Karaban reminds us of the importance of the mid-range game. | The Boneyard

Karaban reminds us of the importance of the mid-range game.

Reaction Score
It is true that college basketball has become a largely three and dunk game. Some on this board argue, -you know who you are- that we should never take a mid-range shot.

Last night Alex brought showed off his incredible mid-range game and it played a huge role in our victory. Last year we were devastated by St John's hitting mid-range shot after mid-range shot. It is an very powerful weapon especially with teams swarming the perimeter and falling back to the basket especially with the shot clock winding down.

It's fair to say that mid-range game is not in fashion in the early part of the 21st century. But there is still a spot on a roster for guys with a strong mid-range game. And it really rounds out a three-point shooter's overall value. It certainly helped last night. BTW, if Clingan or Johnson developed a 12-foot jump shoot, that would be immensely helpful as well.

Reaction Score
I think the only mid-range shots he took were as the shot clock was winding down, and I don’t think either was a particularly good shot even though he made them. Great player, great game, contested mid-ranges are not great shots

Reaction Score
It is true that college basketball has become a largely three and dunk game. Some on this board argue, -you know who you are- that we should never take a mid-range shot.

Last night Alex brought showed off his incredible mid-range game and it played a huge role in our victory. Last year we were devastated by St John's hitting mid-range shot after mid-range shot. It is an very powerful weapon especially with teams swarming the perimeter and falling back to the basket especially with the shot clock winding down.

It's fair to say that mid-range game is not in fashion in the early part of the 21st century. But there is still a spot on a roster for guys with a strong mid-range game. And it really rounds out a three-point shooter's overall value. It certainly helped last night. BTW, if Clingan or Johnson developed a 12-foot jump shoot, that would be immensely helpful as well.
100%, developing that shot for either or both of C/J would be frightening to opponents.

Reaction Score
People love to misrepresent the argument against mid-range shots.

No coach worth their salary ever said "don't take a mid-range shot, ever." The strategy is to design plays that get you 3s and layups primarily, and if those are taken away, you have the mid-range shot as a counter or second option.

That's exactly what happened last night. Our offense was stalling in a bad way because Texas was defending the perimeter better than we've seen all year. Alex took a couple of mid-range shots (Newton too) as the clock was expiring and drilled them.

The mid-range wasn't our first, second, or probably even third option, but a great player made a play when he needed to from the only scoring spot that was available.

Reaction Score

I knew someone was going to come on the board and post something like this. Taking a mid range shot with 1 on the shot clock is a lot different than drawing up a play to get Alex Karaban a bunch of mid range attempts every game. The former is exactly what should happen, the latter should never happen

Reaction Score
The mid-range game needs to keep the defense honest and in late-clock breakdown situations. It should not be a focal point -- if your offense is designed to set up forwards for shots along the baseline or jumpers from the elbow, it's a bad offense.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
My impression is that Karaban has much improved his ability to create his own
shot. Probably will never be his #1 asset but it makes him a better college player...and will do the same at
the NBA level.

Reaction Score
The reason why we are able to blitz our opponents is because we don't prioritize the mid range game. Shooting open 3's and layups is the most efficient way to score the basketball. Watching other teams the prioritize the mid range game shows how far behind they are in offensive philosophy. Just look at Indiana lol.

Our shot selection heat map looked like this last year too and we were the most unstoppable offense in the country. This is beautiful basketball

Reaction Score
The reason why we are able to blitz our opponents is because we don't prioritize the mid range game. Shooting open 3's and layups is the most efficient way to score the basketball. Watching other teams the prioritize the mid range game shows how far behind they are in offensive philosophy. Just look at Indiana lol.

Our shot selection heat map looked like this last year too and we were the most unstoppable offense in the country. This is beautiful basketball

All the shot from the foul circle are mid range shots (13 shots maybe more yesterday, 18 the game before), you cannot dunk from 10 feet out.

Well, maybe you can but the almost no college players can.

Reaction Score
All the shot from the foul circle are mid range shots (13 shots maybe more yesterday, 18 the game before), you cannot dunk from 10 feet out.

Do you really think any shot outside of dunking range is a mid-range shot? I'm gonna need help with this.

Reaction Score
Do you really think any shot outside of dunking range is a mid-range shot? I'm gonna need help with this.
Yes, there are three types of shots, lay ups or dunks. Three pointers and in-between also know as mid-range. Mid-range shots are any shot that is not a three-pointer or dunk/lay up. There are basically any two point shot that is not at the rim.

Perhaps you have some special names for two pointers that are not at the rim? Do you have a special name for an eight footer?

Reaction Score
Yes, there are three types of shots, lay ups or dunks. Three pointers and in-between also know as mid-range. Mid-range shots are any shot that is not a three-pointer or dunk/lay up. There are basically any two point shot that is not at the rim.

Perhaps you have some special names for two pointers that are not at the rim? Do you have a special name for an eight footer?

You're changing your story now, per usual. Lol.

Reaction Score
We shot 29% from 3. Yes I prefer a 3 but I’m good with any range that Alex makes. The shot clock is going to wind down and sometimes you can’t get to the rim or get a 3. Midrange.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Actually think Karaban could be absolutely deadly from the high post if we decided to use him that way.

That turn around fadeaway was money and looked natural. Any superstar player in the NBA has an elite midrange game too. Not necessarily 3 point game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think hooks and anything else in close is not normally a "mid range" shot. We do an outstanding job of moving the ball to get open looks in close or from 3. Our shot chart is amazing.

As others have said the midrange is there for those times when the defense is effective taking away the better shots. If the defense is so good that you mostly take those shots, you probably lose the game. It's a situational shot when other options don't present themselves in a possession and time is running out. If you take that with 15 on the shot clock, rather than passing, you took a bad shot.

Reaction Score
Karaban is just a good player with very good size. He's a difficult match up for basically anyone. Even when Karaban has been beaten up by a physical PF (which we saw on occasion last year) he's never just taking it. He's giving it back with 3s on the other end. He's almost certainly a pro. Not sure if he's a starter in the pros but he's clearly learning all the skills he can that translate to modern NBA

Reaction Score
Actually think Karaban could be absolutely deadly from the high post if we decided to use him that way.
They did that a lot last season when the other team went to a 2-3 zone. He was great at it. I'd even say spectacular. When Indiana went zone I was wondering why they didn't send Karaban to the high post.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I've always thought of mid range shots as being outside of the paint but inside the three-point line.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
They did that a lot last season when the other team went to a 2-3 zone. He was great at it. I'd even say spectacular. When Indiana went zone I was wondering why they didn't send Karaban to the high post.
Yup. That and post ups in general with the extra strength he has. Whether it’s a turnaround fadeaway, drive to the rim, pass out of a double. Think Karaban can be pretty good at it all there and show off his offensive versatility.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Those were incredible hard shots that he made at the end of the game. Not sure that those are the shots I would want all of the time but when his 3’s aren’t falling, it’s great to see him pull those out of his bag of tricks. Incredible difficult shots that he made look easy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom