OT: Karem Abdul-Jabbar Class All The Way | The Boneyard

OT: Karem Abdul-Jabbar Class All The Way

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Okay, maybe when he was reacting to Larry on the court I had a different view, but one of the great icons of the game just did a really classy thing and you might want to get in on the action and bid on his NBA Championship rings:

1551281259456.png

"The proceeds of the sale will go into the coffers of his Skyhook Foundation charity to help kids learn about science, technology, engineering and math.

“When it comes to choosing between storing a championship ring or trophy in a room, or providing kids with an opportunity to change their lives, the choice is pretty simple. Sell it all,” Abdul-Jabbar wrote on his blog. “Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I’d rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future. That’s a history that has no price.”

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Auctions Memorabilia To Help Kids - The Shadow League

PS. Huskies Trivia Question: How many rings did Geno leave in an unlocked car?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kareem's game was true artistry. The sky hook is undoubtedly one of the hardest shots to master and with his length, he probably never really needed it. In this day of brute force dunks, he is too easily forgotten. Keep it up Kareem. You are truely one of a kind.

Reaction Score
He was probably the most renowned player ever to come out of high school. It was big news when he decided to play for UCLA.

I remember how distraught, even angry, people were in NY, Everyone expected him to stay on the East Coast.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I watched "Lew" play in the high school game of the week on TV when he was a freshman. Power Memorial had some good guards and an excellent team, but it was apparent that the lanky 14 year-old had amazing potential.

He played for Coach Wooden, got a UCLA education, and set several NBA records. The Sky Hook is probably the best shot in the history of basketball. He is a man of many interests and talents. Kareem is a classy guy and not a dumb jock.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Okay, maybe when he was reacting to Larry on the court I had a different view, but one of the great icons of the game just did a really classy thing and you might want to get in on the action and bid on his NBA Championship rings:

View attachment 40213

"The proceeds of the sale will go into the coffers of his Skyhook Foundation charity to help kids learn about science, technology, engineering and math.

“When it comes to choosing between storing a championship ring or trophy in a room, or providing kids with an opportunity to change their lives, the choice is pretty simple. Sell it all,” Abdul-Jabbar wrote on his blog. “Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I’d rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future. That’s a history that has no price.”

Typical class from a lifetime classy American. Take that flat earthers.

Reaction Score

View attachment 40213

First nice gesture. Those with extra bucks should join him; nothing is more worthy than the potential of our youth.
There was a kid in New York about his time: Lew Alcindor he ripped open the HS scene. What ever happened to Lew??

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

View attachment 40213

Of course, Mr. Bird raised trash-talk to an art form and could get under anyone's skin. Kareem also eschewed the level of exuberance that Magic demonstrated. He was at his best showing the baleful, been-here-before, day-at-the office-look perfected by Mr. Worthy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Of course, Mr. Bird raised trash-talk to an art form and could get under anyone's skin. Kareem also eschewed the level of exuberance that Magic demonstrated. He was at his best showing the baleful, been-here-before, day-at-the office-look perfected by Mr. Worthy.

But the King of Baleful was and will always be The Chief, Robert Parish. You don't step on his cape either:

Reaction Score
I've had to change my opinion of Kareem much as I did with Bill Russell. I took offense to the fact that both were relatively quiet during their playing days, ignorant to the circumstances each was confronted with; black players playing in cities that weren't exactly open to athletes of color, especially ones who were outspoken, but I now understand their relative silence. Years later when each began to speak out on human rights and issues that blacks were confronted with, day over day, I was offended. I needed to do some further digging to better understand their individual upbringings and how each was treated as they progressed through the collegiate and pro ranks and with that I came to have the utmost respect for both Kareen and #6 in green.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've had to change my opinion of Kareem much as I did with Bill Russell. I took offense to the fact that both were relatively quiet during their playing days, ignorant to the circumstances each was confronted with; black players playing in cities that weren't exactly open to athletes of color, especially ones who were outspoken, but I now understand their relative silence. Years later when each began to speak out on human rights and issues that blacks were confronted with, day over day, I was offended. I needed to do some further digging to better understand their individual upbringings and how each was treated as they progressed through the collegiate and pro ranks and with that I came to have the utmost respect for both Kareen and #6 in green.

Can't like that enough @ME Husky Fan

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Okay, maybe when he was reacting to Larry on the court I had a different view

Yeah, Kareem and Larry had some seriously intense and competitive moments in their careers. However, Kareem has a great appreciation of Larry and his basketball skills and basketball IQ.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
He is also self aware and able to make fun of himself. One of the many great scenes in Airplane

I remember an interview with Kareem where he told a story about being on a flight in a jumbo jet. The pilot came out before takeoff and asked Kareem to visit the cockpit. Once inside he was asked to strap into one of the jump seats for takeoff. They explained the wanted to say they flew with Roger Murdock in their cockpit. Once in the air he returned to his assigned seat.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Kareem is also a huge jazz fan. He had an unbelievable collection of jazz LPs that was lost in a fire a few decades ago. That's another plus in my book, and as far as I'm concerned is another example of what a thoughtful and cerebral guy he is.

Reaction Score
Kareem also writes children's books (among other books). I went to a book signing of his for a children's book.

Reaction Score
I went to a preseason game in the '80s in Balto between the Washington Bullets and the LA Lakers. I got a courtside seat and the ball came to me during the game. I tossed the ball to Magic.

One of my fondest memories...

Kareem was looking at us as I did it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Amid the firestorm surrounding the racist comments by Clippers owner Donald Sterling in 2014, Kareem wrote one of the most thoughtful and insightful pieces to emerge from that maelstrom:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Welcome to the Finger-Wagging Olympics

Great article.

Also, I like Kareem's idea that Finger Wagging should be considered as an Olympic event along with break dancing. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom