (Purdue site) I recall reading on Kelly.

http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=689996

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I'm not sure of Kelly's rankings in HS but I do recall there was a time when Kelly and her father both said publicly that the schools that inquired about Kelly later in the process were "too late." UConn was certainly among those schools. Fortunately, Kelly remained open to being recruited by UConn and the rest is history.

Here's a link to the story (Purdue site) I recall reading on Kelly.

http://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=689996

Just read that article. Too bad UConn jumped in so late. No way that kid is coming to Connecticut.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom