Judge hears UConn's motion to dismiss Ollie lawsuit | The Boneyard

Judge hears UConn's motion to dismiss Ollie lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Judge Kari A. Dooley appeared to side with the university’s lawyers, who maintained that Ollie would have to actually file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities before he could sue UConn for attempting to end the arbitration process, which will determine whether the school owes him the $10 million that remained on his contract when he was fired last spring.

“That’s a hypothetical injury that may or may not come to pass based on so many different factors,” Dooley said. “A number of things have to happen before a loss or injury is inflicted.” Link

Judge Dooley? I like our chances.

(Still doomed.)

Reaction Score
The timing is making him look even worse with the current financial struggles the athletics department is facing.

Reaction Score
Someone pass this along to Ollie. I think we can end this today.

Very cute. What I said is true. Don’t tell me that he didn’t commit any violations and there was no just cause for firing. He’s not getting paid

CL82

Reaction Score
Very cute. What I said is true. Don’t tell me that he didn’t commit any violations and there was no just cause for firing. He’s not getting paid

Don't disagree, but maybe it's time for a handle change?

CL82

Reaction Score
Uh, yeah agreed. Mind telling me how? (Not sarcasm)
PM @temery. He can do it. (Click on the link and the click "start conversation."

Reaction Score
He in this instance is not saying if the firing for cause is legit. He is saying he was treated differently. That is what the judge will decide. I am NOT taking a side in this just explaining what is being argued. I do not think the judge would decide if the firing was justified or not, only if his being treated differently was justified. Legal minds, please fill in the gaps on what I am missing. Please not the "he didn't put in the work", I am not going through that.

Reaction Score
It would seem to be difficult to make a claim of racial discrimination based on one data point. They seem to only cite the comparison with Calhoun. That wouldn’t seem to be enough to fulfill the burden of proof (if that’s how this kind of thing works).

Reaction Score
That sentence makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed - it was somewhat clearer in the Courant article in the first post:

>>If Dooley dismisses Ollie’s lawsuit, the coach could theoretically file a racial discrimination complaint, forcing UConn to decide whether or not to withdraw from the arbitration process. If UConn did then pull out of arbitration, Ollie could sue again and send the sides back to court to argue over whether doing so was illegal.<<

I can’t see UConn deciding to throw away their negotiated contractual right that an employee gets one bite of the procedural apple (arbitration or a judicial/administrative forum - not both).

CL82

Reaction Score
Looks like somebody already had a bit of fun with it.
Yeah, that has Tom's fingerprints all over it. He flipped my avatar as well.

CL82

Reaction Score

>>If Dooley dismisses Ollie’s lawsuit, the coach could theoretically file a racial discrimination complaint, forcing UConn to decide whether or not to withdraw from the arbitration process. If UConn did then pull out of arbitration, Ollie could sue again and send the sides back to court to argue over whether doing so was illegal.<<

I can’t see UConn deciding to throw away their negotiated contractual right that an employee gets one bite of the procedural apple (arbitration or a judicial/administrative forum - not both).
Didn't the statute run on the discrimination complaint?

Reaction Score
PM @temery. He can do it. (Click on the link and the click "start conversation."

Yeah, JimDan just doesn't get it done, does it? JimHurley works, or perhaps, for the sake of consistency, he could go with JimOllie?

I recommend "JimHurley"

Thank you all for the recommendations. I will be requesting to have my name changed to JimHurley.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Didn't the statute run on the discrimination complaint?
Yes. Never got this part of the strategy. They are asking the federal court to rule on a hypothetical injury and in the meantime they missed the CHRO filing deadline. IIRC the EEOC deadline is longer so maybe that is the plan? Otherwise I don’t get it.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Ollie's argument about being discriminated will stand up in court. Different AD, NCAA accused Calhoun of allegations before Herbst became president and most importantly, Calhoun's assistance were the ones who actually committed the infractions - not Calhoun himself. I don't recall seeing Ollie's assistants being named in the violations. Either way, just a sad time in the history of UConn basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom