Just one "really" away from excellence! | The Boneyard

Just one "really" away from excellence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"I hope somebody gives me some happy pills for Christmas because I guess I've got to start enjoying this team like everybody else seems to be enjoying it," Auriemma said. "I'm not exactly enamored with some of the stuff we do. It gets a little bit hairy out there at times. But what we do, which I like, is we go on these stretches where everything we do is really, really, really good.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Speaking of excellence, allow me to share an observation here. During a brief glance at the women's D-1 top 25 standings a moment ago, I noticed that UConn will have played 5 of the top 7 teams. They can't play themselves, and #5 Mississippi State is not on their schedule this year (although UConn did give them their worse loss of the year (98-38) in game #3 of last year's tournament).

No other team can make that statement. Iron sharpens iron. If you want to be the best, you've got to play the best. UConn is doing just that. 7 of the 12 teams they play before conference begins are/were ranked in the top 15. LSU (9-2), Dayton (3-6), Tenn-Chattanooga (5-6), Kansas State (10-1) and Nebraska (4-7) were/are unranked.

It will be interesting to see how many programs will take a number to get on UConn's out of conference schedule the next 4 years. I understand that OOC schedules are made a year or two in advance.
Can't wait to see who "manned up", and accepted the challenge.

Next year's team will be phenomenal, and is projected to be much better (and deeper) than this year's squad. I don't think next year's starters will have to worry about being asked to play 38-40 minutes a game next year. I wonder if they will be the preseason #1 ? I wonder if Geno's phone is still ringing off the hook? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yeah. He wasn't making a high enough income, so the administration fixed it.

Don't believe the hype. Somehow I don't think Geno will be standing in any soup lines in the near future.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
And I think it's just icing on the cake. This team will get better and with the intergeation of players next season....WATCH OUT!!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Overall, he is definitely enjoying it. For example, when interviewed immediately before the ND game, I recall he was truly excited and looking forward to see how his team would perform. Oh, by the way, you may have noticed he was also pretty happy a couple of hours later.;)

I think he is absolutely on the level though, with his quote in the first post above that there are times when he is not enjoying it so much. Against Ohio State, UConn gave up big leads at the end of both the first quarter and the second quarter, and I`m sure Geno let them have it at halftime. Third quarter a thing of beauty, though, but then a pretty lackluster fourth quarter that I would attribute to tired legs. We do see some offensive trips that are pretty ugly, and Mitchell was scoring at will in the first half including some drives where weak side help was nonexistent. So, I see where he is coming from. As always, he is also motivating the troops.

But yeah, overall he knows this team is embracing the challenge and doing a great job of defining their own season. As do we!!

Quite a contrast in styles of play last night. UConn lots of ball movement and teamwork, tough team defense; Ohio State all individual play, some of it quite talented, but only 6 assists on 27 baskets, and an uneven defensive effort.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...Third quarter a thing of beauty, though, but then a pretty lackluster fourth quarter that I would attribute to tired legs.

Spot on. Sometimes, when UConn is trying to run some clock with the current team, they just aren't as crisp on offense. In the Mama Stef years for example, they could run in and out of the post, kill time, and end up with a high-percentage shot. This team isn't quite there yet. But it surely is fun watching them try.

Reaction Score
Their legs might have been tired in the fourth quarter; but, they were going after rebounds with a ferocity that would have matched any UConn team.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Their legs might have been tired in the fourth quarter; but, they were going after rebounds with a ferocity that would have matched any UConn team.

Good point, they kept at it and had 5 offensive rebounds in the fourth quarter. Only shot 2 of 12 from the field though, possibly an indication.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Its safe to say Geno is having a lot of fun coaching this team.

Yes, it's very safe to say that. Here's why: Coaches like/love to coach. They like a real challenge. Coaches like building a program. The last four years, Geno arguably had the best class (threesome) of all time, as they did something no other class had ever done. Their freshman year, he had to change some mindsets and attitudes, and instill some personal and team discipline. The second year (after they had learned and embraced the UConn way of playing basketball), all he had to do is pretty much just roll a basketball out into the court, blow the whistle, and tell them to "get after it" (I'm being facetious of course).

He had everything on the last 3 teams. Leadership, experience, talent, and the experience of going the distance to win it all. It was a foregone conclusion that UConn was the elephant in the room the entire season. They were winning games by 30 - 50 point margins. Most of their games were over by half time. His starters rarely played more than 25 minutes a night. He also had Gabby and Napheesa coming off the bench as 6th & 7th women. When tournament play got into the second weekend, his bench shrunk down to those two players. All of the pundits, analysts and fans had UConn winning the NC every year, as they had morphed into a Goliath.

That is not the case today. Nothing is guaranteed or can be taken for granted. He's had to replace 3 starters, his bench is extremely shallow and he added 3 freshmen. This year, there's a boogeyman lurking out there somewhere looking to hand the Huskies their first defeat (and they know it). He can leap out of the shadows at any time. Yes, UConn is winning games not many people thought they would at the beginning of the season, but they're not out of the woods just yet. They've still got one more giant to slay (@Maryland Dec 29) before they begin conference play on January 1st at the University of Central Florida.

Geno has said several times in recent post game pressers, that HE sees things in practice (and games) that he doesn't like. Things that are not being done to his satisfaction. Things that only he and his staff can see. Things that they try and hide until they can be fixed. His asking for some "happy pills" for Christmas should be a clue. There is a much smaller margin for error now than in recent years. So, for all of those reasons (and more), Geno has to actually coach this year. I'm guessing he loves the challenge. Imagine for a moment the buzz in WCBB that would abound if Geno and his staff can pull out another NC this year.

A year that many thought was to be a rebuilding or "off" year for the program. I've said many times in recent posts that if Geno can pull THIS ONE off, not only should he be named coach of the decade, they should change the name of the NC trophy to "The Geno Auriemma Trophy". As in the "Lombardi" trophy in the NFL and The Larry O'Brien NBA Championship Trophy, which is the championship trophy awarded annually by the National Basketball Association (NBA) to the winner of the NBA Finals. The name of the trophy was the Walter A. Brown Trophy until 1984. Those trophies bare their names because they had a huge impact on the game. The same can be said for Geno on WCBB. I know this may seem like heresy, but I also think there are many others in the sports world that think if the trophy is to be renamed, it should be the "Pat Summitt" trophy. :eek:

The word on the street was (during the summer) and is, if you're going to beat UConn, you'd better do it THIS year. Because with the class they have coming in, and the two transfers that will be eligible, it will be back to business as usual for the Huskies, winning games by 30-40 points. Next year, more of the same as he welcomes in those 4 new freshmen into the program that will have to go through his "boot camp", and learn how to play basketball "the UConn way". Is Geno having fun coaching his team this year, you bet. No doubt he's pleased with the results thus far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"The Auriemma Trophy" nice ring to it and certainly appropriate

"The Auriemma/Dailey Trophy" more accurate and fitting for a women's sport

"The Huskynan, Oldecoach, Kibiter, TonyC, easttexastrash, itsasport,
_______, _______(fill in the blanks), There Is No Sport Without the Fans Trophy"

Reaction Score
Yeah. He wasn't making a high enough income, so the administration fixed it.
I assume they're saving up money for the statue the size of the Statue of Liberty when he retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom