JUCO QB Chandler Whitmer...UCONN on his short list | The Boneyard

JUCO QB Chandler Whitmer...UCONN on his short list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From ESPN inSider....

Chandler Whitmer (El Dorado, Kan./Butler Community College) is a firm believer in second chances. The former Illinois redshirt freshman quarterback feels like he received his second chance courtesy of Butler.

In transferring from Illinois to Butler, Whitmer was hoping to get repetitions in an effort to find an FBS home that suited his game. After a quality year as Butler’s starting quarterback, Whitmer now is balancing offers from Connecticut, Memphis, Kent State, Murray State and Texas State. He also is hearing from schools such as Arkansas, Baylor and Ole Miss.

“Anytime you have the opportunity to play Division I football, it’s most certainly a blessing,” Whitmer said. “Some take it for granted. It’s been a great year going to play junior college ball and getting the chance to get back to that.”

Whitmer, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound, pro-style quarterback, has practically narrowed his choices to Connecticut, Memphis and Kent State. He said he would like to make a final decision by the end of next week, but a concrete deadline hasn’t been set.

Whitmer is looking for a program that will allow him playing time in an offense that will show off his arm. He threw for 2,817 yards and 24 touchdowns and led Butler to an 11-1 record and a No. 2 ranking in the NJCAA poll, finishing behind East Mississippi Community College (Scooba, Miss.). Butler defeated Trinity Valley Community College (Athens, Texas) last Sunday to win the Citizens Bank Bowl in Pittsburg, Kan.

Whitmer is hoping his second opportunity at an FBS school has a similar storyline as another junior college quarterback, former Blinn College (Brenham, Texas) standout and Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton.

“He had a great run. What he did was pretty unbelievable,” Whitmer said of Newton, now in the running for NFL Rookie of the Year with the Carolina Panthers. “I just want to get to my next school and help them win some games and then maybe get them to a BCS bowl.

“I just want the opportunity to play early and compete. I want to be on a good team around good players in a solid conference. I’m just glad to have the chance to be where I’m at.”

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
he would be here in janurary i would asume so news should be coming quick.

Reaction Score
Competition is always good (except when it continues too long into the season!), and there is certainly some room here, especially with redshirts avail to Cochran and Nebrich.

That being said, this kid turned the ball over FIVE times in his final JC game. I'm not sure that Mike Nebrich isn't still our best bet at QB next year, esp if the kid puts in the work now...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Do we have a good sense on what kind of offense that PP wants to run? This guy is a pro style...Cochrane is pro style....but I thought PP has talked about having a QB with wheels who could keep the D honest. Which is it?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
^i think so also. he redshirted at Ill, then played 1 semester at butler cc. so he has 3 years left but no rs if i got it right.

kid was a 4* qb top 25 with several bcs offers out of hs. i don't like his other offers now tho, wonder what the deal is.

Reaction Score
“I just want to get to my next school and help them win some games and then maybe get them to a BCS bowl"

only one of those three teams is in a BCS conference

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
memphis could be in the BE and we dont know it yet:D. seems like he is recruit #19 for us!

hs vid. just go right to the 40sec mark please.

Reaction Score
The guy is obviously hoping for that late offer like the JUCO TE got from Oklahoma. UConn is the obvious leader in the clubhouse, but the waiting game is on.

Reaction Score
Actually if you compare Lorenzens and Hernadez's stats, they are virtually identical. Strange but true.

Reaction Score
Actually if you compare Lorenzens and Hernadez's stats, they are virtually identical. Strange but true.

Including turnovers?

DJ Hernandez, in my view, threw and ran the ball more than well enough to be an average Big East QB. What he didn't do well enough, however, was avoid turning the ball over.

Reaction Score
On what planet is this true? Not usre how a guy who started 22 games and a guy who started 9 can have the same staats, but that is just me, I guess. One guy won 15 games, the other had what, 4 wins?

Reaction Score
On what planet is this true? Not usre how a guy who started 22 games and a guy who started 9 can have the same staats, but that is just me, I guess. One guy won 15 games, the other had what, 4 wins?

Please stop introducing facts - they get in the way of really good arguments being made here.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the stalker in me teels u guys this:
seems like we are his only bcs offer right now but is is waiting until last minute for baylor/ole to offer, if they don't then uconn is his schools. he is friends with s phillips(our bc transfer) on fb....

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Ole Miss won't offer as they are going to the dual threat quarterback and getting away from the pro style set.

the stalker in me teels u guys this:
seems like we are his only bcs offer right now but is is waiting until last minute for baylor/ole to offer, if they don't then uconn is his schools. he is friends with s phillips(our bc transfer) on fb....

Reaction Score
Ole Miss won't offer as they are going to the dual threat quarterback and getting away from the pro style set.

Nutt is out and I don't believe they named a replacement yet. Which is another reason why I don't think you'll see Ole Miss offer.

Edit: My bad. They hired Mr. Freeze from Arkansas St. Really?

Reaction Score
Yeah, because Lorenzen didn't win any games at UCONN. We'd have been way better off with two more years of DJ Hernandez at quarterback...
I was a fan of TL, but he did not live up to his 4 star JC hype. I am not sold on JUCO players yet, but I could be swayed I suppose.

However, I think that we would have been better off with Dennis Brown. Kid was never given a chance after TL got anointed by RE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom