Jurich interview: Louisville is as good as gone from the Big East | The Boneyard

Jurich interview: Louisville is as good as gone from the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, do they have an invite? Being upfront about wanting to join the B12 is fine, but what if things change and no invite comes? Isn't it better to be more supportive to the Big East in public?

Its one thing if you tell everyone at a Big East presidents meeting that you would leave for the B12 if invited, but I wouldnt talk about it in the media unless I had an invite in my back pocket. It tells the B12 they can have have you whenever they damn well please and it tells the rest of the BE that you are leaving. This type of thing can screw up expansion, which UL needs until the invite comes.

Reaction Score
Well, UConn and Rutgers would go if the ACC or Big 10 called. Cincinnati would go if anyone called. USF and UCF would go if the ACC or SEC called. SMU and UH would go if the Big 12 called. SD St and Boise St would go if the PAC 12 called. Louisville is no different.

The new BE is a decent football conference, either the 5th or 6th best. More schools will be added in the future. Going forward, it is going to become harder to schedule quality OOC games as more conferences go to 9 conference games, which is why the BE needed to add more teams and teams were willing to join.

Reaction Score
Don't blame Louisville one bit.

Anyone else want to jump in and tell us how great Marinatto is? Marinatto called Jurich "his hero". Is this strategy? Kiss everyone's ass and hope they stay?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you have listened to the interview, but Jurich doesn't sound like a man who believes his school doesn't have an invite. He all but comes out and says that Louisville is leaving.

You do understand they have to be invited to the Big 12 in order to join, correct?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you have listened to the interview, but Jurich doesn't sound like a man who believes his school doesn't have an invite. He all but comes out and says that Louisville is leaving.

What do you think, they have an offer and are just waiting for the right time to announce? All he's saying is they are going to be agressive in persuing that invitation, and will be upfront with the Big East as they do so.

Reaction Score
Seems to me to be pretty comparable to UCONN's position with respect to the ACC. More or less we both think the same thing. The Big East is not where we want to be. We think the ACC(UCONN) B-12(Louisville) is a better long term solution and we'll pursue that option aggressively.

Reaction Score
Except that the Big 12 needs to expand once its contract is after 2015-2016 season. Unless you subscribe to the Texas goes indy and OU and Ok State go to the SEC crowd. So for the Big 12 it isn't a matter of if, but when.

Since the Big 12 was choosing between WVU and Louisville the last time around, Louisville is guaranteed a slot in the Big 12 IF it expands. This is different than the ACC. The ACC doesn't need to expand. It might choose to do so, but its situation is a lot different than the Big 12's. The Fox deal is set, but the rest is up for renegotiation, as is the subject of the conference championship game. The Big 12 is probably waiting on the WVU litigation to see how that exit time of 27 months plays out. At some point, if the Big 12 knows that Louisville will be locked in for 27 months, then Louisville's notice would need to be given sometime around April of 2012 (allowing for 27 months plus no sooner than July of the year of departure.) It appears that most tv negotiations/renegotiations occure somewhere around 1 1/2 to 2 years before they are set to expire. This would be at or around winter of 2013-2014.

Seems to me to be pretty comparable to UCONN's position with respect to the ACC. More or less we both think the same thing. The Big East is not where we want to be. We think the ACC(UCONN) B-12(Louisville) is a better long term solution and we'll pursue that option aggressively.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Except that the Big 12 needs to expand once its contract is after 2015-2016 season. Unless you subscribe to the Texas goes indy and OU and Ok State go to the SEC crowd. So for the Big 12 it isn't a matter of if, but when.

Since the Big 12 was choosing between WVU and Louisville the last time around, Louisville is guaranteed a slot in the Big 12 IF it expands. This is different than the ACC. The ACC doesn't need to expand. It might choose to do so, but its situation is a lot different than the Big 12's. The Fox deal is set, but the rest is up for renegotiation, as is the subject of the conference championship game. The Big 12 is probably waiting on the WVU litigation to see how that exit time of 27 months plays out. At some point, if the Big 12 knows that Louisville will be locked in for 27 months, then Louisville's notice would need to be given sometime around April of 2012 (allowing for 27 months plus no sooner than July of the year of departure.) It appears that most tv negotiations/renegotiations occure somewhere around 1 1/2 to 2 years before they are set to expire. This would be at or around winter of 2013-2014.
I think this pretty much covers the B12's future. The big question is what happens to them next season if WV is locked into 2013 with the BE and Missouri is in the SEC in 2012? Do they stay with only nine teams?

Reaction Score
I think this pretty much covers the B12's future. The big question is what happens to them next season if WV is locked into 2013 with the BE and Missouri is in the SEC in 2012? Do they stay with only nine teams?
The Big XII has already stated that they need 10 schools in 2012 to fulfill there TV commitment. If they don't, they may lose revenue. As it stands, if WVU can not be released from its commitments to the Big East, then the Big XII either has to make UM stay, or find another partner. It really is screwed up because the judge in the Big East v. WVU, has stated that because of the complexity of this case, he probably won't be able to make a ruling before this summer. Louisville would not be a consideration because they would be in the same boat as WVU, so I don't believe that anyone can say for certain what's going to happen. Basically, it's all conjecture.

Reaction Score
The Big XII has already stated that they need 10 schools in 2012 to fulfill there TV commitment. If they don't, they may lose revenue. As it stands, if WVU can not be released from its commitments to the Big East, then the Big XII either has to make UM stay, or find another partner. It really is screwed up because the judge in the Big East v. WVU, has stated that because of the complexity of this case, he probably won't be able to make a ruling before this summer. Louisville would not be a consideration because they would be in the same boat as WVU, so I don't believe that anyone can say for certain what's going to happen. Basically, it's all conjecture.

Exactly. The whole WVU to B12 thing is pretty vital to their plans. I'm not sure they can really do anything to keep Mizzou though. The BE's 27 month requirement is probably something they wish they had thought of at this point. It at least makes it very messy to try to leave early.

Reaction Score
My belief, knowing how litigation sometimes works:

1. The Big XII knew that WVU was unlikely to win the lawsuit and join the XII in '12.

2. The Big XII knew they would make less money per team next year by only having nine schools.

3. No one wanted to vote for a plan that would cause teams to make less per capital in '12.

4. Thus, to save face, they voted for a plan that would cause them to make less per capital in '12, but did so only because WVU publicly said they could play in the XII in '12 so the Presidents can all be "surprised" when that doesn't happen and their revenue is cut.

No matter how many internet trolls cut and paste passages from the WVU complaint on this board as if anyone can't plead whatever they want, no sane lawyer advised the Big XII that WVU would ultimately win that case.

Reaction Score

1. The Big XII knew that WVU was unlikely to win the lawsuit and join the XII in '12.

2. The Big XII knew they would make less money per team next year by only having nine schools.

3. No one wanted to vote for a plan that would cause teams to make less per capital in '12.

4. Thus, to save face, they voted for a plan that would cause them to make less per capital in '12, but did so only because WVU publicly said they could play in the XII in '12 so the Presidents can all be "surprised" when that doesn't happen and their revenue is cut.

No matter how many internet trolls cut and paste passages from the WVU complaint on this board as if anyone can't plead whatever they want, no sane lawyer advised the Big XII that WVU would ultimately win that case.
I think that's very likely what happened. There is a small potential upside that West Virignia gets out of the Big East early and a small risk to West virginia that they B-12 decides to stiff them and take a Houston or someone at the last minute, but while we would all like the Big East to leave them hanging, it is unlikely that the Big East would not take the Mounties back. So there isn't much risk on either side and the reward is pretty large if they win.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think that's very likely what happened. There is a small potential upside that West Virignia gets out of the Big East early and a small risk to West virginia that they B-12 decides to stiff them and take a Houston or someone at the last minute, but while we would all like the Big East to leave them hanging, it is unlikely that the Big East would not take the Mounties back. So there isn't much risk on either side and the reward is pretty large if they win.
And if WV gets stiffed by the B12 and the BE takes them back, the NBE football has significantly improved. BB took a big hit, but football gained. Could be interesting come contract time.

Reaction Score

Have no idea why this isn't settled already? I really don't understand the position of the BE, especially trying to keep all 3 schools till 2014, when they are adding 5 schools in 2013. Make a deal with Syracuse and Pitt to leave in 2013, and than make WV pay 20 million to leave in 2012. Why does the BE want to piss off the SEC, the Big 12 and the ACC? When there are changes on the horizon regarding the BCS.

Reaction Score
Have no idea why this isn't settled already? I really don't understand the position of the BE, especially trying to keep all 3 schools till 2014, when they are adding 5 schools in 2013. Make a deal with Syracuse and Pitt to leave in 2013, and than make WV pay 20 million to leave in 2012. Why does the BE want to piss off the SEC, the Big 12 and the ACC? When there are changes on the horizon regarding the BCS.

The BE has to do what is best for it. Letting teams leave early lets any other school or conference know that the 27 month stipulation means nothing and that if you want a BE school sooner than that you can get them. No reason at all to let anyone out. Make them take it to court and try to win. We don't need to be friends with the other conferences. They already hate us anyway and are out to screw us.

Reaction Score
The BE has to do what is best for it. Letting teams leave early lets any other school or conference know that the 27 month stipulation means nothing and that if you want a BE school sooner than that you can get them. No reason at all to let anyone out. Make them take it to court and try to win. We don't need to be friends with the other conferences. They already hate us anyway and are out to screw us.
The TV people will probably make the decision for the BE in 2013 anyway. Doesnt make much sense for NBC to televise games for one year involving schools that the very next year are going to be on ESPN.

Reaction Score
The TV people will probably make the decision for the BE in 2013 anyway. Doesnt make much sense for NBC to televise games for one year involving schools that the very next year are going to be on ESPN.

And you root for? More importantly, do you actually believe you can modify reality by typing on a message board?

Reaction Score
And you root for? More importantly, do you actually believe you can modify reality by typing on a message board?
I "root for" UNC and I am fascinated by the whole conference realignment over the last year or so. The stuff about TV was just a guess based on the TV people for the Big 12 preferring WV over Louisville, thought perhaps NBC wouldnt want to promote future ACC schools on an BE broadcast.

There are a lot of people that feel the BE is going to be better in football with Boise etc. If that is the case why is the BE trying to force 3 schools to stay until 2014? The BCS is probably going to change after the 2012 season. So the only reason the BE is not going to let the 3 schools out one year early, which would actually be 5 or 6 months early, is FEAR.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

First off, in regards to the ACC, Swofford has already said publicly that he expects any team that joins the ACC to do so only after they have upheld their commitment to their current conference. So I doubt that the ACC is pissed off about anything. Why should WVU be allowed to try a weasel move to get out of the conference? Why should the BE bow to the Big 12? Why does the SEC even care about the Big 12 and BE squabbling? Whatever happens with the BCS is going to happen irrespective of how conferences deal with each other. They will choose what ever solution leads to the most $$$$$$$. It's business, not personal. Except for DeFillipo, anyways. He doesn't know about business, so he has to hang his hat on the personal hook.

Reaction Score
So the only reason the BE is not going to let the 3 schools out one year early, which would actually be 5 or 6 months early, is FEAR.
Fear of what exactly? Fear of watching Cuse and Pitt settle into the group of afterthoughts in the ACC the way BCU has?

Now that we have replacements, the schools will probably be let out for 2013 after negotiating an exit fee. There is plenty of time to work that out, that it hasn't yet happened is neither surprising nor significant, and it certainly doesn't mean the big east is afraid of something.

Of course, there is a benefit to keeping the schools around. A one year test trial with 12+ teams, and potentially a one year bump in the television contract due to more content.

Is the Big East is supposed to just ignore it's bylaws and let the schools out early, just because some random guy on the interweb says so, then what was the point of agreeing to the exit requirements in the first place?

Reaction Score
First off, in regards to the ACC, Swofford has already said publicly that he expects any team that joins the ACC to do so only after they have upheld their commitment to their current conference. So I doubt that the ACC is pissed off about anything. Why should WVU be allowed to try a weasel move to get out of the conference? Why should the BE bow to the Big 12? Why does the SEC even care about the Big 12 and BE squabbling? Whatever happens with the BCS is going to happen irrespective of how conferences deal with each other. They will choose what ever solution leads to the most $$$$$$$. It's business, not personal. Except for DeFillipo, anyways. He doesn't know about business, so he has to hang his hat on the personal hook.
I was under the impression that the conference commissioners had a vote in deciding the BCS contract? The current BCS system might actually be favorable to the BE, since there is almost zero chance the BE would lose the AQ status if the BCS system remains the same.

The SEC might not be able to get Missouri for 2012 if WV can't make it to the Big 12 by 2012. I also believe the ACC is willing to take Syracuse and Pitt early if they can negotiate an early release from the BE.

DeFillipo's comments were idiotic but what about this?
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...e-to-acc-conference-realignment-john-swofford
“The dynamics that are taking place within the college landscape today may create even greater opportunities for the conference to not only survive, but thrive,” Marinatto said. “We may even hold the opening round of our basketball tournament in Greensboro (N.C.),” he added, referring to the familiar ACC postseason locale."

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the conference commissioners had a vote in deciding the BCS contract? The current BCS system might actually be favorable to the BE, since there is almost zero chance the BE would lose the AQ status if the BCS system remains the same.

The SEC might not be able to get Missouri for 2012 if WV can't make it to the Big 12 by 2012. I also believe the ACC is willing to take Syracuse and Pitt early if they can negotiate an early release from the BE.

DeFillipo's comments were idiotic but what about this?
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...e-to-acc-conference-realignment-john-swofford
“The dynamics that are taking place within the college landscape today may create even greater opportunities for the conference to not only survive, but thrive,” Marinatto said. “We may even hold the opening round of our basketball tournament in Greensboro (N.C.),” he added, referring to the familiar ACC postseason locale."

So what, Swafford started it by saying they could play the ACC tourney in MSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom