Kathryn Westbeld a package deal? | The Boneyard

Kathryn Westbeld a package deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kathryn Westbeld is a 2014 prospect thought to be coveted by UCONN. She is high school teammate with Makayla Waterman, a 6-2 bookend with Westbeld.

ESPN sez:

"Westbeld, who in August moved one block away from Waterman, said she has made unofficial visits to Ohio State, Connecticut, Michigan State, Dayton, Xavier, Notre Dame and Florida.

Most of those trips were made with Waterman."

"It's rare to find two girls who have played together since the third grade -- we have crazy chemistry," Westbeld said. "Staying together is definitely a possibility, but we have to make the best pick for ourselves first. If that happens to be the same [college], that would be awesome."

Link

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=9210363&brand=espnw

I was aware of the interest in Westbeld, but does anyone know whether UCONN has expressed interest in Waterman?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Any suggestion by Ms. Westbeld to Geno about some package deal will be DOA.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
We discussed this in the Ohio State recruiting thread. A package deal would
be beneficial to McGuff and OSU!

However the article also said that they all 3 could end up going to separate
Schools.

Reaction Score
Of all the recruits we're looking at I think Westbeld is the most important for us to get.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Hard to believe that's it is in their best interest to attend the same schools from a Basketball perspective. Since they play the same position one would start and the other comes off the bench. The only way they both start is if the school they decide to attend, doesn't have a true center and one fills that roll. From reviews I've read, both don't seem suited for the Center Position. They can both start on their High School team, but realistically it doesn't happen in College if they choose to attend a Top 25 school. However, this is from a Basketball perspective and their friendship may be more important then who starts.

Realistically if Kathryn chooses UConn, then she sits behind Morgan for two years. She'll get plenty of playing time, but won't start. until her Junior year if she's talented enough and works hard.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Of all the recruits we're looking at I think Westbeld is the most important for us to get.

I have not seen any of them play...so I am interested as to how you determined this. From what I’ve read, I would rank Calhoun and Wilson ahead of her.

HGN

Reaction Score
I agree with Ozzie on this..........I think Westbeld is an important get. But maybe not the most important get for UConn.........A nice piece to another National Championship puzzle for us though. We've had desired players that were important to us and the players have gone to other schools instead ( ala, X-Girl ; EDD ; Walker ; Hammond , etc. ). And we have gone on to win a NC. Like most freshmen coming to a talented team , Westbeld would get plenty of minutes , but have to sit and wait her turn to start.

I hope Westbeld signs with UConn but not insist upon a player package deal. The ONLY package deals Geno seems to grant is : You sign , and within 4yrs we Win a NC.:)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is impossible to sign with UConn as a "Package Deal." That option just ain't happening.

HGN

Reaction Score
I read an article that Westbeld and Waterman are NOT a package. They would certainly like to play together but are not insistent. They have looked at some of the same schools and paid some unofficial visits together and seperate.

FYI ,their AAU teammate , (pg) Kelsey Mitchell , the No.4 rated player in the country , loves playing with them. And stated that Waterman is a beast on the blocks.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hard to believe that's it is in their best interest to attend the same schools from a Basketball perspective. Since they play the same position one would start and the other comes off the bench. The only way they both start is if the school they decide to attend, doesn't have a true center and one fills that roll. From reviews I've read, both don't seem suited for the Center Position. They can both start on their High School team, but realistically it doesn't happen in College if they choose to attend a Top 25 school. However, this is from a Basketball perspective and their friendship may be more important then who starts.

Realistically if Kathryn chooses UConn, then she sits behind Morgan for two years. She'll get plenty of playing time, but won't start. until her Junior year if she's talented enough and works hard.

But is starting what is important? As has been pointed out many times on this board, and has proven to be true, a true team player is not concerned about starting but instead about the team concept.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just because they play the same position doesn't mean one starts and one comes off the bench necessarily. Technically while in college, Jones, Cash and Williams all played the same position. All were 6'2" or so, none had a 3 point shot IIRC, and all played in the post. Cash and Jones had a better jump shot than Williams, who was a beast around the basket, but my point is all 3 were forwards. And yet all 3 were starters for at least 2 years at UCONN. And as ETT pointed out, Doty started most games and Hartley came off the bench this year and that worked out pretty well...

Who starts is unimportant unless the team you are playing is so good that they can get up 10-15 in the first 4 minutes and you have to try to stem the tide. UCONN is that team for most every other team out there, not the other way around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom