Katz: ACC BB coaches want 16 team league | The Boneyard

Katz: ACC BB coaches want 16 team league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ant-league-expand-16-teams-college-basketball Apparently most if not all ACC coaches are strongly in favor of a 16 team league over 14. The team that they focus on adding is ND, but only in an equal revenue-sharing model. Sounds a bit like they're sticking to talking points on that one. Only other school mentioned in the article is us, again stating that we're not team 15, but team 16 with ND. Posturing for ND? Could be. Also could just be the coaches pining for what would make for a far easier set up for them.

Reaction Score
Why is 16 better for the bball coaches? In an 8/8 they could play 22 conference games. In a 7/7 it would be 19. Seems to me that 14 is better so they can schedule ooc and get the cupcakes in too. Seems to me that 14 is harder on FB.

Reaction Score
In a 16 team setup Duke would play the 7 teams in their division 2 times and 4 teams in the other division once each year for a total of 18 games.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Why is 16 better for the bball coaches? In an 8/8 they could play 22 conference games. In a 7/7 it would be 19. Seems to me that 14 is better so they can schedule ooc and get the cupcakes in too. Seems to me that 14 is harder on FB.

In a 16 team conference, you would have 4 divisions of 4 teams each. You would play the other 3 teams in your division in a home-and-home series every year, while you would play the other 12 teams in the conference once per year....for a total of 18 conference games. And this would preserve the natural rivalries (Duke/UNC, UConn/Syracuse, etc) in playing a true home-and-home EVERY year. That is why the basketball schools love the idea.

Yankee Division
UConn
Syracuse
Boston College
Notre Dame

Tarheel Division
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest

Sunshine Division
Miami
FSU
Clemson
Georgia Tech

Beltway Division
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh
Maryland

Perfectly setup geographically.

For football, you have two divisions, as the Beltway/Yankee Divisions merge for the Union Division and the Tarheel/Sunshine Divisions merge for the Confederate Division.:)

Reaction Score
In a 16 team conference, you would have 4 divisions of 4 teams each. You would play the other 3 teams in your division in a home-and-home series every year, while you would play the other 12 teams in the conference once per year....for a total of 18 conference games. And this would preserve the natural rivalries (Duke/UNC, UConn/Syracuse, etc) in playing a true home-and-home EVERY year. That is why the basketball schools love the idea.
Where do you get this? Coach K has outwardly assaulted the pod system, and I don't remember any other coaches talking about it specifically.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Where do you get this? Coach K has outwardly assaulted the pod system, and I don't remember any other coaches talking about it specifically.

You wouldn't seet the divisions on the officials standings. It would be for scheduling only...but it serves the same purpose. You have heard the coaches say they want to get back to their home-and-home games with their close rivals. How else are you going to do that with a 16 team conference? You have 3 'rivals' that you play twice each year, and then play everyone else once. So while the above divisions will not be 'official', that is basically what you will have.

Reaction Score
Why even have divisions for hoops? Why not play the 15 other schools in the conference once, then decide who your 3 return (rival) teams are. That's assuming you just want to have 18 conference games.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Why even have divisions for hoops? Why not play the 15 other schools in the conference once, then decide who your 3 return (rival) teams are. That's assuming you just want to have 18 conference games.

That is essentially what I said. The 'divisions' are informal and will not actually be shown by the conference or used for standings for basketball. But they will be 'divisions' nonetheless.

They could actual use these 'divisions' in a formal way for other sports where they can't actually play everyone in the league within a given season. These division formats would work well for baseball, soccer, field hockey, etc. So for instance, in baseball you could have the top 2 teams from each division make the conference tournament (maybe throw in 2 wildcards or something) and play the post season that way using the division standings for seeding.

Reaction Score
I dont have the link ( will post it / them when I find them ). They want north / south divisions. With 14 Miami shifts to north, with 16 they stay in south, north would be cuse, pitt, bc, uv, md, vt, and 2 of nd, rt, and uconn.

Reaction Score

because unc and duke want to play twice during regular season. ESPN wants this also.

Reaction Score
because unc and duke want to play twice during regular season. ESPN wants this also.
Right. That's where my '3 return games' come into play, but you still don't need divisions for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I dont have the link ( will post it / them when I find them ). They want north / south divisions. With 14 Miami shifts to north, with 16 they stay in south, north would be cuse, pitt, bc, uv, md, vt, and 2 of nd, rt, and uconn.

Is the ACC that geographically challenged that adding 2 northern schools causes Miami to be in the northern division? Then adding 2 more will move them back south? Talk about realignment!

http://billsportsmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ncaa-bk_acc_r.gif

Reaction Score
got it

Right. That's where my '3 return games' come into play, but you still don't need divisions for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom