Kalana G. - home town visit. Just FYI | The Boneyard

Kalana G. - home town visit. Just FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We're just back tonight from two weeks away, mostly in the Carolinas, on a trip triggered by the death of a close Appalachian cousin who was at my birth nearly 80 years ago.

On the way south, early on a Friday evening, we passed a sign for St. Stephens, SC. I said to Barbara, "Hey, I think that was Kalana's hometown." We made a U-turn and asked a few questions and eventually ended up near an elementary school, where we met up with a large group of young people. Struck up some conversations.....confirmed that we were in the right town and that Kalana had attended that very school. We ended up spending some time with a young lady who informed us, with great pride, that she had been a high school classmate of Kalana.

There was a playground by the school with some baskets, and I feel pretty certain that she probably honed some early skills right there. Kind of felt like cutting down some net and bringing it back to CT and Storrs. ( St. S a small town in terms of population, though quite sprawling.....flat and rural....didn't think to ask if her folks were still there .)

Reaction Score
What a great thing to do on your trip! As soon as I read this, I thought of Kalana describing Geno's home visit: he put his feet up on her coffee table and asked if she wanted to win a national championship.

We know how the championship turned out. Wonder how the coffee table's doing. :)

Reaction Score
SAMANTHA - thanks for your kind words.. From what we've read, Geno has put his feet up on ALOT of tables. I'll never forget the story in the Mel Thomas book, "Heart of a Husky," where she talks about various schools coming into her home with fancy presentations (and what I would consider to be "gifts" if I received them......NCAA sanction that??). Next, she gets to Coach's visit and says something like, "Then Geno comes in, puts his feet up on the coffee table, and drinks all our wine." (Heckuva good book, by the way, for those who haven't seen it.)

You know, if I'd have thought of it, I could have stopped by A. Wilson's hometown in SC as well, though usually on our trips we focus our side runs on visits to military bases to thank the troops for their service and protection and sacrifices. Something for others to consider: I can tell you such visits are very much appreciated by our young men and women.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually, Kalana honed her dunking skills on that playground. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom