Just my random thought: B1G Should have taken UConn and cuse | The Boneyard

Just my random thought: B1G Should have taken UConn and cuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They would have completely conquered the northeast with that. Realignment isn't about hoops but UConn vs Cuse in hoops is that big game in the NY and New England area. Maybe they could still make that happen.

Reaction Score
Syracuse doesn't fit the BIG metric because it is a private university.

They have Northwestern. It just seems like it would have been the obvious move to completely make the ACC irrelevant in the Northeast.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Syracuse is not B1G material. It's private, not AAU, not flagship, and are now mired in a serious academic/criminal scandal that should cripple their athletic department in the short-term. The only power conference option for Syracuse is the one that they have already been mercifully added to before hit their fan.

Reaction Score
Syracuse is not B1G material. It's private, not AAU, not flagship, and are now mired in a serious academic/criminal scandal that should cripple their athletic department in the short-term. The only power conference option for Syracuse is the one that they have already been mercifully added to before hit their fan.

I know the talking points against Cuse but they are the most dominant college sports brand in NY state and UConn is the dominant college sports brand in New England. The combo would deliver for the B1G.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I know the talking points against Cuse but they are the most dominant college sports brand in NY state and UConn is the dominant college sports brand in New England. The combo would deliver for the B1G.

Hey, I'd sign up for UConn and Porter&Chester to the B1G. Don't get me wrong. I think the B1G is waiting on an ACC school that fits their profile better (UVA, VT, UNC, etc) that will, hopefully, pair up with UConn.

Reaction Score
Don't think the Big 10 would've taken Cuse. They haven't put any money into their football facilities for years and its starting to show. Fan support is and was the worst among all the Eastern Independents too.

The last time the Carrier Dome impressed recruits was when Thriller was #1 on the airways.

Reaction Score
They would have completely conquered the northeast with that. Realignment isn't about hoops but UConn vs Cuse in hoops is that big game in the NY and New England area. Maybe they could still make that happen.[/QUOTE[/

Miami left the Big East for the ACC in July 2003. In the late 2003, 2004 time period, the Big 10 was not thinking about moving east for teams. The ACC wanted a school south of Tallahassee, Miami ( fed up with Tranghese ) fit the bill. Syracuse ( because of Boeheim ) was torn between the football faction at their school ( that wanted to go with BC to the ACC) and the Basketball factions under Boeheim that wanted to stay with Tranghese and the BE. The ACC saw the BE falling apart after the loss of Miami and saw their opportunity to expand their reach from Florida to Maine, along the Atlantic Coast. So they became pro active to attain that goal. The Big 10 later got what they wanted, ie NY, NJ, DC metro market by adding Maryland, Rutgers. There has never been any serious consideration by Big 10 School Presidents ( nor Delaney ) of adding Syracuse to the Big 10, at any time. Syracuse , a private school, is a good fit for the ACC, and that's why both the ACC and Syracuse came to a mutual agreement for ACC invite and subsequent membership.

Reaction Score
Miami left the Big East for the ACC in July 2003. In the late 2003, 2004 time period, the Big 10 was not thinking about moving east for teams. The ACC wanted a school south of Tallahassee, Miami ( fed up with Tranghese ) fit the bill. Syracuse ( because of Boeheim ) was torn between the football faction at their school ( that wanted to go with BC to the ACC) and the Basketball factions under Boeheim that wanted to stay with Tranghese and the BE. The ACC saw the BE falling apart after the loss of Miami and saw their opportunity to expand their reach from Florida to Maine, along the Atlantic Coast. So they became pro active to attain that goal. The Big 10 later got what they wanted, ie NY, NJ, DC metro market by adding Maryland, Rutgers. There has never been any serious consideration by Big 10 School Presidents ( nor Delaney ) of adding Syracuse to the Big 10, at any time. Syracuse , a private school, is a good fit for the ACC, and that's why both the ACC and Syracuse came to a mutual agreement for ACC invite and subsequent membership.

I'm not really disputing any of that. The B1G has certainly gained market share in the mid-atlantic and NY area with the UMD and RU additions. My point is simply why stop there? If they could get Syracuse and UConn, they'd have the preeminent hoops matchup in the Northeast as a conference game and have the most popular college program in NY state in addittion to one with a major New England presence and elite hoops pedigree. How much market share would the ACC have in the Northeast with only BC and Pitt if UConn, Cuse, RU, UMD, and PSU were all in the B1G?

Reaction Score

I don't buy this--I heard from multiple directions that the very first school B1G offered, before Nebraska, was Vanderbilt.

I suspect that the prime metric--at least then, before anyone knew how the B1G Network thing would turn out--was research $. Don't know that's necessarily changed.

Reaction Score
I don't buy this--I heard from multiple directions that the very first school B1G offered, before Nebraska, was Vanderbilt.
I had not heard that . The Big never has given me any indication that they were interested in expansion into the Deep South. Also I have never got any indication from Vanderbilt alums and fans that they'd be interested in leaving their long time afiliation with the SEC to go to a Midwest centric conference filled with mostly large Publics such as the Big 10. But who knows regarding all these rumors that circulate. Some do eventually do pan out as being credible

Reaction Score
I need to clarify something: That 12th spot always had a "Reserved for Notre Dame" sign on it. I'm talking about after that.

Two schools that were always on Big Ten radar were Rutgers and Vanderbilt. Obviously not for football reasons.

From the scuttlebutt I've picked up, Delany is inclined to think like a sports commissioner/television executive, whereas most the Presidents and Chancellors think research first and foremost. And that makes sense--they're academics. They want to be able to say, "The B1G cured cancer" a lot more than "We won the football championship." Ideally, they get both.

There has always been that tension--from the get go, Delany and the Presidents got on the expansion horse and rode off in all directions. Delany was happy about Nebraska falling in his lap--it was a football school he wanted that he could sell to the Presidents.

A lot of the "requirements" aren't requirements at all but are a tough sell to the Presidents and Chancellors--specifically the AAU and contiguous state "requirements". They're really research-centric with big bonus points for the right kinds of research. They love that medicine stuff.

Reaction Score
Not only that..... Cuse is sorta like a Northwestern "lite" who would probably be bypassed today because its doubledipping in Illinois and not a large flagship or research oriented school nor is Cuse close enough to Toronto. Heck PSU already has central NY covered and here in the Capitol Region they have NO following so why would the NY/NJ region care? Cuse is trending the wrong way for the BTN!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pitt and Cuse have both had a vocal anti-B1G social media crowd for at least a decade. Not sure if that was a factor in anything, but I'm sure it didn't help.

There's also a quote from the Cuse president out there where he says something about not fitting in with the large Midwestern land grants. That may be a quote from recent years, but nevertheless, if that's the way they see themselves then that could definitely have been a factor in the interest level.

Reaction Score
Pitt and Cuse have both had a vocal anti-B1G social media crowd for at least a decade. Not sure if that was a factor in anything, but I'm sure it didn't help.

There's also a quote from the Cuse president out there where he says something about not fitting in with the large Midwestern land grants. That may be a quote from recent years, but nevertheless, if that's the way they see themselves then that could definitely have been a factor in the interest level.
I have a friend who lives and works there and for sure the FB crowd much prefers they got a B1G offer and where pretty depressed at the last round of CR but i think most saw the handwriting on the wall when Cuse and Pitt decided to bolt the OBE to save face knowing it was coming. Too bad the BE wasn't forward thinking enough on CFB because truthfully I miss the regionality and growing rivalries we had going on here in the NE w/o trying to imitate the SEC or selling our souls out to the FB gods.

Reaction Score
Hard to tell a school's leaning just from board comments....We all know Notre Dame will never join a conference in football...yet the Domer fans yack about it...

I agree that everyone misses regionality, and it takes a while to feel comfortable in a new conference situation...Penn State has taken a couple of decades, as has FSU

Reaction Score

I suspect that the prime metric--at least then, before anyone knew how the B1G Network thing would turn out--was research $. Don't know that's necessarily changed.
If you think it would help I bet we'd change our mascot to the Connecticut Researchers.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Not only that..... Cuse is sorta like a Northwestern "lite" who would probably be bypassed today because its doubledipping in Illinois and not a large flagship or research oriented school nor is Cuse close enough to Toronto. Heck PSU already has central NY covered and here in the Capitol Region they have NO following so why would the NY/NJ region care? Cuse is trending the wrong way for the BTN!!!

Just as a correction: Northwestern has been ranked around 25th in both research dollars and federal funded dollars. They have used over $500 million in their R & D. If the Big10 were to be formed today, no it wouldn't be invited, but not because they aren't a research powerhouse.

BTW - 'Cuse is going the wrong way in the R & D category, but they once were a powerhouse. They removed themselves from The AAU after UNL was voted out. Apparently, they couldn't keep the research dollars coming in.

Reaction Score
I was curious so I googled the dome. Thanks wikipedia. By my math, SU only had to pay about $9 million while NY paid $15. Times sure have changed.

"The Carrier Dome was constructed between April 1979 and September 1980. The total construction cost was $26.85 million, including a $2.75 million naming gift from the Carrier Corporation.[12] Huber, Hunt and Nichols, Inc. was the general contractor.
It was speculated at the time that political considerations helped this project advance. The State of New York provided a $15 million grant in 1978 for the Dome's construction. Democratic incumbent Governor Hugh Carey was thought to have trouble in his re-election campaign with upstate voters. He visited the site of the old Archbold stadium and was convinced by local officials and SU administrators on the utility of a Dome.[13] Carey won re-election to a second term following the approval of state funds, although the extent to which it helped him may never be known."

Reaction Score
Just as a correction: Northwestern has been ranked around 25th in both research dollars and federal funded dollars. They have used over $500 million in their R & D. If the Big10 were to be formed today, no it wouldn't be invited, but not because they aren't a research powerhouse.

BTW - 'Cuse is going the wrong way in the R & D category, but they once were a powerhouse. They removed themselves from The AAU after UNL was voted out. Apparently, they couldn't keep the research dollars coming in.
I hope you dont think I mean't any offense to NW...i really mean't it as a compliment as SU fan's/alum's seem to look askew as though they are a superior communications school probably due to the Newhouse family(Newhouse school is a fine school) who own the waning NJ Newark Star Ledger among other properties. NW is getting much more popular now in North Jersey/Greater NYC among HS football recruits i've met through my nephews since I've lived mostly in the Capitol region of NY after leaving NYC/NJ where I lived most of my adult life until i turned 40(91)...On the other hand SU's popularity has waned immensely this century esp in FB !! BTW I get the impression they opted out of AAU seeing the writing on the wall to save face. Anyway Dayooper..point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom