Just Dominate the new Big East | The Boneyard

Just Dominate the new Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the way the Big East is shaping up we need to just go dominate this conference. Get the BCS bid from all the non-Contract conferences and kick . Then the ACC/Big Ten will really want us.

Reaction Score
With the way the Big East is shaping up we need to just go dominate this conference. Get the BCS bid from all the non-Contract conferences and kick . Then the ACC/Big Ten will really want us.

It's actually that simple. What sucks is that we actually have to do it all again. What's worse, with the basketball team prevented from competing and the NBE taking form a year from now, we have to put up with this .

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we could go undefeated in 2014 by kicking ass and our ranking would not be good enough to get that open bcs bid slot. bsu will be in some mwc with byu and others. thy will have a high pre season ranking and go undefeated and get the bid over us every time. its not that simple.

Reaction Score
we could go undefeated in 2014 by kicking ass and our ranking would not be good enough to get that open bcs bid slot. bsu will be in some mwc with byu and others. thy will have a high pre season ranking and go undefeated and get the bid over us every time. its not that simple.
Exactly. The access vs non access thing is a serious thing. We could have a fabulous season at 10-2, and be relegated to the Kraft fight Hunger bowl.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Exactly. The access vs non access thing is a serious thing. We could have a fabulous season at 10-2, and be relegated to the Kraft fight Hunger bowl.

Just my opinion, but a lot of UConn fans here seem to expect to be given something even though our performance on the field to date has not merited it. If UConn ends up dominating the new conference, it will deserve a big payday bowl. I don't think we're remotely at the point where we can complain about having performed on the field but our strength of schedule screwed us into a lower bowl than we deserved. We certainly never dominated the Big East so far. Shared in two titles? Yeah, but certainly not in a dominant fashion.

All the doomsday folks seem to be saying that we can't compete with the paydays that the big boys are going to be getting so we won't be able to pay up for coaches and recruiting budgets, facilities, etc. and therefore will perpetually suck on the field in a crappy conference. I just don't buy that. We find a way to win (and obviously getting lucky with our next coach hire will be a big part of that) things will take care of themselves. If we don't win then we didn't deserve anything in the first place.

I don't understand why everyone is getting so depressed over a scenario where we win all but one or two of our games and then get shut out of a better payday bowl (keep in mind that the Big East shares all BCS revenue amongst its members - the payday doesn't go to the school that makes the grade). We have yet to actually win that many games and if we ever did, I'd be thrilled that we actually had a great team - and then we can complain about being frozen out of the system. But before then? It isn't worth the grief.

Reaction Score

True. But this is not about having 1 very good football season. Nor is this (at this point) about getting to the BCS championship, much less a BCS game. We are talking about changing perception and making "them" want us in their leagues. To that effect, it is that simple. We win and they will notice. They noticed Boise. They noticed TCU. They noticed Utah. .... Win and you will get noticed. Get noticed and you get into a good conference. You know the rest.

Reaction Score
If we are stuck in this new league. And we cannot be at the top end of it, year after year. Then we don't deserve to be where we want to be in the first place.

What is depressing about this scenario is the long list of unsexy opponents. The best way to mitigate that is to have an exciting team that people want to watch regardless.

Reaction Score
Changes are going to be needed to even dominate this watered down conference.Look at the downgrade of this season BE Champs,they are in competition for a bowl game with Kent flippin State.You cannot trot out this silly offense and expect things to get better.Like all the talking heads say...What the hell does Oregon have to offer besides crazy uniforms and wide open offense,how about Boise St?Storrs is like Broadway in comparison,speed kills and speed plays O.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't think PP is the guy to lead us there but, if he beats Cincy, what do we do with him?

Reaction Score
You still have to pull the trigger. 3-4 isn't going to cut. His best isn't going to get us where we need to be.

The ONLY sound reason to hang on to him is if Warde really doesn't see a viable candidate for us in the landscape. But he better be ripping the landscape and leaving no stone unturned.

Somewhere there is a genius who can deliver us from evil.

Reaction Score
If he beats Cincy, I say keep him if he will fire GDL and pick a new OC with Warde's blessing. If not, he's done.

I still feel Don Brown may be the man to coach this team. He has a great D, wants to live here and knows the players so we won't get crushed with transfers. In fact, I'm not so sure that most of the coaching pieces aren't on staff already. Hank Hughes has certainly been a good soldier and I would bet 10k that we'd be in a better place if he had been named head coach. He could certainly stick around too. My fear is losing Don Brown because he is our only bright spot.

Reaction Score
If he beats Cincy, I say keep him if he will fire GDL and pick a new OC with Warde's blessing. If not, he's done.

I still feel Don Brown may be the man to coach this team. He has a great D, wants to live here and knows the players so we won't get crushed with transfers. In fact, I'm not so sure that most of the coaching pieces aren't on staff already. Hank Hughes has certainly been a good soldier and I would bet 10k that we'd be in a better place if he had been named head coach. He could certainly stick around too. My fear is losing Don Brown because he is our only bright spot.

Past history indicates that he will resist firing DeLeone. They have always been a bit of a package deal. DeLeone will either have to quit, or Warde will have to force P's hand. If Warde has to do that then he might as well fire him, because nobody in their right mind would find this 113th ranked offense to be acceptable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think PP is the guy to lead us there but, if he beats Cincy, what do we do with him?

Pasqualoni is going to be a cockroach. He isn't going to suck enough to be a clear firing decision, but he will find a way to go 6-6 against a schedule of with Boise, Temple, Memphis and Tulane on it, beating Boise and Temple, losing to Memphis and Tulane.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but a lot of UConn fans here seem to expect to be given something even though our performance on the field to date has not merited it. If UConn ends up dominating the new conference, it will deserve a big payday bowl. I don't think we're remotely at the point where we can complain about having performed on the field but our strength of schedule screwed us into a lower bowl than we deserved. We certainly never dominated the Big East so far. Shared in two titles? Yeah, but certainly not in a dominant fashion.

You mean the way Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers have?

All the doomsday folks seem to be saying that we can't compete with the paydays that the big boys are going to be getting so we won't be able to pay up for coaches and recruiting budgets, facilities, etc. and therefore will perpetually suck on the field in a crappy conference. I just don't buy that. We find a way to win (and obviously getting lucky with our next coach hire will be a big part of that) things will take care of themselves. If we don't win then we didn't deserve anything in the first place.

You don't buy it? Which is why the Kansas City Royals are always challenging the Yankees and Red Sox. Likewise for the Pirates in the NL. Same resources, same chance to get prized free agents.

I don't understand why everyone is getting so depressed over a scenario where we win all but one or two of our games and then get shut out of a better payday bowl (keep in mind that the Big East shares all BCS revenue amongst its members - the payday doesn't go to the school that makes the grade). We have yet to actually win that many games and if we ever did, I'd be thrilled that we actually had a great team - and then we can complain about being frozen out of the system. But before then? It isn't worth the grief.

So we can expect Michigan, Washington and Kentucky all to split from their current contracts because they see that UConn is onto something?

If we are stuck in this new league. And we cannot be at the top end of it, year after year. Then we don't deserve to be where we want to be in the first place.

Now we're into self deprecation. The old catholic mentality . . . we are not worthy. Wish we could be more like Rutgers and Maryland.

What is depressing about this scenario is the long list of unsexy opponents. The best way to mitigate that is to have an exciting team that people want to watch regardless. On this point I'll agree.

Fire him. Fire him right after the final whistle to the season. Sorry Paul, we made the wrong selection when Randy left and got you involve in something well beyond your ability to handle. Our bad!

Reaction Score
Changes are going to be needed to even dominate this watered down conference.Look at the downgrade of this season BE Champs,they are in competition for a bowl game with Kent flippin State.You cannot trot out this silly offense and expect things to get better.Like all the talking heads say...What the hell does Oregon have to offer besides crazy uniforms and wide open offense,how about Boise St?Storrs is like Broadway in comparison,speed kills and speed plays O.

Not to pick on you but again, perception, stop beating our conference and us up unnecessarily. Did the Big East lose a lot of games it shouldn't have lost this year? Yes, it did. But guess what. The Big East was 3-0 versus the SEC. Two on the road by the way. The Big East was 4-4 versus the ACC this year. The Big East was a more than respectable 7-9 versus BCS competition this year, and ranked ahead of the ACC by almost every ranking. But we only want to talk about Rutgers losing to Kent State instead of the entire picture.

If our owns fans remain determined to find the rat droppings in every single pot of gold, we might as well give up now.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
TDH, are you really comparing a sport with free agency to college football?

Tell me, what was the athletic department budget for Utah State, La Tech, Kent State or Northern Illinois this year? That must have prevented them from winning a lot of games in football, right? After all, they can't compete with the BCS teams in their footprint with so much less money to pay their players?

You can pay for coaches and money obviously makes a difference there but unless you are trying to pay through the nose for a proven commodity (which seems to be your only strategy for success) that money isn't necessary. If you have a good AD who can make smart hires, you can still get good coaches to come in an build / continue winning programs. Easier said than done but it is possible.

Your point seems to be that we can never win lots of games unless we are in a "big boy" league and that's patently false. Plenty of other teams have done it with far less resources than us. Others complain that even if we do win lots of games, we won't get the credit we deserve and my point to them was that this is a problem we can tackle once we actually have a great football team. We certainly aren't there yet so why cause yourself such angst over a problem that may never manifest itself?

Reaction Score
Not to pick on you but again, perception, stop beating our conference and us up unnecessarily. Did the Big East lose a lot of games it shouldn't have lost this year? Yes, it did. But guess what. The Big East was 3-0 versus the SEC. Two on the road by the way. The Big East was 4-4 versus the ACC this year. The Big East was a more than respectable 7-9 versus BCS competition this year, and ranked ahead of the ACC by almost every ranking. But we only want to talk about Rutgers losing to Kent State instead of the entire picture.

If our owns fans remain determined to find the rat droppings in every single pot of gold, we might as well give up now.
I never take message board criticism to heart because everyones opinion should be heard.Possibly the way the post was written wasnt the best but my message was the coverage of the Rutgers game was where the downgrading was taking place by espn,belittling the game it was covering.Now as far as the head coach PP needs to go Im firm there,even in victory the games coached by PP were not exciting and rather predictable.On the other hand I could care less about this seasons won loss record against the SEC by the league but just the progression of the Uconn squad

Reaction Score
is the big east still gonna be a bcs automatic qualifier for conference winner after all the defections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom