Kansas Post Game Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Kansas Post Game Thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I was amazed at how well Indiana traveled to MSG and told them so. I had quite a few conversations with their fans and they struck me the same way, friendly and generally knowledgeable about the game.
Yeah, the other article I posted the KU fans compared us to IU in terms of travel. K-State and Missouri travel well to KU, like Providence does to UConn, but to do it long distance is a different thing.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know I'll end up kicking myself for continuing this but the trainwreck this thread has become is nearly impossible to look away from.

One of our freshman did play significant minutes in Kansas. The take the DH didn't want to give any of the kids a chance is insane.

The one who did play was healthy, is a reasonably capable ball handler for a wing and has physically mature body. None of our other freshmen could check all three of those boxes this past Friday evening.

If you look back at posts of mine from early summer you will see that I have been as high on Ross as anyone here. I believe that he will turn into a tremendous player for us and greatly exceed the expectations of most of our fan base. That said, he didn't belong in the court last Friday. He isn't physically ready to play inside or defend anyone on Kansas and if he was used as a spot up wing, it would have made it easier for Kansas to force the issue with our ball handlers.

Stewart is better physically equipped but he also is not enough of a ball handler to play the three and at the four Kansas would have had a mismatch.

I don't believe the plan was to limit our rotation as severely as we did but it was obvious that we weren't expecting Kansas to blitz the ball handlers (and overplay everyone else) to the level they did and Hurley viewed the shorter rotation as the best path to win the game (by the way, it almost worked).

In retrospect it is easy to say "we would have lost anyway so why not play the other kids" but in the heat of battle, in a game that we were in until literally the final seconds, a head coach can't start trying things just for the sake of seeing what happens.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Karaban's 5th foul was a weak call. Without it, that last shot is his and goes in.

Reaction Score
I don’t even know why the assumption always has to be that they will fail in the first place.

That’s the biggest issue with a lot of these stances is the belief that you clearly don’t have in these players.
Wow 'the belief you clearly don't have' is an all-timer for the 'yard and the English language!
I don't believe that I ever posted such a stance or believe in that assumption. Instead, I believe that I clearly applied your unbelievable Dirk analogy of a poor result/performance motivating.

To be clear, I don't know or believe anyone would fail. I only know and believe anyone that didn't play didn't play for multitudes of reasons & I can't assume clear knowledge of those reasons.

Further, I do believe the stance that some people think they know better than the coaches is the issue. And l believe there will never* be a clear response much less proof to this issue because one doesn't exist. Specifically what, how, why one has a belief that he/she knows something that is better than what the coaches believe.

*when the clear proof exists we can assume said poster will vault for the obscurity of the boneyard to a SEVEN year $37.5MM head coaching gig on the UConn sideline!

Reaction Score
Karaban's 5th foul was a weak call. Without it, that last shot is his and goes in.

It feels like he's shooting 85% on buzzer-beaters, and I'm all for it. Has he EVER missed a big shot?

Reaction Score
Everyone, @HuskyWarrior611 is a hooper. We got a hooper in here.

Not to derail this thread - or maybe it should be derailed - but Baldwin's scenes with Stiller are great. The urinal scene especially. I laugh every time he farts, slaps Stiller's ass, and then rubs his earlobe. "Good things."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What? His 4th foul was a weak call. The 5th was (a) unbelievably stupid for such a smart player and (b) about as obvious as a foul gets. Reaching in and getting all forearm is going to be called a foul. He was frustrated he didn't draw a foul and made a bad decision to try to get the ball back.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Anyone who has spent time coaching knows how ridiculous people are about PT. No coach is TRYING TO LOSE GAMES by not playing positive contributors.
Just want to say of course no coach is ever trying to lose games. Doesn’t mean guys don’t make mistakes all the time.

The whole “coaches know better” just cause is a very lazy stance to take. And it’s not because the opposite side knows better, it just takes no independent thought. Even though there may be proof that the coach makes mistakes too (like everyone because they’re human).

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Is this thread gonna die once the UNC game occurs?

Reaction Score
Just want to say of course no coach is ever trying to lose games. Doesn’t mean guys don’t make mistakes all the time.

The whole “coaches know better” just cause is a very lazy stance to take. And it’s not because the opposite side knows better, it just takes no independent thought. Even though there may be proof that the coach makes mistakes too (like everyone because they’re human).
You really think Hurley wouldn’t have played Stewart and/or Ross if he thought they could contribute with Spencer hurt and Karaban in foul trouble? I think it says a lot that Spencer at less than 50 percent still played that much. Doesn’t mean they won’t be contributing later on though

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What? His 4th foul was a weak call. The 5th was (a) unbelievably stupid for such a smart player and (b) about as obvious as a foul gets. Reaching in and getting all forearm is going to be called a foul. He was frustrated he didn't draw a foul and made a bad decision to try to get the ball back.
I'm gonna listen to a Kansas fan?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom