Juwan will be the key to being a fast break oriented team next year | The Boneyard

Juwan will be the key to being a fast break oriented team next year

Reaction Score
KO has always stated he wants to be an uptempo team that pushes the ball on every rebound. He was hoping we would average 18 fast break points per game. Those expectations went down the toilet with injuries to Alterique and Larrier.

However we have yet to have a team that has been able to run a strong fast break during KO's tenure here. In my opinion we haven't had the big man who could rebound and then be able to quickly hit a guard with an outlet pass. Juwan, in the minutes we have seen him, has shown flashes of that ability.

He is tall, athletic, has a good knack for rebounding the ball, and has shown he can make the outlet pass or hit the break away guard with well timed passes for easy fast break points. Showed that on a great pass to Purvis yesterday.

People forget that he was a 5 star (top 15 player who was going to be moving up the rankings even then!) before his injuries. He has a great feel for the game, and he will be that big that will allow our guards to break early and get fed with beautiful passes on the run.

He will be the key big our team needs for starting the fast break next year and beyond. Looking forward to his development as the season progresses this year. Hope he gets more run the rest of the season, as he could really be a key piece for whats shaping up to be a super strong team next year.

*Disclaimer: I have not given up on this year's team (just in case it comes off that way), but its hard not to peak at next year and not be really excited for the team we will have.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
KO has always stated he wants to be an uptempo team that pushes the ball on every rebound. He was hoping we would average 18 fast break points per game. Those expectations went down the toilet with injuries to Alterique and Larrier.

However we have yet to have a team that has been able to run a strong fast break during KO's tenure here. In my opinion we haven't had the big man who could rebound and then be able to quickly hit a guard with an outlet pass. Juwan, in the minutes we have seen him, has shown flashes of that ability.

He is tall, athletic, has a good knack for rebounding the ball, and has shown he can make the outlet pass or hit the break away guard with well timed passes for easy fast break points. Showed that on a great pass to Purvis yesterday.

People forget that he was a 5 star (top 15 player who was going to be moving up the rankings even then!) before his injuries. He has a great feel for the game, and he will be that big that will allow our guards to break early and get fed with beautiful passes on the run.

He will be the key big our team needs for starting the fast break next year and beyond. Looking forward to his development as the season progresses this year. Hope he gets more run the rest of the season, as he could really be a key piece for whats shaping up to be a super strong team next year.

*Disclaimer: I have not given up on this year's team (just in case it comes off that way), but its hard not to peak at next year and not be really excited for the team we will have.
He's our Lamborghini Aventador!
If this projection doesn't pan out you know there will be those who set up expectations based on this. Nonetheless I applaud the optimism and worrying about how the negative nellies will react shouldn't hold back the optimism.

There really is no way of knowing if the kid can get back to that degree of skills and activity pre injury. But I do like that the staff have given him more game play. It means that he's progressing in practice, both in duration and movement. People criticize KO a lot, but I'm happy they didn't rush this kid even when they could have used him in the past.

And yes he was top 15 which some of the KO bashers conveniently ignore.

Reaction Score
Like your optimism and agree Juwan is going to be big for us next year and will help leading the break but I don't think people forget or fail to give Ollie recognition for locking down a one time 5 star recruit. Ollie brought in a fantastic class this year, now he has to coach them up and really get us winning a lot of games next year.

Reaction Score
Umm we still have a lot of games left this season guys. . . . . . . . . . Just saying.

Reaction Score
I really think this will end up ok for us. If Durham gains confidence and strength he will be a beast stretch. We need some guys to board . Durham, Diarra others.

Reaction Score
I really think this will end up ok for us. If Durham gains confidence and strength he will be a beast stretch. We need some guys to board . Durham, Diarra others.

I remember watching the tape of Juwan vs Tony Bradley thinking how athletic and good he was. Bradley is a very nice player who is coming into his own as we speak and playing well for the Tar Heels. But he did not have to overcome the adversity which Juwan did, so give this time. Just 2 years ago our guy outplayed the Tar Heel head-to-head there's a lot of game left in this young man. Slowly we are seeing some of it, but as his knees get stronger and he gets more confident we will see even more I think.

Reaction Score
He'd been away from the game for a while. Think of AJ Price: he missed one year for brain issues, another from suspension, and his first year back he was a disaster until about March. Time away from the game sapped his speed and dulled his basketball sense. And he could practice in that second year, too.

If Durham is as good as he was projected--and he shows flashes--we'll be lucky to start seeing glimmers of that in March.

Reaction Score
Durham is getting better day in and day out. He has BB skills and IQ and athleticism just waiting to be unlocked through the passage of time. Confidence in both his body and his game will grow with playing time/practice and strength and conditioning. He's just trying to get back to where he was; never mind grow as a player. His skill set is a natural gift and I think he'll be a NBA player if he avoids injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom