Just watched 'He Got Game' for the first time... | The Boneyard

Just watched 'He Got Game' for the first time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So what'd you think? I watch it every March for Mojo

Great soundtrack from Aaron Copland classical to Public Enemy....good stuff

Yep....the remix of Still's "For what it's worth" kind of grew on me.

Reaction Score
So what'd you think? I watch it every March for Mojo

Great soundtrack from Aaron Copland classical to Public Enemy....good stuff

really enjoyed it! i'm a big big spike lee fan ("do the right thing" is a top-10 movie for me...) so i honestly don't know why i didn't watch it sooner. soundtrack was indeed great!

Reaction Score
Shame on me as a UConn fan, I guess.

It's streaming on Netflix now though, for anyone who needs to keep occupied during an eight-day gameless stretch...
Thanks for the update about it streaming on Netflix.

Reaction Score
Your about 20 years late but better late then never I would feel very sorry for you if you never did see He Got Game.

Reaction Score
When I was a kid there is one part of that movie I watched over and over.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I saw this yesterday, but I didn't want to be the first response and essentially say "WTF IS WRONG W U?!?!"

In all seriousness though, I have that DVD and also permanently recorded on my DVR, I watch it literally any time I see it on tv, and randomly just for fun from the DVR.

It truly is a good movie, and for a sports movie is incredibly realistic, and my favorite player of all time and UConn's greatest alum stars with Denzel. It included recruiting tidbits with real coaches and an incredible "extra benefit" on a visit, It spawned a nickname and added fame to an Air Jordan...

It's tough to find things about it not to like.

Edit/Question: Jim Brown is the Parole Officer Spivey, correct?

Reaction Score
Was curious if anyone else had been considered for Jesus Shuttlesworth and found this on Wikipedia:

For the role of Jesus, Lee had drawn up a list of every NBA player who could pass for a high school senior. Kobe Bryant was the original choice to portray Jesus Shuttlesworth, but after shooting several air balls that resulted in a brutal playoff loss to the Utah Jazz in the 1997 NBA Playoffs, he planned an extensive workout plan that would help maintain his strength throughout the duration of the longer NBA seasons. Lee found Tracy McGrady too reserved and was not impressed by Allen Iverson's performance. Management for Kevin Garnett and Stephon Marbury wanted a guarantee that one or the other would be offered the part. Travis Best, Walter McCarty, and Rick Fox also auditioned, and Lee cast them in supporting roles. Lee approached Allen during halftime of a Bucks-Knicks game, ultimately offering him the role of Jesus. Allen had never acted before, and he trained with an acting coach for eight weeks prior to filming.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Was curious if anyone else had been considered for Jesus Shuttlesworth and found this on Wikipedia:

For the role of Jesus, Lee had drawn up a list of every NBA player who could pass for a high school senior. Kobe Bryant was the original choice to portray Jesus Shuttlesworth, but after shooting several air balls that resulted in a brutal playoff loss to the Utah Jazz in the 1997 NBA Playoffs, he planned an extensive workout plan that would help maintain his strength throughout the duration of the longer NBA seasons. Lee found Tracy McGrady too reserved and was not impressed by Allen Iverson's performance. Management for Kevin Garnett and Stephon Marbury wanted a guarantee that one or the other would be offered the part. Travis Best, Walter McCarty, and Rick Fox also auditioned, and Lee cast them in supporting roles. Lee approached Allen during halftime of a Bucks-Knicks game, ultimately offering him the role of Jesus. Allen had never acted before, and he trained with an acting coach for eight weeks prior to filming.

I always heard Kobe was 1st choice, and it makes sense at that point.

It was supposed to be semi-based on Marbury, and they make a mention of Marbury as the "only one to make it outta Coney Island" obviously it would have been removed but the movie would have been half biopic, half what it is.

I'm glad Ray got it, obviously, but objectively Kobe is really the only other guy I'd see as doing it as well.

Reaction Score
I saw this yesterday, but I didn't want to be the first response and essentially say "WTF IS WRONG W U?!?!"

In all seriousness though, I have that DVD and also permanently recorded on my DVR, I watch it literally any time I see it on tv, and randomly just for fun from the DVR.

It truly is a good movie, and for a sports movie is incredibly realistic, and my favorite player of all time and UConn's greatest alum stars with Denzel. It included recruiting tidbits with real coaches and an incredible "extra benefit" on a visit, It spawned a nickname and added fame to an Air Jordan...

It's tough to find things about it not to like.

Edit/Question: Jim Brown is the Parole Officer Spivey, correct?
Yes, Spivey and Crudup. It's pathetic the meaningless stuff I remember.

Reaction Score

The agent in that movie reminds me so much of the squid lol.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yes, Spivey and Crudup. It's pathetic the meaningless stuff I remember.

Love them, and there's nothing pathetic about it ... Unless there is and it just means I'm pathetic x1000 bc I can basically act that movie out word for word.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

The agent in that movie reminds me so much of the squid lol.

"You in the mob? Down wit Gotti?"

"mob? Gotti? Jesus, what color is this? That's right, it's green. You're black, I'm white, and money is green."

That guy is a Cretan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog