Just a reminder | The Boneyard

Just a reminder

Reaction Score
UConn mens basketball has won national championships in four consecutive decades. the 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s.

That is an extremely rare accomplishment and it highlights the consistent excellence of the program.

We have also won championships in two consecutive centuries but we will have to wait 77 years before getting a chance to extend the streak.

Enjoy the summer.

Reaction Score
UConn mens basketball has won national championships in four consecutive decades. the 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s.

That is an extremely rare accomplishment and it highlights the consistent excellence of the program.

We have also won championships in two consecutive centuries but we will have to wait 77 years before getting a chance to extend the streak.

Enjoy the summer.
Will college basketball be a thing in 77 years? I say no. Basketball will exist but colleges as we know them now may not be around.

Reaction Score
Will college basketball be a thing in 77 years? I say no. Basketball will exist but colleges as we know them now may not be around.
Why do you think colleges won't be around in 2100? Just curious. They've been around for hundreds of years so what would change that?

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Why do you think colleges won't be around in 2100? Just curious. They've been around for hundreds of years so what would change that?
(Tongue firmly in cheek) Unions. (Crikey even Stanford has a grad student union now!)
Reality: The only thing missing from academic leadership are leaders. Oh there are plently of ships, and they're all going here, there, everywhere. Seriously, there is a tremendous amount of effort going to increasing the endowment and an equally diminishing amount of interest in education in more than a few of our best public and private institutions. Previous students and postdocs in our lab were at least curious about going into academia, now it's hard to get graduate students even interested in a postdoc - it's biotech or consulting. Also few graduate students are interested in basic sciences while many gravitate to whatever is hot at the moment (was stem cells now CRISPR/CAS), so we get a tail wags the dog effect so to speak.
Academia and secondary education will not melt away, but there needs to be a serious evaluation about adapting the changing landscape. Tongue in cheek aside, I jokingly compared postdocs to galley slaves, but they were the backbone of biomedical research from the 1970's on. As a former NCO, I understand what institutional knowledge and models of dedication bring to the workplace, makes everything hum. While my example is specific to biomedical sciences, all departments and schools will face this challenge.

Reaction Score
Good thing I’ll be dead.

Reaction Score

Enjoy the summer.

Talk to me when the Helms Foundation recognizes us. Otherwise, not interested.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As I am currently 62 years old I'm not sure that it should make any difference to me if the above statement ends up being correct. Experts do however believe that there is a chance that the first person who will live to 150 has already been born, so.....

Reaction Score
Can

Enjoy the summer.
we count the teens as it’s own …just because?

Reaction Score
I am retired and have a good pension. I didn't plan to live to 150. Maybe my pension is not as good as I thought.

caw

Reaction Score

Enjoy the summer.

Duke (15, 10, 01, 92, 91) can match it, and UNC (17, 09, 93, 82) has the chance to go five decades in a row. If either can win before 2030. They are the only ones who can. That's the list of who can match (or surpass) that feat by UConn this decade.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No one ever mentions the 43 Cow Tipping Titles. Central Michigan is second, with 22.
How much do you tip a cow? What do they spend the money on anyway?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom